Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,783,072 Members 45,067 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Overheat Damage from Charging?

Tip us?

Mike7143
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 8
Default Overheat Damage from Charging?

Ok so I'm slightly panicking... I forgot to charge my phone 2 nights ago, so I went the next day from like 50% down to 4% maybe (awesome battery life coming from my Gnex!). Plugged it in to charge. Woke up 8 hours later and the phone was pretty warm, but fully charged. Well, I got in the car to go to work and the screen just went black when I tried to play some music and BT, then the phone rebooted. It was still kinda warm so I just turned it off for a half hour on the way to work. Left it sit on my desk all day (busy day) and start using it this evening. So far the phone has rebooted itself twice now on its own. I cleared cache and dalvik thinking it'd help after the first reboot. Is it possible somehow the full charge up and heat maybe broke something? My verizon dev edition is only a few weeks old!

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 171
My phone has never gotten more then a gentle warmth to it while charging - are you using the stock power adapter? If it got hot enough to damage it from charging then you should have it replaced.
It also might just need a full reset, but that will erase all data.
Deep in the Heart of the State of the Art with my Moto X.

alpha-niner64
Old
Thanks Meter 73
All smartphones have PMIC(Power Management Integrated Circuit) on their boards to prevent the battery from being overcharged and having too much current running through such that the battery would feel anything more than mild under the most stressful loads. If a phone(our Moto X) has Qualcomm's Quick Charge 1.0 and is pulling the full 1.1A from a battery at 20%, then the battery is going to feel warm as the current-draw is at its highest from 20% to 80%. Here's a line-graph comparing charge times to illustrate the point where Quick Charge 2.0 was being graphed.

Source

With regard to the OP's situation: I have no idea without a logcat file to say for sure.