Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,769,951 Members 52,767 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Price dropping and Resell value

Tip us?

unk3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Price dropping and Resell value

So what started off as a 500$ unlocked (16gb) to 400$ and now to 300$ all in 5 months. [August Release Date]

What sort of resell value are we looking at before the Moto X2 comes out around august?? Im only curious because I would like to purchase this moto x unlocked phone now for 300 and sell around July/August.

At this rate, its looking like ~100$-125$? What do you guys think?

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 691
You should not consider a smartphone as an investment. It depend on how much more discount Google will give it. If the price stay the same, I would say if you keep it mint, my guess is $240.

You couldn't even buy a mint (international) Galaxy S2 for $125 and its 3 years old.

kirdroid
Old
Thanks Meter 310
Quote:
Originally Posted by unk3 View Post
So what started off as a 500$ unlocked (16gb) to 400$ and now to 300$ all in 5 months. [August Release Date]

What sort of resell value are we looking at before the Moto X2 comes out around august?? Im only curious because I would like to purchase this moto x unlocked phone now for 300 and sell around July/August.

At this rate, its looking like ~100$-125$? What do you guys think?
Probably around $250 if you keep it in good condition.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk

sicmadek
Old
Thanks Meter 30
I just sold my black Verizon branded x on swappa for $290. That right there bad for the $299 unlocked motomaker I just ordered.

unk3
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by eksasol View Post
You should not consider a smartphone as an investment. It depend on how much more discount Google will give it. If the price stay the same, I would say if you keep it mint, my guess is $240.

You couldn't even buy a mint (international) Galaxy S2 for $125 and its 3 years old.

I am not looking at this as an investment. I am simply need a temporary to use a 4G/LTE compatible phone because I am using ATT Iphone4s on Tmobile network, which is very spotty due to different bands (And lack of). I will probably look into a top tier phone like S5 or Iphone6 come July. I am just looking to buy one motox new (take care of it) then sell it and have it hopefully cost me 20-30$ a month on average.

Im happy everyones so optimistic that till still be near the 200$ range considering its only $300-330 now. Whats the best way to sell? Craigslist, ebay or Swappa? Thanks guys!

eksasol
Old
Thanks Meter 691
Quote:
I am not looking at this as an investment. I am simply need a temporary to use a 4G/LTE compatible phone because I am using ATT Iphone4s on Tmobile network, which is very spotty due to different bands (And lack of). I will probably look into a top tier phone like S5 or Iphone6 come July. I am just looking to buy one motox new (take care of it) then sell it and have it hopefully cost me 20-30$ a month on average.

Im happy everyones so optimistic that till still be near the 200$ range considering its only $300-330 now. Whats the best way to sell? Craigslist, ebay or Swappa? Thanks guys!
Craiglist only if you carry a Remington 12 gauge for protection, otherwise Swappa is hassle free. You might be able to get a few dollars more from eBay, but they have lots of fees so in the end it's not worth it.

I think you should look to buy a phone as a keeper than just temp use. People have said Moto X feel faster than their Note 3 due to better software optimization. Seems like a waste if you're buying it just to use LTE temporarily.

@rbiter
Old
Thanks Meter 958
Quote:
Originally Posted by sicmadek View Post
I just sold my black Verizon branded x on swappa for $290. That right there bad for the $299 unlocked motomaker I just ordered.
And it's a verizon not an unlocked gsm.

sent from my sm-9005.

Restola
Old
Thanks Meter 513
Quote:

Why not a moto g?

Also IIRC ebay + paypal fees run about 13% on a phone I think - about $40 on a $300 sale? Swappa is $10 + paypal fees (3%) - about $19.

scottjb
Old
Thanks Meter 147
Quote:
So what started off as a 500$ unlocked (16gb) to 400$ and now to 300$...
It actually started out at $600 for those who just can't wait when a new phone is released. :/ I've sold phones on eBay and Craigslist. As mentioned, you might get a little more from eBay but Craigslist is usually faster. Regarding the shotgun comment, always be sure to meet in a public place and don't give your description until you arrive. Most people are decent and just looking for the item you're selling.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk

phositadc
Old
Thanks Meter 323
It's true though that the X has lost more value from release date in 6 months than nearly any other flagship I've ever seen. Yes that's because google and Motorola themselves have dropped the price. But even so, resell value for those who bought on release date has dropped well over 50% in 6 months. That's remarkable. Takes an iPhone about 2 years to lose that much value. Samsung and htc flagships don't drop that fast either, by a long shot.