Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,805,777 Members 41,944 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Warranty exchange back to 4.4

Tip us?

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Exclamation Warranty exchange back to 4.4

Hey guys, something I thought I would share.

I was having MMS issues with my moto X. They would randomly send or not, some would say sent but didn't. whatever I called Motorola and was told to ask tmobile to revision my MMS or something. it didn't work so I called Motorola & told them and they shipped me a replacement phone. I just received it and to my surprise and great delight!! it's running 4.4 not 4.4.2 which moto practically forced me to update to!!

Can you say OLD BOOTLOADER!!! and I hope my MMS works again.

also 2 things I noted.

1. The moto X screen is supposed to be seamless with the body of the phone, meaning when gliding your finger from screen to the side bezel of the phone it should be silky smooth and your fingers should feel no friction at all. My old moto x, the one being sent back contained some friction when gliding to the right side.

2. (pic included below) the new one, I just received 20 minutes ago has scratches on the Sim card tray?!?!? wth! i honestly could careless but there may be some quality control issues in their Texas plant.

Carry on and use this info as you wish.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140228_160602920.jpg
Views:	2855
Size:	247.9 KB
ID:	2606364  
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye. Galaxy S III GOOD RIDDEN!!!

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
here's the sim tray picture i forgot to upload above lol
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_20140228_161244682.jpg
Views:	182
Size:	259.2 KB
ID:	2606381  
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8
Skyrocket and Vibrant R.I.P. Gone but not forgotten! MOTO X Goodbye. Galaxy S III GOOD RIDDEN!!!

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by CartlandSmith View Post
Warranty replacements are not new phones, they are refurbished returns.
Yeah, I know most companies do refurbs but the 2nd moto x I received seems like it's better quality overall.
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Every refurb gets inspected before it ships out whereas not every new device coming off of the line does. So that makes sense.
agree! but still my point stands. my original moto x had some weirdness in the form of inconsistencies in the screen.
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
that is totally consistent with what I am saying - the newer devices don't go through as rigorous of an inspection as the refurbs do. It is cheaper for them to just send you a refurb than it is to implement higher QA at the factory on a mass level.

And it is why no one should feel bad about returning and reordering a device if they get a defective one.
lol ^^^ that makes more sense. Thanks for the explanation. Your advice sounds solid but how do you know all of this for sure? lol I'm not doibting it but I like to know people's sources.

and thanks for all your advice, i'll be sure to like your comments!
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8

drago10029
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
there are typical QA practices in factories that produce consumer goods. Of course a particular manufacturer can do what they please but the typical QA practices are typical for a reason. A manufacturer has to balance the cost of QA against the cost of returns/repairs and their reputation for quality.
ok, fair enough. thanks again.
N5 EHNDROIX V 14.8.8

Tags
4.4, mms, moto x, motorola, quality control