T-Mobile MotoMaker vs. Dev Edition

6th December 2013, 07:15 AM   |  #1  
OP Member
Flag Brenham, TX.
Thanks Meter: 12

97 posts
More
I'm sure everybody already knows this, but just to confirm, here is a conversation with a Motorola rep I had:

Carl: Hi, my name is Carl. How may I help you?
Trevor: I was curious: what's the difference between the T-Mobile moto x and the developer editions, since both of their bootloaders are unlockable?
Carl: I will be more than happy to assist you on this.
Trevor: Is there any difference, because it's tempting to get a T-Mobile version so it can actually be customized.
Carl: The Developer Edition will have an unlocked Bootloader and the Developer Edition GSM will be unlocked with most GSM carriers.
Carl: The Developer Edition Verizon, will be locked with Verizon but will be unlocked for any non-US SIM cards.
Trevor: I use at&t, a GSM carrier, so I know after unlocking the bootloader on a T-Mobile phone, the carrier settings can be bypassed *and used on my network. But are there any actual hardware differences between the dev and T-Mobile versions? The way I understand it, they'll both have unlockable bootloaders.
Carl: The Developer Edition will only come with the 32 GB version.
Trevor: That's fine. I'd get a 32 GB T-Mobile version too. But am I right? The T-Mobile version is also bootloader unlockable, isn't it?
Carl: The MotoMaker Moto X will come with 16GB and 32GB.
Carl: Yes.
Carl: The MotoMaker Verizon and AT&T have a locked Bootloader.
Trevor: So why would I get the Dev version? Wouldn't it be smarter to get a T-Mobile version and unlock the bootloader AND have the benefit of getting a prettier phone?
Carl: Unlocking the Bootloader will void the warranty.
Carl: The Developer Edition will be unlocked for any GSM carriers right away.
Carl: With the Moto X MotoMaker version, you'll need to unlock the Bootloader first.
Carl: You'll also need the Subsidy unlock Code from the carrier to have it unlocked.
Trevor: Okay, so there's that. Are there limitations on using different bands of LTE , HSPA+ and HSPA with the T-Mobile phone on at&t's network?
Carl: Both versions will support these bands: GSM/GPRS/EDGE - UMTS/HSPA + up to 42 Mbps - CDMA/EVDO Rev. A (CDMA model only) - 4G LTE
Trevor: So they're essentially the same, if just void the warranty, and need a carrier unlock.
Carl: Correct.

I wonder how hard it is to unlock the carrier settings after the bootloader...

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
Last edited by trevorftard; 6th December 2013 at 07:18 AM.
6th December 2013, 03:20 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 26

96 posts
I am under the impression that the T-Mobile motomaker is already unlocked(carrier) and Carl is a big fat lying jerk.
The Following 3 Users Say Thank You to parsa5 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
6th December 2013, 05:41 PM   |  #3  
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter: 2,843

3,809 posts
More
99% sure the T-Mo version comes SIM unlocked from the factory. Many have already answered this. I can confirm again today though. Already have a Developer Edition and my customized T-Mo edition is coming in today. I'm on AT&T so I'll know pretty quickly if it's locked to T-Mo.
6th December 2013, 08:10 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 34

85 posts
More
I wonder how knowledgeable the website chat guys are. On Monday I had this conversation (copy and pasted exact, but names removed). I asked him specifically about the unlocked boot loader and voided warranty on the T-Mobile motomaker phone:
Quote:

him: TMobile Edition supports the unlockable bootloader.
him: We have a new update for the warranty on the unlocked bootloader.
him: The warranty is no longer voided.

me: Is that on all phones and not just the developer phones?
me: If so that is excellent

him: That is for the phones that it is supporting the unlock boot loader but not for all phones.

I read that to mean that if you can unlock the boot loader using the supported process, you can do it without voiding the warranty.

After finding the unlock page and reading it, I think he's wrong....or at least, misleading. Unlocking non-dev edition phones seems to void your warranty, full stop. But I'd love it if he is right...
6th December 2013, 08:55 PM   |  #5  
Houston
Thanks Meter: 5

72 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parsa5

I am under the impression that the T-Mobile motomaker is already unlocked(carrier) and Carl is a big fat lying jerk.

After everything I read up to this point I tend to agree.

It would be nice if someone who purchased the T-Mobile version and used it on AT&T network could confirm.
6th December 2013, 09:27 PM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 83

284 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by funmerlin

I wonder how knowledgeable the website chat guys are. On Monday I had this conversation (copy and pasted exact, but names removed). I asked him specifically about the unlocked boot loader and voided warranty on the T-Mobile motomaker phone:

I read that to mean that if you can unlock the boot loader using the supported process, you can do it without voiding the warranty.

After finding the unlock page and reading it, I think he's wrong....or at least, misleading. Unlocking non-dev edition phones seems to void your warranty, full stop. But I'd love it if he is right...

I'll tell you Dec 16th, my delivery date for my T mo motomaker customized baby that I'll be using with att. ( until march of next year when the contract is up and I'm giving att the boot for aio or straight talk)

Sent from the second to last Galaxy
PACman Rom Nightlies
AJK 4.9 "the boss"
7th December 2013, 01:48 PM   |  #7  
OP Member
Flag Brenham, TX.
Thanks Meter: 12

97 posts
More
I'm starting to notice there is a lot of incompetence in their customer care. I still haven't managed to get any help getting my order shipped after a week. I'm starting to lose hope. Has anybody had any luck getting their shipping expedited?

Sent from my Nexus 4 using xda app-developers app
7th December 2013, 06:07 PM   |  #8  
Thanks Meter: 172

2,467 posts
ps. cant unlock bootloader on tmobile....and customer service at moto say its locked and not unlockable.
Last edited by kolyan; 7th December 2013 at 06:35 PM.
7th December 2013, 06:08 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 298

975 posts
Not that it's a huge deal but the VZW version is not SIM locked. You can use it on att/tmo without a need for unlocking the device contrary to what this conversation says.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
7th December 2013, 11:08 PM   |  #10  
Thanks Meter: 2

52 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by gtg465x

99% sure the T-Mo version comes SIM unlocked from the factory. Many have already answered this. I can confirm again today though. Already have a Developer Edition and my customized T-Mo edition is coming in today. I'm on AT&T so I'll know pretty quickly if it's locked to T-Mo.

Did your phone come in and is it locked to T-mo?

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread

Top Threads in Moto X General by ThreadRank