Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,738,692 Members 40,346 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Upgrading to kit kat and keeping root?

Tip us?
 
.Grizz.
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 32
Join Date: Nov 2010
Arrow [Q] Upgrading to kit kat and keeping root?

What would be the easiest way to upgrade to kit kat and keep root? Im on verizon, non dev with version 4.2.2. System version is 139.10.53.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US. Also using a Mac.
 
nm3210
Old
#2  
nm3210's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 134
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grizz. View Post
What would be the easiest way to upgrade to kit kat and keep root? Im on verizon, non dev with version 4.2.2. System version is 139.10.53.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US. Also using a Mac.
Follow the SlapMyMoto thread. Have you disabled write protection with MotoWpNoMo yet? That would be your first step. Then you would reflash 4.2.2 camera update (I used RSD Lite), and then follow the SlapMyMoto thread. It eventually has you take the 4.4 OTA and then run a couple commands afterwards to reactivate root.
 
.Grizz.
Old
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 32
Join Date: Nov 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm3210 View Post
Follow the SlapMyMoto thread. Have you disabled write protection with MotoWpNoMo yet? That would be your first step. Then you would reflash 4.2.2 camera update (I used RSD Lite), and then follow the SlapMyMoto thread. It eventually has you take the 4.4 OTA and then run a couple commands afterwards to reactivate root.
I think I have write protection off, is there a way to check this. Would I still need to flash the camera update, I haven't accepted that update yet.
 
nm3210
Old
(Last edited by nm3210; 27th January 2014 at 10:31 PM.)
#4  
nm3210's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 33
Posts: 134
Join Date: May 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grizz. View Post
I think I have write protection off, is there a way to check this. Would I still need to flash the camera update, I haven't accepted that update yet.
Code:
Select Code
adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect
If that command returns "0" then you indeed have write protection disabled. If not, head on over to the 'Original Android Development' subforum...

And yes, I think you need to be on the camera update, expect to completely wipe everything. Have you been holding off for a few months?? They've had 4.4 rooted for a couple months now.
 
lowvolt1
Old
#5  
lowvolt1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 165
Posts: 686
Join Date: Feb 2012
Take the camera update. That will put you on .57, then root using rockmymoto, run motowpnomo to disable write protection, then rsdlite back to 4.2.2 camera update .57, then use slapmymoto.

Slapped the sh*t out of my X
if you found me to be helpful, throw me a thumbs up.
 
.Grizz.
Old
#6  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 32
Join Date: Nov 2010
Yea ive been holding off, I have no experience using adb so ive been nervous about updating. I was hoping for a one click method like when the moto x first got root.
 
lowvolt1
Old
#7  
lowvolt1's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 165
Posts: 686
Join Date: Feb 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grizz. View Post
Yea ive been holding off, I have no experience using adb so ive been nervous about updating. I was hoping for a one click method like when the moto x first got root.
I had no adb experience either. Just a want to do it and Google. You can do it. We can help.

Slapped the sh*t out of my X
if you found me to be helpful, throw me a thumbs up.

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


TRENDING IN THEMER...