Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,730,983 Members 45,922 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

MyVerizon app is now checking if phones are rooted!

Tip us?

aviwdoowks
Old
Thanks Meter 411
The only way to stop Vzw from having knowledge of your root is to not let the app EVER run.
Moto X, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.

The Tallest
Old
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by JustROLLIN View Post
Yeah, thats what I did with my Moto X. Its actually really nice not being in contract since I get to keep my unlimited data. Also, I have the opportunity to upgrade whenever I want cause I have newer equipment I can afford to sell and cycle the revenue into the next new phone.
Yup, I'm definitely waiting to see what the Moto X 2 is going to be like, I just might buy it when it comes out. I still have my Nexus running CM 11 on the last known good nightly 1/17/2014 and I'm not sure what I'm going to do with it. I'm not even sure if there is a market for the Nexus anymore.

ghostt021
Old
Thanks Meter 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks View Post
The only way to stop Vzw from having knowledge of your root is to not let the app EVER run.
I deleted that and all Verizon app as soon as I rooted. Not that I care (Dev Edition). I figure knowing Verizon their probably trying to figure out how many rooted phones are dev edition some they can try forcing Motorola to either not sale dev edition phones or not cover them under the warranty.

Eclipsed X
This week's favor

hawkjm73
Old
Thanks Meter 29
Interesting that in worrying over what Verizon will do with the knowledge we are rooted, nobody seems much concerned that, although root can be checked for in other ways, Verizon is actually trying to be given root privileges on our phones. There is no way under the sun I'd give then that kind of access.

I would love to assume root users would be savvy enough to not give such an untrusted app root, but those popups can be like any other warning. See it enough, and you start to ignore it and automatically hit approve. Somebody out there is gonna give it access eventually. Maybe it won't bite in this iteration, but I do not trust Verizon to not take advantage here.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

buschris
Old
Thanks Meter 22
updated ISIS Mobile Wallet is also checking for root
VZW Moto X x1060 non Dev Edition unlocked 4.4.2

jco23
Old
Thanks Meter 470
Folks worry too much. Vzw can't and won't do anything to you. The issue is with Motorola, as root voids their warranty. And Motorola already knows if your phone has root by simply pinging it. I had this done first hand last year in my RAZR m.
Think of it this way: rooting is like modding your car. Sure, it may void the warranty that has either expired or is about to, but the parent company won't seize your car, and its still street legal.
BTW, I granted access just to see what would happen. And guess what, nothing.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Primary Device: Motorola Moto X (XT1060)
Xposed with Gravity Box

Previous Device: Motorola Razr M (XT907)
ROM: AOSP KitKat 4.4
Recovery: TWRP 2.6.3.0

Previous Device: Motorola Razr MAXX (XT912)
ROM: Stock JB 4.1.2
Recovery: Safestrap

Previous Device: Samsung Droid Charge (SCH i510)
ROM: Tweaked Lite 1.0
Kernel: Stock FP8
RFS

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 639
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco23 View Post
Folks worry too much. Vzw can't and won't do anything to you. The issue is with Motorola, as root voids their warranty. And Motorola already knows if your phone has root by simply pinging it. I had this done first hand last year in my RAZR m.
Think of it this way: rooting is like modding your car. Sure, it may void the warranty that has either expired or is about to, but the parent company won't seize your car, and its still street legal.

You could look at it as Motorola is responsible for warranty, after all the Moto Maker and Dev Editions are purchased directly from Moto, not Verizon... but what about those who have a "pre-moto maker" X from Verizon, or a Galaxy S4, Galaxy S3, LG G2, HTC One, etc.. all the Non-Moto Verizon devices? They are purchased from Verizon, and Verizon handles the warranty. So as I posted earlier, VZW could certainly use this information to flag your account that your device warranty is voided should you call in for support.

The other thing to consider is, unlike modifying a car and it still being street legal on PUBLIC roads, VZW and THEIR network has Terms of Service that you signed as part of your contract. There are/were statements in there about modifying a phone's stock software not being allowed.

So it is a valid concern that Verizon may either flag your account as device warranty voided, and/or no longer compliant with their TOS. And while Verizon might not be concerned with your Moto Warranty if you root, Moto's warranty does have language that implies your warranty will be voided if you root.

That being said, will Verizon actually take any action or do anything with this knowledge? I have no clue.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

ghostt021
Old
Thanks Meter 1250
Quote:
Originally Posted by jco23 View Post

Here in the sunny state of Florida nodded cars are not street legal. Just must law enforcement agencies jus not enforce the laws unless of course there's an epidemic of street race is going on.

Eclipsed X
This week's favor