Now Available: BL Unlock for Moto Devices (Read This!!!)

Search This thread

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
I'm getting a replacement X in a few days under warranty exchange. What ever the case, I hope your hard work will work on the new phone. I'm not sure what they are sending them with now...:-/

I just got my replacement warranty phone today, came with 442 on it. it will try to download the 444 update as soon as it gets an internet signal so download towelpieroot and delete the 3C.ota files

Last edited:
Reactions: matt99017d

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
You can freeze the updater with towelpieroot.

the prob is it doesnt stick once the phone reboots.. the broke phone on 444 was on 442 rooted with tpr set to run at reboot.. well it rebooted on its own and downloaded 444 and ran it without my knowing it.. good thing it developed a random rebooting problem after the update and was replaced with a new warenty phone

mohlsen8

May 20, 2010
the prob is it doesnt stick once the phone reboots.. the broke phone on 444 was on 442 rooted with tpr set to run at reboot.. well it rebooted on its own and downloaded 444 and ran it without my knowing it.. good thing it developed a random rebooting problem after the update and was replaced with a new warenty phone

Weird, I have a moto x and moto g where I've disabled the updater with root(no write access). They show up as disabled in settings/apps even after reboots and the phone no longer having root.

userjf

Dec 22, 2010

Yes, it DOES stay frozen after reboot, even though it loses root, the frozen OTA stays frozen. Lots of people have confirmed this on the towelpieroot thread.

Most new orders of Moto X (Gen 1) come with 4.4.4 now from the factory. Warranty swaps are luck of the draw.

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
Yes, it DOES stay frozen after reboot, even though it loses root, the frozen OTA stays frozen. Lots of people have confirmed this on the towelpieroot thread.

Most new orders of Moto X (Gen 1) come with 4.4.4 now from the factory. Warranty swaps are luck of the draw.

what is the exact name of the app and i will give it a try, i deleted the 3c.ota files from the root/system/pri-apps folder and that stops the ota.. until reboot.. but didnt try what you mentioned.. i looked for an updater app and didnt see it

userjf

Dec 22, 2010
what is the exact name of the app and i will give it a try, i deleted the 3c.ota files from the root/system/pri-apps folder and that stops the ota.. until reboot.. but didnt try what you mentioned.. i looked for an updater app and didnt see it

Oh, you are deleting files ... Anything you do to the system folder will be undone when you reboot.

You need to freeze the ota app with Titanium Backup. Freezing (instead of deleting) somehow survives reboots.

doitinthedirt

Mar 31, 2014
Thanks, tried titanium backup but wanted me to purchase it to enable freeze function, so I searched similar apps and found one called App Quarantine that is free and does the job perfect, its frozen rebooted tested working awesome

Attachments

• _20140915_223241.JPG
    _20140915_223241.JPG
    110.1 KB · Views: 491
Last edited:

Apr 18, 2008
Thanks, tried titanium backup but wanted me to purchase it to enable freeze function, so I searched similar apps and found one called App Quarantine that is free and does the job perfect, its frozen rebooted tested working awesome
FWIW - sign up for Google Rewards surveys. It's an "easy" way to get apps for free.

The only reason i have the full version of TiBackup is because my N7 came with a $25 Play Store credit.

Top Liked Posts

• There are no posts matching your filters.
    DAN ROSENBERG HAS FOUND AN EXPLOIT TO UNLOCK THE MOTO X (AND OTHER DEVICES) BOOTLOADER!!!

Will he release it? Your guess is as good as mine...

Confirmed by jcase! BL Unlock coming soon to Moto! ***DON'T UPDATE YOUR DEVICES*** HOLD OFF ON ANY AND ALL OTAs.

Motorola support is yet to be added to the version on the site, stay tuned (and dont update your phones)

Moto Support coming soon to the "Sunshine" unlock app.

EDIT 9/22/14: Unlock now available for Droid Maxx, Mini, Ultra, and THE MOTO X!!!

Find the tool at http://theroot.ninja

Cost is $25 per device. Works on 4.4.3 and BELOW, and *some* 4.4.4. You have to try the app to find out. You do NOT pay unless the tool confirms compatibility.

AN EXPLOIT HAS BEEN FOUND BY DAN ROSENBERG EVERYONE.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Free mobile app

He officially unveiled it at the Black Hat conference

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Free mobile app

AMAZING NEWS!!! Thanks!!!!! I'm researching this now, and will post here as soon as more info is found. THANK YOU FOR THE HEADS UP!!!!!

EDIT: Confirmation posted to REDDIT, HERE: http://www.reddit.com/r/Android/comments/2csyiq/
    Guys, the issue is going to be finding a DEV skilled enough to take the small amount of information we have about this vulnerability and actually make a tool that is able to exploit it.

Dan is extremely skilled at these reversing techniques, and has a new-found appreciation for the ethics surrounding vulnerability disclosure. As such, he has only given an overview of the vulnerability, without enough details to actually exploit it. (Per jcase, adequate details WERE indeed released to execute the exploit.) Someone in his skill level could make this happen, sure, but very few qualified individuals actually exist.

The problem is compounded by the fact that we have so many individuals in our community with such a low moral standard (and intellect) that Dan has been left with extreme distaste.

Consider that the last time Dan offered an extremely generous Bounty for a bootloader unlock (about $200 total is what he was asking for), once he released the exploit, only a very few of the pledgers actually kept their word. The rest had such an adolescent sense of "self entitlement" that they decided more-or-less "why should I pay him when I can just use his work, reap the benefits, and keep the money I had promised him for myself".

Not only does this create an overwhelming sense of 'disgust' for the community, but also outlines the lack-of-appreciation so many members have for the countless hours of research and hard work that goes into finding these vulnerabilities.

So take the actual amount that all of the bounty pledgers have promised, divide that by 4 or maybe 5, and that's what Dan might actually expect to receive for all the work he has put into this.

I can say from -personal experience- that this is the case. It is only compounded by the immature attitude of so many of these self-entitled individuals that make remarks like "This just looks like another case of 'look what I can do' without sharing it with anybody". This kind of attitude is not conducive to any developer actually wanting to release their work (yes, THEIR work - it does belong to them) to people with this type of attitude.

I do hope that Dan decides to either release additional details about the vulnerability, or an actual tool that is capable of exploiting it....but everyone keep in mind that it was members from OUR community that contributed to this problem.

Additionally, even when Dan released his last exploit, clearly explaining that it had been patched by recent updates and that if you have taken the recent updates, the tool will not work for you, his inbox was still flooded with messages from ungrateful people hounding him, demanding that he create a new exploit that will work with the new updates. His Github account was flooded with similar messages, as was his twitter account. Want to guess how many of those individuals were willing to actually donate to him for his efforts? Exactly ZERO (or very very close).

This is only going to become worse as security is further tightened, making the pool of individuals that are actually capable of finding these vulnerabilities smaller and smaller.

Just something to think about the next time you make a pledge to a bounty thread, and after the work is completed, decide that you don't need to follow-through. This is "biting the hand that feeds you", and you can expect it to come back and haunt you in the future (similar to what we are experiencing right now).

Dan isn't the only developer who has been treated this way, either. Our community has a reputation for lack-of-appreciation, plagiarism in the rooting scene, making un-realistic demands to generous, skilled Devs, etc. It really is sad.

So again, while I do hope that we are able to exploit this vulnerability and unlock our bootloaders, if Dan does decide to withhold the intricate details of this vulnerability (not release a tool), no one can blame him. At least no one who has any adult sense of ethics. We did this to ourselves...

Dan is *the man* - he is an extremely skilled individual and deserves the highest respect an individual can be given. In the past, however, he wasn't treated as such...

Just food for thought.

myself and beaups, i control the twitter account

Just tried the current SunShine to see if it would recognize stock 4.4 Motorola MAXX, it does not.

"Sunshine can not be used on your current rom/Kernel combination."

Motorola support is yet to be added to the version on the site, stay tuned (and dont update your phones)
    Let's hope for a release today. That damn pop up is making me want to smash my phone! there's no hope for people that are already on 4. 4. 4 via webchat.

Its coming in roughly 3 hours for 4.4.3 and below.

4.4.4 may take a month or two to figure out, if ever
    Im not. Im not trying to be hostile ether. Im guessing my first comment wasn't understood correctly. I may be missing something in your replies as well.

Please allow me to restate...

I find it funny that the carriers networks can be affected by custom firmware, the firmware that people are going to flash once they use your tool to unlock their bootloaders. You must not give a crap about the carriers and their networks.

Not my responsibility what broken idiotic firmware people run on their devices, nor is it my responsibility to maintain a carrier's network. I shouldn't have to hold a users hand and tell them what they are allowed to run run on their phones, not my job to teach "rom devs" or app developers how to not break things, nor should I be responsible for maintaining an outdated network.