Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,985 Members 54,019 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Suddenly WiFi Won't Turn On

Tip us?
 
monorailmedic
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 52
Join Date: Apr 2011
Default Suddenly WiFi Won't Turn On

Hi All,
This morning I went to turn on WiFi tethering (unlocked/TMO model) and it wouldn't turn on, just saying, "error" in the settings area. I rebooted - same finding. Then I noticed I can no longer turn WiFi on. Attempting to turn WiFi on does nothing. I've rebooted several times and checked recent app updates, but only Google Keep, CapOne, and Zedge have updated recently, and none control WiFi state. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,
BH
 
monorailmedic
Old
#2  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 52
Join Date: Apr 2011
So actually, it seems I can use WiFi, but the second I try and enable tethering (which I do almost every day) I can no longer use WiFi until I power cycle (and tethering never activates - just gives the below error

 
superm1
Old
#3  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 161
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailmedic View Post
So actually, it seems I can use WiFi, but the second I try and enable tethering (which I do almost every day) I can no longer use WiFi until I power cycle (and tethering never activates - just gives the below error

Not a fix per-say, but could you use USB tethering instead in those circumstances until it's sorted out?
 
DANIEL AMBRUSO
Old
#4  
DANIEL AMBRUSO's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 12
Posts: 161
Join Date: Apr 2014
Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailmedic View Post
Hi All,
This morning I went to turn on WiFi tethering (unlocked/TMO model) and it wouldn't turn on, just saying, "error" in the settings area. I rebooted - same finding. Then I noticed I can no longer turn WiFi on. Attempting to turn WiFi on does nothing. I've rebooted several times and checked recent app updates, but only Google Keep, CapOne, and Zedge have updated recently, and none control WiFi state. Has anyone seen anything like this?

Thanks,
BH
You can follow this thread about enable wifi tethering.. I think it will help you to turn on your Wifi..
http://androidforums.com/galaxy-ring...tethering.html
 
monorailmedic
Old
#5  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Posts: 52
Join Date: Apr 2011
So after poking around, I found that the config info (SSID, security type, etc) for my wireless tethering was gone. No idea why, but it was. I re-entered it, and for a day, everything was fine. I thought it was a 'one off' thing and didn't worry about it too much. This morning however it was gone again. No clue why. It *might* coincide w/ my installation of Cerberus now that I think about it. Can a user of both Cerberus and WiFi tethering test?
 
superm1
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 24
Posts: 161
Join Date: Jun 2010
Location: Texas
Quote:
Originally Posted by monorailmedic View Post
So after poking around, I found that the config info (SSID, security type, etc) for my wireless tethering was gone. No idea why, but it was. I re-entered it, and for a day, everything was fine. I thought it was a 'one off' thing and didn't worry about it too much. This morning however it was gone again. No clue why. It *might* coincide w/ my installation of Cerberus now that I think about it. Can a user of both Cerberus and WiFi tethering test?
I've had cerberus installed since I got my X. I tether on a regular basis without the settings going away...
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


XDA PORTAL POSTS

Samsung Gear Live Unboxed the XDA Way – XDA Developer TV

XDA Developer TV Producer AdamOutleris known for his XDA Unboxingseries where … more

Make Your Own DIY Capacitive Stylus

The XDA Portal is a place where we like to talkabout things that are interesting, fun, and sometimes … more