Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[One Stop Shop] How do I root my Moto X - Let's end the confusion.

OP Darth

24th July 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #1  
XDA: ASSIST
OP Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,855

13,349 posts
More
This thread is to help people figure out what root method is for them and where to go to find out how.

Please simply direct members to this thread or the individual threads for each method.....there's no need to repeat this stuff in thread after thread. A quick link and good luck message keeps XDA clean.

Please send a thanks (with that little thanks button thingy) to these dedicated members who worked hard at these guides and methods.

***A WORD of WARNING!!!*** No matter the model, dev edition....locked bootloader, unlocked bootloader.... Doesn't matter....NO MOTO X can be safely downgraded from 4.4.2 or higher. Not without GREAT risk. (4.4 can be downgraded to 4.2.2 POST camera update for SlapmyMoto root method...but NOT to 4.2.2 PRE camera update.....that will equal a guaranteed brick.) Got it? Good!

Unlocked Bootloaders (Any Android Version)

Note: See Post 70 for Bootloader Unlocking info.

So, you got a Dev Edition or another model that can have its bootloader unlocked.....awesome! You got it made! Doesn't matter what Android version you're on, the procedure is the same.
See this awesome GUIDE . There's a section on "How to Unlock your Bootloader.". And a section on "Rooting Unlocked Bootloader."

Easy! Done!

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4 or lower ONLY (At&T, Verizon and Republic Wireless...and those who just don't want to unlock their bootloader, due to warranty or whatever.)

Now it gets tricky!!!

For devices still on 4.4 or lower you can root AND disable write protection! Awesome!! But....to stay this way...you can never upgrade your android version past 4.4. As it stands today anyway.

Again, see this great GUIDE and read the section on "Rooting Locked Bootloader.". This is quite involved and takes some work. Read read read....and proceed carefully.

(Thanks to @jcase for creating the methods used to achieve this. &#128077

If you're already on 4.4.2 or higher....sorry, this will NOT work for you. And no, you can't downgrade from 4.4.2.... Not without great risk!!! Whoever says otherwise....is just plain wrong.

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4.3 and lower. (Tho, for 4.4 or lower, the method above will give you write protection disabled....a big plus!!)

Well, you can achieve root, but unfortunately, write protection will still be enabled. Meaning...no writing to the system partition, and any changes you make, root wise, will reset after a power down or hard reboot. So some root apps will work fine....and some may not.

This app by @iKrYpToNiTe combines towelroot with pie and is very simple to use. Works up to Android 4.4.3 Check out this thread for his TowelPieRoot for the Moto X app!

Locked bootloaders on Android 4.4.4

Unfortunately, there is no root method for you guys as of today. And again....no....you can't downgrade. Not without significant risk.

I'd like to list all the threads I linked and credit the members who created these great guides.

For lots of Moto X info and help, there's this great Guide by @dray_jr
[REF]The Complete Moto X Guides/Information Thread

@iKrYpToNiTes app TowelPieRoot for the Moto X automates the towelroot/pie setup.

A great outside link here by @KidJoe , the Motorola Moto X How To page (The only outside link here......cause it's really good!)

And let's not forget my friend @Perseus71 for this great Moto X resource thread!!! [INDEX][REF][GUIDE][TUTORIAL][RESOURCE] Welcome to your Motorola Moto X - Resource

And a special thanks to our Moto X support Gurus. These guys bust their humps helping the Moto X community and can help with almost any issue!! Just post an issue anywhere in the Moto X section and they are sure to show up!
@samwathegreat and @KidJoe

If these guys tell you something....I can assure you its very solid advice!

I hope this clears up the confusion with rooting your Moto X. Follow the links based on your situation.... And read, read and read again....then do!!!

You can ask questions here if you wish and hopefully the community can assist you....but you would probably be better served asking in the links to your root method.

Happy Rooting!!
Last edited by Darth; 14th September 2014 at 01:23 AM.
The Following 44 Users Say Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #2  

13,349 posts
More
Additional option for having root with write protection enabled......

From @iKrYpToNiTe :

Okay for any user who is on 4.4 and lower they can root and disable write protection. Then they can install safestrap and flash any stock based rom to the stock slot. They then need to boot into the bootloader to flash the new stock kernel and baseband via fastboot, then reboot and enjoy

my old stock based 4.4.2 rom is here http://rootzwiki.com/topic/116025-ro...52-kitkat-442/

Remember to thank the man if you visit his thread.

Thanks ikryptonite for the addition. 👍
Last edited by Darth; 29th July 2014 at 02:47 AM.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2014, 03:03 AM   |  #3  

13,349 posts
More
Reserved again
24th July 2014, 03:06 AM   |  #4  
Flag Atlanta GA
Thanks Meter: 151

848 posts
More
This is great. Thanks for taking the time to put this together dude.
The Following User Says Thank You to sivarticus85 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2014, 03:10 AM   |  #5  

13,349 posts
More
@iKrYpToNiTe

I would love for you to write up something and pm me about your ROM method and exactly who it can apply to? Short, sweet and a link to your thread. And I'll add it to the opening post.

I've always been unlocked.... I don't know enough about your method.

Also similar roms that work the same? If you don't mind. 👍
you can pm me and I'll add it in.

Thanks my friend! (You don't have to of course.... Just thought your ROM and similar are options too)
24th July 2014, 03:13 AM   |  #6  

13,349 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivarticus85

This is great. Thanks for taking the time to put this together dude.

I hope it gets read! Lol. The guys that made those threads put a lot of work into them. Yet new root threads pop up daily.

Let's stop repeating root steps and start pointing to the info already available guys.
The Following User Says Thank You to Darth For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2014, 03:20 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 1,790

2,029 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ

I hope it gets read! Lol. The guys that made those threads put a lot of work into them. Yet new root threads pop up daily.

Let's stop repeating root steps and start pointing to the info already available guys.

+1 !!!!!!!!!
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
24th July 2014, 04:34 AM   |  #8  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 956

2,274 posts
More
I might suggest a few things to clear up the 4.4.2 and Pie, and.... on LOCKED bootloaders.

Quote:
Originally Posted by KJ

Locked Bootloaders on 4.4.2 and lower.

Well, you can achieve root, but unfortunately, write protection will still be enabled. Meaning...no writing to the system partition, and any changes you make, root wise, will reset after a power down or hard reboot. So some root a apps will work fine....and some may not.

I would remove "and lower" as while that statement applies to 4.4.2, "lower" would then mean 4.4.0 which SlapMyMoto and MotoWpNoMo still work to root and disable write protection.

Something else I would re-consider... While I agree this thread -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ation-t2603358 is great and contains a lot of useful information, it seems to me that many newbies don't understand it, or overlook the information they seek which is why they are asking questions.

For rooting with an unlocked bootloader, might I suggest telling people to get the latest TWRP, SuperSU, and mFastboot, then use -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...cking-t2649738

http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...ation-t2603358 does not include how to setup and configure ADB and mFastboot, put them in your path, etc. Something like this -> http://mark.cdmaforums.com/ADB.htm. It is needed unless someone uses a "tool kit" to root, and many new users don't have a clue about Platform Tools, ADB, or mFastboot.
24th July 2014, 04:34 AM   |  #9  
Flag Dallas
Thanks Meter: 116

265 posts
More
Heyo there! Looks great so far. Just needs a little formatting and this could be really helpful! I'm humbled by having my name linked in the same thread as jcase and geohot. I do believe @iKrYpToNiTe made an app which makes the Pie+Towelroot easier making my version obsolete.
Last edited by Verttex; 24th July 2014 at 04:39 AM.
24th July 2014, 04:45 AM   |  #10  

13,349 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by dier325

Heyo there! Looks great so far. Just needs a little formatting and this could be really helpful! I'm humbled by having my name linked in the same thread as jcase and geohot. I do believe @iKrYpToNiTe made an app which makes the Pie+Towelroot easier making my version obsolete.

That will be coming. No way I'm attempting any of that on my mobile browser. Lol. Makes me wanna step on the phone.

As soon as I get time on my family laptop....it'll get a facelift!

You're guide is well laid out for sure....that's why its here. 👍

Alternative threads may be added....but only if they have differences. (for different results or methods) Won't be adding basically the same info repeated....just choices. Just in case anyone wonders later.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread