Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,807,866 Members 50,740 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ATT MotoX LTE Bands

Tip us?

fvc2000
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Smile ATT MotoX LTE Bands

Hi there...

I own a ATT MotoX and a Brazilian Vivo MotoX.

Supposedly they are the same model XT1058, but ATT and US Motorola and i think everywhere else (even so at iFixit teardown) is written that the American Moto X supports bands 2,4,5, and 17. Where the Brazilian MotoX works also with Band 7 (2600mhz... that is used in EU and South America).

I've been trying for sometime to test the ATT one with brazilian LTE, but was unsuccesful, until today when I flashed the 4.4 leaked from ATT on BOTH devices. And BOTH have LTE band 7 now.
Weird.
But Cool!
=)

I'm writing here only because i couldn't find ANY information about REAL usage of band 7 on ATT MotoX.
So anyone flying to europe or brazil, with the motoX (except T-mobile) will get coverage.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to fvc2000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Very interesting information. Rogers Canada sells an XT1058 and they list that the phone supports band 7 LTE (2600 mhz). Rogers does use band 7 so it would make sense but the FCC(US) and IC(Canada) regulatory bodies do not list any 2600 mhz support for the XT1058. And as you mentioned the iFixit tear down shows no hardware for 2600 Mhz.

How are you able to verify 100% for certain they are using 2600 Mhz? I am assuming your provider has LTE only on 2600 Mhz?

fvc2000
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Exactly.
And here is proof.
Vivo Brazil only works with Band 7 - 2600mhz

The weird thing is as I said before... It only started working after the 4.4 leak.
Maybe it was the modem image.
Maybe it was a problem with my LTE signal before. But to be sure, someone should try flashing the brazilian jellybean modem on a att/rogers phone.

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1384235546926.jpg
Views:	906
Size:	35.6 KB
ID:	2387214  
The Following User Says Thank You to fvc2000 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

idonxda
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvc2000 View Post
Exactly.
And here is proof.
Vivo Brazil only works with Band 7 - 2600mhz

The weird thing is as I said before... It only started working after the 4.4 leak.
Maybe it was the modem image.
Maybe it was a problem with my LTE signal before. But to be sure, someone should try flashing the brazilian jellybean modem on a att/rogers phone.

Hi this is very interesting and important information for me especially who was looking to buy Moto X with custom back and front and that can work with the LTE Band 7 Network Provider s (e.g. Vodafone UK). Because only Roger or Brazil ones support the Band 7 but they are not customisable through Moto maker so it was a kind of disheartening me, but your experiment has certainly raised a joy and excitement and looks like dreams comes true to me. Could you please confirm if this is still the case then I can go ahead and buy the Motox from AT&T?
If possible could you provide me with the link to download the information /guide required to unlock and load the custom rom (link for that as well please) on the device, I guess i would need to add super user and , unlock the boot loader etc?

waiting eagerly for your reply and thanks in advace
The Following User Says Thank You to idonxda For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 173
Quote:
Originally Posted by idonxda View Post
Hi this is very interesting and important information for me especially who was looking to buy Moto X with custom back and front and that can work with the LTE Band 7 Network Provider s (e.g. Vodafone UK). Because only Roger or Brazil ones support the Band 7 but they are not customisable through Moto maker so it was a kind of disheartening me, but your experiment has certainly raised a joy and excitement and looks like dreams comes true to me. Could you please confirm if this is still the case then I can go ahead and buy the Motox from AT&T?
If possible could you provide me with the link to download the information /guide required to unlock and load the custom rom (link for that as well please) on the device, I guess i would need to add super user and , unlock the boot loader etc?

You can't unlock the bootloader on an AT&T Moto X, it is not the one you want to buy.

fvc2000
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
You can't unlock the bootloader on an AT&T Moto X, it is not the one you want to buy.
Yes... you can't unlock the bootloader on the ATT MotoX...
But you don't need to.
My wife is using right now the ATT MotoX in Brazil with working LTE Band 7.

I'm not entirely sure if on Jellybean, as it comes from factory, it WOULD work with Band 7. But, since I've been testing it, from the "camera OTA" to kitkat, it does work. Without custom rom.

You will only need to SIM unlock it.
And that's pretty easy.

The only thing from MY experience is that the baseband/modem from the ATT drains more battery than the one from VIVO (brazilian operator).
Maybe because the VIVO one, has the modem optimized for the Band 7.

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 173
4.2.2 had band 7 disabled. There is no guarantee a future update won't disable it again, keep that in mind. The phone is not certified for band 7 use in the US. Hopefully what they did was enable for use when outside of the US. If you have a phone with an unlockable bootloader such as a Rogers phone you can always ensure it will be enabled and install firmware with no bloatware at all and have no branding on the outside of the phone.

So there are many options, guess its just best to know the positives/negatives of each.

idonxda
Old
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by fvc2000 View Post
Yes... you can't unlock the bootloader on the ATT MotoX...
But you don't need to.
My wife is using right now the ATT MotoX in Brazil with working LTE Band 7.

I'm not entirely sure if on Jellybean, as it comes from factory, it WOULD work with Band 7. But, since I've been testing it, from the "camera OTA" to kitkat, it does work. Without custom rom.

You will only need to SIM unlock it.
And that's pretty easy.

The only thing from MY experience is that the baseband/modem from the ATT drains more battery than the one from VIVO (brazilian operator).
Maybe because the VIVO one, has the modem optimized for the Band 7.
ok thanks,me little confused, so if I buy MOTOX on AT&t by using the Moomaker and use it in UK (do i need it tosim unlock?) then I will be able to use the Band 7 in UK, but the phone should have installed the 4.4 kitkat ? so can i upgrade the jellybean which will com as a pre-installed to 4.4 leaked kitkat withoutout unlockng rthe boot loader?

Thanks in advance

fvc2000
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
4.2.2 had band 7 disabled. There is no guarantee a future update won't disable it again, keep that in mind. The phone is not certified for band 7 use in the US. Hopefully what they did was enable for use when outside of the US. If you have a phone with an unlockable bootloader such as a Rogers phone you can always ensure it will be enabled and install firmware with no bloatware at all and have no branding on the outside of the phone.

So there are many options, guess its just best to know the positives/negatives of each.

JB 4.2.2 factory default may not support Band 7 @ ATT, but JB 4.2.2 with camera OTA does.
And that is still 4.2.2
I can confirm because I used it for a while, before att kitkat official build.

But yes, you are right. ATT may disable Band 7 again in a future update. And with locked boot loader, there will be nothing to do about it.

Quote:
ok thanks,me little confused, so if I buy MOTOX on AT&t by using the Moomaker and use it in UK (do i need it tosim unlock?) then I will be able to use the Band 7 in UK, but the phone should have installed the 4.4 kitkat ? so can i upgrade the jellybean which will com as a pre-installed to 4.4 leaked kitkat withoutout unlockng rthe boot loader?

Thanks in advance
The upgrade with come OTA automatically. And even if it doesnt , you can manually flash the update with the Official files from Motorola.

But you will need a SIM unlock code to make it work with you mobile operator in UK.

MaKTaiL
Old
Thanks Meter 1,142
I can confirm XT1058 Brazilian Firmware has Band 7.
I'm from Brazil and the only Band we use here for LTE, for all carriers, is Band 7.