5,599,135 Members 34,074 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

VZW 4.4.1: When do you think we'll see it?

Tip us?
 
skiwong20
Old
(Last edited by skiwong20; 5th December 2013 at 11:50 PM.)
#21  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 294
Posts: 419
Join Date: Nov 2011
@imnuts u got a moto x now?
Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app
 
oplix
Old
#22  
Junior Member
Thanks Meter 0
Posts: 21
Join Date: Apr 2008
carriers pay for updates. if the update does not fix significant bugs or improve features/performance, you will not usually see it.
 
imnuts
Old
#23  
imnuts's Avatar
Recognized Developer
Thanks Meter 2937
Posts: 3,349
Join Date: Jul 2007
Location: West Chester

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by skiwong20 View Post
@imnuts u got a moto x now?
Sent from my XT1060 using xda app-developers app
Soon, very soon
Setup a Development Environment
Setup and Use the Android SDK
Stock Odin Restore files

You can find the answer to all of your questions right here. If that doesn't work, then try this or this
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to imnuts For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
eallan
Old
#24  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 91
Posts: 1,278
Join Date: Apr 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by oplix View Post
carriers pay for updates. if the update does not fix significant bugs or improve features/performance, you will not usually see it.
Uh. What

Sent from my XT1058 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
 
Jason.DROID
Old
(Last edited by Jason.DROID; 6th December 2013 at 12:27 PM.)
#25  
Member
Thanks Meter 18
Posts: 98
Join Date: Jan 2012
Maybe the Droids will jump straight to 4.4.1, then the Moto X will get a maintenance release to bump it up too. Timeframe? Who knows. I'd rather have Moto fully debug it this time. Well I have to cut them some slack because the bugs are present in AOSP Kit Kat (like Exchange issues). The lock screen lag seems to be Moto X related, but I'm not sure what's causing it.

That's always the risk of jumping to a new OS: bugs. Jelly Bean 4.2.2 was pretty mature by the time the X used it, and it was pretty damn good.

Since the update is over 50MB, it's safe to assume that it patches quite a few files, so it's not just a camera update. A singular camera update wouldn't require a .1 jump in Android. This is definitely a maintenance release to fix bugs too.

EDIT: Yep, looking inside the Nexus 7 LTE 4.4.1 OTA, there are a TON of system files being patched. One little goodie seems to be an update to libart.so and libart-compiler.so. Looks like ART is being patched (even if it's not selectable in the dev options in the Nexus 7, IIRC).
 
binary visions
Old
#26  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 51
Posts: 177
Join Date: Feb 2010
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.DROID View Post
EDIT: Yep, looking inside the Nexus 7 LTE 4.4.1 OTA, there are a TON of system files being patched. One little goodie seems to be an update to libart.so and libart-compiler.so. Looks like ART is being patched (even if it's not selectable in the dev options in the Nexus 7, IIRC).
ART is selectable on the Nexus 7.

To be honest, I would have been shocked if they didn't issue a whole bunch of patches during an update. It's just the way software development works: you find bugs, you fix bugs, but not all of them are worthy of their own update. So when you either get enough, or have something that IS worthy of its own update, all of the patches get rolled up and issued alongside it.
 
dpw2atox
Old
#27  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 13
Posts: 114
Join Date: Mar 2010
To clarify, ART isn't available on the 2012 Nexus 7 but is available on the 2013 Nexus 7.
The Following 2 Users Say Thank You to dpw2atox For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
MaKTaiL
Old
#28  
MaKTaiL's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1098
Posts: 2,615
Join Date: Oct 2011
Location: Brasília
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jason.DROID View Post
Maybe the Droids will jump straight to 4.4.1, then the Moto X will get a maintenance release to bump it up too. Timeframe? Who knows. I'd rather have Moto fully debug it this time. Well I have to cut them some slack because the bugs are present in AOSP Kit Kat (like Exchange issues). The lock screen lag seems to be Moto X related, but I'm not sure what's causing it.

That's always the risk of jumping to a new OS: bugs. Jelly Bean 4.2.2 was pretty mature by the time the X used it, and it was pretty damn good.

Since the update is over 50MB, it's safe to assume that it patches quite a few files, so it's not just a camera update. A singular camera update wouldn't require a .1 jump in Android. This is definitely a maintenance release to fix bugs too.

EDIT: Yep, looking inside the Nexus 7 LTE 4.4.1 OTA, there are a TON of system files being patched. One little goodie seems to be an update to libart.so and libart-compiler.so. Looks like ART is being patched (even if it's not selectable in the dev options in the Nexus 7, IIRC).
The lockscreen lag is also an AOSP problem. It seems to have been fixed on 4.4.1.

Enviado de meu XT1058 usando Tapatalk

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes