Petition: Allow GSM Unlocked Variant - BL Unlock w/o Voiding Warranty

Tip us?

byt3b0mb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Cool Petition: Allow GSM Unlocked Variant - BL Unlock w/o Voiding Warranty

Hey all,

I created this petition to urge Moto and Google to incorporate the Unlocked GSM Variant (TMO) into the Developer Edition policy and allow the warranty to remain intact when unlocking bootloader.

Reasons:

1. Device is sold Unbranded
2. Device is sold with Unlocked Radio
3. Device is sold at Full Cost (no subsidy from Carrier / No Contract)
4. Cost is the same as Developer Edition ($549 for 32gb)
5. Developer Edition comes in one color - including Unlocked GSM Variant will allow Devs to use MotoMaker to customize their device and enjoy benefits of Developer Edition.

I figured that XDA is the best place to get some momentum to this petition and get it in front of the eyes of Moto and Google.

Please sign and share:
http://www.change.org/petitions/moto...loader-unlock?
The Following User Says Thank You to byt3b0mb For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

charlie-n
Old
Thanks Meter 25
Signed

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app
The Following User Says Thank You to charlie-n For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

anirudh412
Old
Thanks Meter 311
Quote:
Originally Posted by byt3b0mb View Post
Hey all,

I created this petition to urge Moto and Google to incorporate the Unlocked GSM Variant (TMO) into the Developer Edition policy and allow the warranty to remain intact when unlocking bootloader.

Reasons:

1. Device is sold Unbranded
2. Device is sold with Unlocked Radio
3. Device is sold at Full Cost (no subsidy from Carrier / No Contract)
4. Cost is the same as Developer Edition ($549 for 32gb)
5. Developer Edition comes in one color - including Unlocked GSM Variant will allow Devs to use MotoMaker to customize their device and enjoy benefits of Developer Edition.

I figured that XDA is the best place to get some momentum to this petition and get it in front of the eyes of Moto and Google.

Please sign and share:
http://www.change.org/petitions/moto...loader-unlock?
I think you would have a much better chance if you created a petition to include the Dev Edition in the Moto Maker process. BL unlock voids warranty if it comes tied to a carrier. Simple as that. I dont think Motorola has the sole say in the matter. People would be rushing to the T-Mobile store for warranty replacements if they mess up their unlocked BL phones. Not something a carrier would want to deal with.
The Following User Says Thank You to anirudh412 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

byt3b0mb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh412 View Post
I think you would have a much better chance if you created a petition to include the Dev Edition in the Moto Maker process. BL unlock voids warranty if it comes tied to a carrier. Simple as that. I dont think Motorola has the sole say in the matter. People would be rushing to the T-Mobile store for warranty replacements if they mess up their unlocked BL phones. Not something a carrier would want to deal with.
This device is not sold by t-mobile in stores, and is not supported for exchange or warranty purposes by t-mobile. t-mobile directs owners to motorola. That is why the petition is for Motorola.

byt3b0mb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by charlie-n View Post
Signed

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app
Thank you!!!

buschris
Old
Thanks Meter 19
signed.
The Following User Says Thank You to buschris For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

byt3b0mb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by buschris View Post
signed.
Thanks!!

UncleMike
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by anirudh412 View Post
I think you're right. Possibly the engraving (or whatever the process is) would be an unchangeable "Developer Edition", Luke what comes on the DE models now.

I think the same should apply any full price device purchased directly from Motorola. If the carrier didn't sell or subsidize it, they should be under no obligation to provide warranty support, and should have no say in whether unlocking the boot loader voids the warranty.

I'm signing the petition - I'd much rather have my DE in black, though I have no intention of buying another one just to change color.

Sent from my Moto X using TapaTalk
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to UncleMike For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

alpha-niner64
Old
Thanks Meter 60
The lack of warranty acts as a paygate to prevent inexperienced users from claiming. If you were of the experienced type, you would have gotten a DE phone. The best compromise here is a customizable DE phone such that people like us doesn't have to make the choice between Motomaker with 16GB option or the DE phone. I would support the latter initiative.

byt3b0mb
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 36
Quote:
Originally Posted by alpha-niner64 View Post
The lack of warranty acts as a paygate to prevent inexperienced users from claiming. If you were of the experienced type, you would have gotten a DE phone. The best compromise here is a customizable DE phone such that people like us doesn't have to make the choice between Motomaker with 16GB option or the DE phone. I would support the latter initiative.
you can get a 32gb (which is what i got) through motomaker unlike the carrier branded ones. Also, since the unlocked GSM edition is already part of motomaker, it would be easier for motorola to update the policy, rather than recode motomaker to include de devices. not that i am going to trade what i purchased, but I would buy a de version if i could change the colors. If i were to buy a de and change the colors right now, i would be voiding the warranty because i would have to disassemble my device and swap out parts.

just makes sense to me, hence why i started the petition