Make Your Own Heat Sink for the LG Optimus 4X HD

Its not a rare occurrence that performing a resource heavy task on your Android device (e.g. … more

Learn How to Create an Old School Dialer

XDA is not only a great source for custom ROMs, kernels, and various modifications for numerous … more

USB Desktop Charger Roundup – XDA TV

Sometimes you learn one way to do something, and that’s the way you do it forever. You never … more

Samsung Galaxy Grand Duos Receives Early CM12 Port

Samsung Galaxy Grand is a dual-SIM phone with a 5 screen that was announced two years ago. … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Upgrading to kit kat and keeping root?

OP .Grizz.

27th January 2014, 11:09 PM   |  #1  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 0

32 posts
More
What would be the easiest way to upgrade to kit kat and keep root? Im on verizon, non dev with version 4.2.2. System version is 139.10.53.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US. Also using a Mac.
27th January 2014, 11:21 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 35

136 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by .Grizz.

What would be the easiest way to upgrade to kit kat and keep root? Im on verizon, non dev with version 4.2.2. System version is 139.10.53.ghost_verizon.Verizon.en.US. Also using a Mac.

Follow the SlapMyMoto thread. Have you disabled write protection with MotoWpNoMo yet? That would be your first step. Then you would reflash 4.2.2 camera update (I used RSD Lite), and then follow the SlapMyMoto thread. It eventually has you take the 4.4 OTA and then run a couple commands afterwards to reactivate root.
27th January 2014, 11:26 PM   |  #3  
OP Member

32 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by nm3210

Follow the SlapMyMoto thread. Have you disabled write protection with MotoWpNoMo yet? That would be your first step. Then you would reflash 4.2.2 camera update (I used RSD Lite), and then follow the SlapMyMoto thread. It eventually has you take the 4.4 OTA and then run a couple commands afterwards to reactivate root.

I think I have write protection off, is there a way to check this. Would I still need to flash the camera update, I haven't accepted that update yet.
27th January 2014, 11:28 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 35

136 posts
More
Quote:

I think I have write protection off, is there a way to check this. Would I still need to flash the camera update, I haven't accepted that update yet.

Code:
adb shell getprop ro.boot.write_protect
If that command returns "0" then you indeed have write protection disabled. If not, head on over to the 'Original Android Development' subforum...

And yes, I think you need to be on the camera update, expect to completely wipe everything. Have you been holding off for a few months?? They've had 4.4 rooted for a couple months now.
Last edited by nm3210; 27th January 2014 at 11:31 PM.
27th January 2014, 11:44 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 177

767 posts
Take the camera update. That will put you on .57, then root using rockmymoto, run motowpnomo to disable write protection, then rsdlite back to 4.2.2 camera update .57, then use slapmymoto.

Slapped the sh*t out of my X
if you found me to be helpful, throw me a thumbs up.
28th January 2014, 12:53 AM   |  #6  
OP Member

32 posts
More
Yea ive been holding off, I have no experience using adb so ive been nervous about updating. I was hoping for a one click method like when the moto x first got root.
28th January 2014, 12:57 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 177

767 posts
Quote:

Yea ive been holding off, I have no experience using adb so ive been nervous about updating. I was hoping for a one click method like when the moto x first got root.

I had no adb experience either. Just a want to do it and Google. You can do it. We can help.

Slapped the sh*t out of my X
if you found me to be helpful, throw me a thumbs up.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread