5,600,123 Members 42,436 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

One phone, two SIM (help with question)

Tip us?

tgerbracht
Old
(Last edited by tgerbracht; 2nd February 2014 at 11:46 PM.)
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Default One phone, two SIM (help with question)

I'm curious to try T-Mobile's network with my VZW Moto X. I've read that it may very well work ok and I wanted to get a sense of the network in my area by trying this plan:

http://m.cnet.com/news/is-this-the-b...-ever/57587175

Basically I buy a tmobile SIM, pick the prepaid plan for one month and pop it in. Now here's my question:

1) I don't want to port my Verizon number yet. I'll get assigned a random one right? At a later point can I do a port?

2) Swapping SIM from one network to the other, will Verizon know/care, unintentionally shoot my number over?

3) I plan to use T-Mobile SIM for a few hours at a time and then get back to Verizon for most of the day. Will I need to tinker with apn settings or should this work automatically.

4) Our X has a micro SIM right?

I'd welcome any other thoughts!

Mont
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgerbracht View Post
I'm curious to try T-Mobile's network with my VZW Moto X. I've read that it may very well work ok and I wanted to get a sense of the network in my area by trying this plan:

http://m.cnet.com/news/is-this-the-b...-ever/57587175

Basically I buy a tmobile SIM, pick they prepaid plan for one month and pop it in. Now here's my question:

1) I don't want to port my Verizon number yet. I'll get assigned a random one right? At a later point I can do I do a port?

2) Swapping SIM from one network to the other, will Verizon know/care, unintentionally shoot my number over?

3) I plan to use T-Mobile SIM for a few hours at a time and then get back to Verizon for most of the day. Will I need to tinker with apn settings or should this work automatically.

4) Our X has a micro SIM right?

I'd welcome any other thoughts!
Nano SIM

Sent From Moto X
My Devices:

MOTO X XT1053 4.4.2 KANGAKAT BY B4STID
Kernel: Faux Ultimate kernel @1.944GHz
LG L7 P708 CM 10.1 BETA 6 By tudorsirb Kernel: TeamHackLG's Kernel

Last "Stable" ROM for P708G (Camera Working) CM 10.1 KERNEL
The Following User Says Thank You to Mont For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1643
Yeah ....you're gonna be outta luck with the different sized sims. But....you can almost bet the Moto x will have better....or at least the same radio performance than any phone out there.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Oh...that may not be your concern...you wanna compare carriers. K....sorry. lol

tgerbracht
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by kj2112 View Post
Yeah ....you're gonna be outta luck with the different sized sims. But....you can almost bet the Moto x will have better....or at least the same radio performance than any phone out there.

---------- Post added at 06:56 PM ---------- Previous post was at 06:55 PM ----------

Oh...that may not be your concern...you wanna compare carriers. K....sorry. lol

Yeah, I just needed to know which size SIM to order. Any other thoughts about the other questions?

phoenix_rizzen
Old
Thanks Meter 67
The pre-paid SIM will have it's own phone number. Using it will not affect your Verizon account or number in any way. You have to request a number be ported from one carrier to another. It's not automatic.

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to phoenix_rizzen For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1643
Quote:
Originally Posted by tgerbracht View Post
Yeah, I just needed to know which size SIM to order. Any other thoughts about the other questions?
Honestly I'm not sure. I've never done what you're going to. Don't see any issue....as long as you have 2 active Sims.

The Following User Says Thank You to kj2112 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mike7143
Old
Thanks Meter 8
What's this? Is that the catch?
"This plan is only available for devices purchased from Wal-Mart or devices activated on T-Mobile.com"

tgerbracht
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 17
That just means buy a SIM via website activate the pre paid plan

ewrides
Old
Thanks Meter 0
So did you activate a T-Mobile sim ? I have been wanting to try this as well to see how tmo coverage was in my area. Where did you get your Sim from and what plan did you try?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk