5,604,292 Members 49,323 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Tethering

Tip us?

winn75
Old
(Last edited by winn75; 1st December 2013 at 02:06 PM.)
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Tethering

Does the Android Wifi Tether App for root users work for Sprint Moto X? I have unlimited data. I want to tether IPad Air.

danherbert
Old
(Last edited by danherbert; 1st December 2013 at 04:03 PM.) Reason: Fix major factual error in my post
Thanks Meter 3
Quote:
Originally Posted by winn75 View Post
Does the Android Wifi Tether App for root users work for Sprint Moto X? I have unlimited data. I want to tether IPad Air.
I was able to make tethering work on my rooted Sprint Moto X, but had to follow the following steps:

1. Change "Device-Profile" to "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)"
2. Enable "WiFi-driver reload"
3. Enable "Keep Alive - Connection Checking"
4. Enable "Routing Fix"

On your iPad, look for the access point named "wlan0"

I was unable to get wireless encryption working. I also was unable to change the SSID. No matter what SSID I enter, the access point always broadcasts as "wlan0".

Tethering has been extremely unstable for me. Tethering stops if the screen turns off, and it is extremely slow compared to what my data speeds are when not tethering. Running a speed test from my phone without tethering I get 20Mbps down. I get 0.5Mbps running a speed test from my laptop while tethered.

winn75
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by danherbert View Post
I was able to make tethering work on my rooted Sprint Moto X, but had to follow the following steps:

1. Change "Device-Profile" to "Generic ICS/JB (wlan0)"
2. Enable "WiFi-driver reload"
3. Enable "Keep Alive - Connection Checking"
4. Enable "Routing Fix"

On your iPad, look for the access point named "wlan0"

I was unable to get wireless encryption working. I also was unable to change the SSID. No matter what SSID I enter, the access point always broadcasts as "wlan0".

Tethering has been extremely unstable for me. Tethering stops if the screen turns off, and it is extremely slow compared to what my data speeds are when not tethering. Running a speed test from my phone without tethering I get 20Mbps down. I get 0.5Mbps running a speed test from my laptop while tethered.
Thanks. Does anyone know why the download speed is slow when tethered to an iPad?

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 375
Quote:
Originally Posted by danherbert View Post
...I was unable to get wireless encryption working. I also was unable to change the SSID. No matter what SSID I enter, the access point always broadcasts as "wlan0".
For Verizon, I use the wifi_tether_v3_4-experimental1.apk and set...

change device profile to galaxy nexus (cdma/lte)
check box: wifi-driver reload
check box: enabled routing fix

and I can change the SSID and use WPA encryption. Its been stable. to.