5,597,501 Members 31,948 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Trying to decide between ATT or Tmo version: How crucial will LTE band 5 (850mhz) be?

Tip us?

ap3604
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 431
Cool Trying to decide between ATT or Tmo version: How crucial will LTE band 5 (850mhz) be?

I am currently on ATT and was looking to purchase an off contract Moto X today but wasn't sure which one to get.

I've heard people say "Oh get the Tmobile version as it has bands for both and is unlocked"...

...but when I look at the specs for both I see the Tmobile version is missing LTE band 5 (850mhz)

Anyone here with technical knowledge of ATT LTE bands know how crucial 850mhz band 5 will be coverage wise?
Is it worth going with the ATT version to have that band for good LTE coverage long term?

bmt626
Old
Thanks Meter 67
Quote:
Originally Posted by ap3604 View Post
I am currently on ATT and was looking to purchase an off contract Moto X today but wasn't sure which one to get.

I've heard people say "Oh get the Tmobile version as it has bands for both and is unlocked"...

...but when I look at the specs for both I see the Tmobile version is missing LTE band 5 (850mhz)

Anyone here with technical knowledge of ATT LTE bands know how crucial 850mhz band 5 will be coverage wise?
Is it worth going with the ATT version to have that band for good LTE coverage long term?
Tmobile version is the same actually Motorola just changed it on their site from tmobile to gsm unlocked (comes with tmo sim)

kolyan
Old
Thanks Meter 170
Quote:
Originally Posted by bmt626 View Post
Tmobile version is the same actually Motorola just changed it on their site from tmobile to gsm unlocked (comes with tmo sim)
its not the same, BUT

I think band 5 is not used in USA

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Hard to say what AT&T will do in the future. From reading here there are a few places where AT&T is using band 5 for LTE service. AT&T would have had the choice of hardware when they decided to sell the Moto X and they chose the XT1058 and not the XT1053. Maybe they consider band 5 support important, maybe they just wanted a phone which didn't fully support Tmobile.