XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

For all owners of the T-Mobile 32GB MotoMaker phones

Tip us?

Derbyman32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Default For all owners of the T-Mobile 32GB MotoMaker phones

If I understand correctly we will void our warranty if we root our 32GB Moto X. The owners of the developers model is excempt to this rule. I believe from everything I have read that the software and hardware with these phones are identical. My question is how do you feel about not having the ability to root without losing warranty. I can see reasons both ways good and bad but color difference and a logo that says Developers Eddition should not change things for identical phones in my oppinion.

Interested in seeing what others think and maybe someone has asked Motorola about this?
Past Phones:
HD2
G2
Htc Sensation
Galaxy 3
Galaxy Note 2
Nexus 7
Nexus 5
Moto X
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Derbyman32 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

charlie-n
Old
Thanks Meter 25
If you root as long as you return to stock you're not voided for warranty service, it's unloving your boatloader that your talking about, if you unlock that then yes for sure it voids your warranty.

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

Derbyman32
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-n View Post
If you root as long as you return to stock you're not voided for warranty service, it's unloving your boatloader that your talking about, if you unlock that then yes for sure it voids your warranty.

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app
Thanks for that, I thought rooting was the problem. I guess I have always unlocked the bootloader and rooted my previous android devices in the same step and just didn't realize the differnce. So the people with developers phones can unlock their bootloaders but I can't. Do you know why Motorola would cover one and not the other?
Past Phones:
HD2
G2
Htc Sensation
Galaxy 3
Galaxy Note 2
Nexus 7
Nexus 5
Moto X

Vivjen
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by Derbyman32 View Post
Do you know why Motorola would cover one and not the other?
Motorola needs reason why DE more expensive

Sorry for asking here, but do you know how to remove unlocked bootloader warning during start up (just have got e-mail with bootloader unlock code for DE, but worry about reselling it in future)

dew.man
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Quote:
Originally Posted by Vivjen View Post
Motorola needs reason why DE more expensive

Sorry for asking here, but do you know how to remove unlocked bootloader warning during start up (just have got e-mail with bootloader unlock code for DE, but worry about reselling it in future)
Simply flash a replacement logo.bin file from the themes section.

Cubfan99
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Screw Motorola. I am going to unlock mine. When is the last time you had to do a warranty claim on a phone? I wonder if unlocking also cancels the $85 protection plan for those who bought it?

-- Sent from my Moto X on Tapatalk Pro

Rhiannon224
Old
Thanks Meter 409
Quote:
Originally Posted by Cubfan99 View Post
Screw Motorola. I am going to unlock mine. When is the last time you had to do a warranty claim on a phone? I wonder if unlocking also cancels the $85 protection plan for those who bought it?

-- Sent from my Moto X on Tapatalk Pro

It does.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
Current devices;
Moto X

Previous devices;
Samsung Nexus S; sold
Samsung Captivate; sold
Note 2; sold
HTC Sensation; gone

mech1164
Old
Thanks Meter 1
At this point I don't have a need to unlock and root. That said I will probably do it anyway. More than likely after the year warranty is up. For now I'm fine with it.

Sent from my Moto X via Tapatalk

kolyan
Old
Thanks Meter 170
If you have a hardware defect, not always root would mean your warranty 100% voided. I don't know about Motorola, but I had my HTC replaced without any issues before

erikikaz
Old
Thanks Meter 93
I always test out the phone for a good week or so before unlocking. Just in case there are any problems.

But, as the previous poster said, unlocking shouldn't prevent them from fixing obvious hardware issues like broken speakers or something else that's a hardware failure.