Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,742,912 Members 39,955 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Halfway to the SIP functionallity

Tip us?

piskr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Default Halfway to the SIP functionallity

Today I've played a little with the native SIP. I found out that the file "android.software.sip.voip" is missing. I pushed this file to etc/permissions, changed permissions to rw-r-r and voila! - after rebooting the missing internet calling part appeard in my dialer settings menu. I managed to set my voip provider credentials and enabled SIP. I called a few numbers and apparentlly got the connection (the called person confirmed it and i can saw it in my voip billing list) but nobody could hear the other one and dialer was frozen. it is not the common SIP issue, i can use CSIPSIMPLE without any problems. I'm attaching the missing file if somebody is interested in further research regarding native voip on moto x.
Attached Files
File Type: zip android.software.sip.voip.zip - [Click for QR Code] (659 Bytes, 23 views)
The Following User Says Thank You to piskr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

rodpp
Old
Thanks Meter 9
I tried enable the native SIP settings using a Xposed module. The behavior was the same, SIP account connected, no sound and Phone app frozen.

Enviado de meu XT1058 usando Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rodpp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mike7143
Old
Thanks Meter 8
I wondered where the Internet Calling menu had gone... I've got a Verizon developer edition and figured that Verizon stripped the settings. I may have to give this a try as well to see if I get the same outcome.

piskr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7143 View Post
I wondered where the Internet Calling menu had gone... I've got a Verizon developer edition and figured that Verizon stripped the settings. I may have to give this a try as well to see if I get the same outcome.
You surely get the same outcome. Try it, you've got nothing to loose. You can always get back with just deleting the file. Sadly getting internet settings option is not enough to activate voip. something else is missing. Either there is no voip codec or the whole part is corrupted.

Mike7143
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Have you tried the Sipdroid app? I haven't attempted any VoIP stuff yet, just thought I'd ask.

piskr
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 85
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike7143 View Post
Have you tried the Sipdroid app? I haven't attempted any VoIP stuff yet, just thought I'd ask.
I'm using the Csipsimple now. Works flawlessly. But I belived that native SIP as a part of the Android system might work even better.

Mike7143
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Yep, added the xml and got the same results, I can make the call, called person gets the call, but then dialer freezes, have to FC it and there's no sound. It's like the xml file is there to make the setting populate in the dialer's settings menu, but there are other parts missing that handle the audio. Also noticed that the pause, mute, and speakerphone buttons don't "work". Like, you can click them, but they don't do anything.

lowvolt1
Old
Thanks Meter 165
Just a question, so I can expand my knowledge base.
What is the importance of VOIP on a cell phone?

Slapped the sh*t out of my X

rodpp
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowvolt1 View Post

Slapped the sh*t out of my X
When I go to another country I use VOIP to all my calls. It is much more cheap.

Some free services (here in Brazil called 0800 calls) don't work with cell phones, but there is no problem with VOIP.

In some forms I need a wired phone number, because they don't accept cell phone numbers. The VOIP number is ok.

My VOIP number is from my local area. So, if I am in USA, Egypt or Japan, anyone from my Brazilian local area can call me with a local call. They pay the same price to call me on the other side of the planet or to call the neighbour across the street.

Enviado de meu XT1058 usando Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to rodpp For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Mike7143
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by lowvolt1 View Post
Say you live in a place with terrible service, not just bad 4G or 3G, but everything bad service. Or perhaps say when you're at work and your building sucks and you get no service... but these places you do have Wi-Fi. For me, this is work; the building sucks, I get no service, but we have Wi-Fi. With VoIP you can place calls via the internet if you don't have service. I can still place and receive calls to my VoIP number on my phone if I have Wi-Fi and have airplane mode on and Wi-Fi enabled. Except the Moto X on Verizon doesn't seem to support it, they want you to use their networks.

The Following User Says Thank You to Mike7143 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]