XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

(Q) Tethering on a non-developer edition MotoX

Tip us?

illone
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default (Q) Tethering on a non-developer edition MotoX

I am really shooting for getting the MotoX on Monday with the $150 discount, but I cannot lose my wifi Tethering that I have on my rooted HTC DNA. Can someone ensure that I'll be able to tether free on a MotoX updated to KitKat?

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4

jeffreycentex
Old
Thanks Meter 23
It can currently be modded to enable tethering. Whether it can do so with any future updates is unknown, unless you get the Dev Edition...

piskr
Old
Thanks Meter 73
Quote:
Originally Posted by illone View Post
I am really shooting for getting the MotoX on Monday with the $150 discount, but I cannot lose my wifi Tethering that I have on my rooted HTC DNA. Can someone ensure that I'll be able to tether free on a MotoX updated to KitKat?

I have unlocked AT&T Motox and I use native tether without any problems.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 359
Quote:

While you don't say your carrier directly, since you mention HTC DNA, it appears you are on Verizon.

Currently there is a method to root KK 4.4 on the "carrier" or "motomaker" editions of the X for Verizon. Once doing so, there is a thread on how to replace the VZEntitlment check apk with a hacked one and tether. I'm using the experimental beta of Wifi tehther for root with my rooted Dev Edtion X for Verizon.

As jeffreycentex said, we don't know what the future holds for ROOTing the "carrier" or "motomaker" edition X with its locked bootloader. So if/when the next OTA update comes to the Verizon X, you may or may not see it rooted, and might be stuck on the current 4.4 if you want to keep root/tether. The Developer Edition X is a different matter, and can be rooted thanks to its unlockable boot loader.

motionUS
Old
Thanks Meter 4
I may be completely wrong but isn't tethering included in your verizon share anything plan.

qhinton
Old
Thanks Meter 26
Isn't targeting included in Verizons shared plans

Sent from my XT1056 using Tapatalk

illone
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Thanks for the info everyone. Sorry, i completely forgot to say what carrier I was on.... I still have my unlimited data with Verizon that's why tethering is so important to me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4

Coderedpl
Old
Thanks Meter 107

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thanks for the info everyone. Sorry, i completely forgot to say what carrier I was on.... I still have my unlimited data with Verizon that's why tethering is so important to me.

Sent from my HTC6435LVW using Tapatalk 4
Like mentioned above.
You can follow the steps to root which will also give you the option to boot without read/write protection applied. At which point you can do the Entitlement Swap. And it will work.

That's how I did it, works fine and I'm on unlimited Verizon
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to Coderedpl For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 359
Quote:
Originally Posted by motionUS View Post
I may be completely wrong but isn't tethering included in your verizon share anything plan.
If you are on older "grandfathered" plans which have unlimited data, tethering isn't included. Hence the reason for the question.

But you are right, anyone on the newer Share Everything and tiered data plans can use tethering. It just costs against your included data.