Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,501 Members 47,185 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Rooting an nTelos Moto X

Tip us?

giggybyte
Old
(Last edited by giggybyte; 21st May 2014 at 01:48 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default Rooting an nTelos Moto X

I just got my Moto X. Much better than my really old Droid 3, gonna miss the slide-out keyboard though.

Like a dummy, I updated my phone to KitKat. (4.4.something) Thanks to nTelos being a pretty small carrier, nobody has a 4.2.2 file for me to flash back, therefore, I am stuck with an unrooted Moto X with no way to downgrade.

I'm pretty sure I'm a lost cause, but is there any way to root? I was considering flashing another carrier's sbf onto it, but then I risk bricking it.

Thanks for the help,
Giggybyte

edit: Read around the Moto X forums a bit. It's apparently not possible, and there's even a large bounty for whoever can figure it out. My bad, should've searched first.

HeroOfTime
Old
Thanks Meter 16
If your Moto X was built in 2014 this link (http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...leman-t2751177) can give you information on who to contact to unlock the bootloader and thus open up the possibility for root. It'll run you $45, but if you are really committed to root, that's the only option with 4.4.2 (as well as any future version).
--This message will self destruct if not properly stored.

Moto X - Navy Blue with Silver Accents, Bootloader Unlocked, Rooted, Xposed (How do you like them apples, VZW?)

samwathegreat
Old
(Last edited by samwathegreat; 24th July 2014 at 01:12 PM.)
Thanks Meter 561

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by giggybyte View Post
I just got my Moto X. Much better than my really old Droid 3, gonna miss the slide-out keyboard though.

Like a dummy, I updated my phone to KitKat. (4.4.something) Thanks to nTelos being a pretty small carrier, nobody has a 4.2.2 file for me to flash back, therefore, I am stuck with an unrooted Moto X with no way to downgrade.

I'm pretty sure I'm a lost cause, but is there any way to root? I was considering flashing another carrier's sbf onto it, but then I risk bricking it.

Thanks for the help,
Giggybyte

edit: Read around the Moto X forums a bit. It's apparently not possible, and there's even a large bounty for whoever can figure it out. My bad, should've searched first.
What is the model number of your nTelos Moto X?

I just SIM-CRACKED the Sprint Moto X for use on any GSM carrier.

Its not bootloader-unlock, but it might help you use a different carrier, if that is your goal.

My method might should work for you. Myself and others are also very interested in knowing if it works for the nTelos X, and additionally what the model number is. Please advise. I believe it should be XT1049: is that correct?

SIM-CRACK thread here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...1#post54338871

Thanks in advance for replying with the information I requested.
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root