Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

Another reason to avoid Sprint

OP Puzzlegal

11th March 2014, 05:44 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
109 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
So, I've been with Sprint for a while. In the past, they have given me decent customer support, and better service than my husband gets on T-Mobile.So I decided to stick with them instead of going to a discount carrier (like Net10) or T-mobile. And I wanted a one-handed phone. I had planned to get the Galaxy IV mini when it came to Sprint, but when I went to purchase it, I asked whether I could use a different SIM when I travel abroad. The salesperson looked it up, and said "no". Thus, I ended up with a Moto X.

I got it SIM unlocked. Then I had all sorts of flaky problems with it, and ended up having it replaced under warrantee. Sprint wouldn't help me with that, because they wouldn't touch Moto-Maker phones, so I had to deal with Motorola directly. (And not the convenient Sprint shop around the corner from my office. - another reason I have liked Sprint obsolete, no more convenient service.)

So I tried to get the new phone unlocked. PROBLEM! Sprint will only unlock one phone per year per customer. They think they can amke an exception since this is a warrantee replacement.

Never heard back from them.

Called again today to check on the progress. Oops! My request was denied. They have no record of having replaced the phone. Because they freaking refused to... If I FAX them PROOF that Motorola replaced it under warrantee, maybe they will reconsider. And hey, maybe they will even tell me the result of that reconsideration. Or not. I guess I will find out. No, I can't forward the email I got from Motorola. No, they can't send me an email documenting what they want me to do. Apparently, Sprint hasn't entered the email age, and only deals withy phone calls and faxes. Who the #### uses faxes these days?

Wish me luck.

Next phone won't be with Sprint. Sigh. I wish I could pay for decent customer serive without paying for frequent upgrades and stuff. I wish we had a market like in Europe where you buy a phone, and you buy service, and the two aren't intertwined.
11th March 2014, 06:57 PM   |  #2  
Solutions Etcetera's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Sierra Nevada (west slope)
Thanks Meter: 164
 
858 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegal

Next phone won't be with Sprint.

Don't tell us, tell Sprint. You might be surprised what a registered letter addressed to the CEO can accomplish.
The Following User Says Thank You to Solutions Etcetera For This Useful Post: [ View ]
11th March 2014, 07:03 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
109 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Solutions Etcetera

Don't tell us, tell Sprint. You might be surprised what a registered letter addressed to the CEO can accomplish.

Thanks. I will give them a chance to unlock the phone by following the last set of instructions they gave me (dig up all my email from motorola and fax it to them) but if that doesn't work, I will try that. Maybe I'll write anyway to complain about the unfriendly customer service, but it seems premature to write in the middle of a request.
11th March 2014, 09:17 PM   |  #4  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 245
 
927 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2008
More
Might seem cheesy, but I've always found emailing dan@sprint.com resolves my issues. You email and they will call you the next day. I believe these folks are about as high as you can go. Plus, once someone calls you, you have a direct number to cal back and deal with only one rep until your issue is resolved..hope this helps a little.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to mulhiny For This Useful Post: [ View ]
12th March 2014, 06:43 AM   |  #5  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
109 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by mulhiny

Might seem cheesy, but I've always found emailing dan@sprint.com resolves my issues. You email and they will call you the next day. I believe these folks are about as high as you can go. Plus, once someone calls you, you have a direct number to cal back and deal with only one rep until your issue is resolved..hope this helps a little.

Good luck!

Sent from my XT1056 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

Thanks! That looks like a good next step, if this doesn't work. I found my correspondence from Motorola, and as I remembered, a lot of it is vague "we have mailed your new phone", rather than "we have mailed your warranty replacement", but one of their letters did say

Quote:

Thanks for contacting Motorola. Our goal is to get a customized, working phone in your hands, making it as easy as possible for you.

Here's the first step in the return of your broken phone - the Return Authorization Number (RMA): 140114-011410. This is necessary to process your return so hold onto it.

I'm hopeful that will be good enough. Of course, there's nothing to prove that I didn't compose that email myself ("fax us the email" really seems dumb, as a form of "proof") but I also have the letter saying "it's been shipped and the cost was $0" and the FedEx mailing label. Hopefully, that will convince them.

They claim they sent me email when they first denied the unlock request. I never got that email, but I suppose some computer may have thought it was spam and deleted it before I saw it. These things do sometimes happen.
13th March 2014, 10:55 PM   |  #6  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 14
 
109 posts
Join Date:Joined: Nov 2011
After faxing them a letter detailing the issue, along with 30 pages of correspondence from Motorola, I got a call that they had decided to unlock the phone, eventually followed up with an email stating the phone is now unlocked.

Thank you for your advice and support. It improved my sanity.
The Following User Says Thank You to Puzzlegal For This Useful Post: [ View ]
14th March 2014, 01:33 AM   |  #7  
Junior Member
Flag California
Thanks Meter: 0
 
3 posts
Join Date:Joined: Oct 2012
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by Puzzlegal

So, I've been with Sprint for a while. In the past, they have given me decent customer support, and better service than my husband gets on T-Mobile.So I decided to stick with them instead of going to a discount carrier (like Net10) or T-mobile. And I wanted a one-handed phone. I had planned to get the Galaxy IV mini when it came to Sprint, but when I went to purchase it, I asked whether I could use a different SIM when I travel abroad. The salesperson looked it up, and said "no". Thus, I ended up with a Moto X.

I got it SIM unlocked. Then I had all sorts of flaky problems with it, and ended up having it replaced under warrantee. Sprint wouldn't help me with that, because they wouldn't touch Moto-Maker phones, so I had to deal with Motorola directly. (And not the convenient Sprint shop around the corner from my office. - another reason I have liked Sprint obsolete, no more convenient service.)

So I tried to get the new phone unlocked. PROBLEM! Sprint will only unlock one phone per year per customer. They think they can amke an exception since this is a warrantee replacement.

Never heard back from them.

Called again today to check on the progress. Oops! My request was denied. They have no record of having replaced the phone. Because they freaking refused to... If I FAX them PROOF that Motorola replaced it under warrantee, maybe they will reconsider. And hey, maybe they will even tell me the result of that reconsideration. Or not. I guess I will find out. No, I can't forward the email I got from Motorola. No, they can't send me an email documenting what they want me to do. Apparently, Sprint hasn't entered the email age, and only deals withy phone calls and faxes. Who the #### uses faxes these days?

Wish me luck.

Next phone won't be with Sprint. Sigh. I wish I could pay for decent customer serive without paying for frequent upgrades and stuff. I wish we had a market like in Europe where you buy a phone, and you buy service, and the two aren't intertwined.

My parents had Sprint in the early 2000s and even back then they had horrible customer service. I stick with Verizon their CS is pretty spot on.

Sent from my SCH-I535 using Tapatalk

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes