[Q] Which USA MotoX to get for Rogers network

Tip us?

monamimani
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Which USA MotoX to get for Rogers network

Hi all,

First of all, I am pretty new to android and rooting, unlocking and all, but I am a really technical guy ( programmer of profession) so I am not affraid of the command line if needed so.

Now my question is:

I want a 32Gb MotoX to get on the Fido network ( same as the Rogers Network) in Canada, which of the USA version I need to buy to get full HSPA & LTE, the bands are HSPA:850/900/1900/2100 and LTE:2100/2600.
Also what do I need to do to make it work? do I need to root the device, flash a firmware, unlock ( i guess i'll have to do at least that)?

Thanks so much!

Also a bonus question, what is the difference with a developper edition?

barondebxl
Old
Thanks Meter 1212
Probably the At&t one

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Current Device: Nexus 7 2013

Recently Owned

Iphone 5S

LG G Flex

Galaxy Note3

LG G2

dew.man
Old
Thanks Meter 101
Rogers version of the Moto x is the XT1058, just like the AT&T.

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
If you want 32gb you will likely be giving up something else. The Rogers phone has 2600 Mhz enabled while technically the AT&T variant does not. It may work as the hardware is there but depending on firmware version it may be disabled. If you buy the AT&T variant you also sacrifice the unlockable bootloader.

If you must have 32gb I'd get the retail/tmobile edition. Then you for certain will not have 2600 mhz LTE access but are able to unlock the bootloader and get 32gb.You will still have band 4 (AWS) LTE access.

If you can live with 16gb then the Rogers version is by far the best Moto X to buy.
The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RenSoAbrupt
Old
(Last edited by RenSoAbrupt; 12th December 2013 at 06:32 PM.)
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by monamimani View Post
Hi all,

First of all, I am pretty new to android and rooting, unlocking and all, but I am a really technical guy ( programmer of profession) so I am not affraid of the command line if needed so.

Now my question is:

I want a 32Gb MotoX to get on the Fido network ( same as the Rogers Network) in Canada, which of the USA version I need to buy to get full HSPA & LTE, the bands are HSPA:850/900/1900/2100 and LTE:2100/2600.
Also what do I need to do to make it work? do I need to root the device, flash a firmware, unlock ( i guess i'll have to do at least that)?

Thanks so much!

Also a bonus question, what is the difference with a developper edition?
Get the T Mobile USA version. It will support your HSPA no problem, but for LTE I don't think it will fully due to the 2600 which the T Mobile version does not have. The T Mobile Moto comes sim unlocked.

Here's the break down for you.

2G Network GSM 850 / 900 / 1800 / 1900 - all versions
3G Network HSDPA 850 / 900 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile
4G Network LTE 700 / 1700 / 1900 / 2100 - for T-Mobile

Difference between the Developer edition and the T Mobile one is that unlocking the bootloader on the developer edition does not void your warranty. But doing so on the T Mobile does. Also the AT&T bootloader cannot be unlocked (yet) AFAIK.

Hopefully this helps you.