5,595,000 Members 39,045 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Was the $349 promo for unlocked or off-contract phone?

Tip us?

Fremens_Dune
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Was the $349 promo for unlocked or off-contract phone?

Yesterday I was able to get a promo code for "unlocked" Moto X on Motorola website. They had the Cyber Monday promotion. I placed my order last night and when I received the order confirmation, it showed "Moto X for AT&t". So, I called Moto's customer service this morning and they kept telling me that the promotion was never for an "unlocked" phone; it was for an off-contract phone. I am 100% sure the website promotion showed "Unlocked" Moto X for $349. Why else would people jump all over it and buy the limited quantity within 7-minutes?

Can somebody please clarify this for me? Was the promotion for an "Unlocked" Moto X or an off-contract "Moto X"?

Thanks much!

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 670
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fremens_Dune View Post
Yesterday I was able to get a promo code for "unlocked" Moto X on Motorola website. They had the Cyber Monday promotion. I placed my order last night and when I received the order confirmation, it showed "Moto X for AT&t". So, I called Moto's customer service this morning and they kept telling me that the promotion was never for an "unlocked" phone; it was for an off-contract phone. I am 100% sure the website promotion showed "Unlocked" Moto X for $349. Why else would people jump all over it and buy the limited quantity within 7-minutes?

Can somebody please clarify this for me? Was the promotion for an "Unlocked" Moto X or an off-contract "Moto X"?

Thanks much!
Off contract.

Fremens_Dune
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aooga View Post
Off contract.
Will At&t unlock it for me if I show them that I bought it from Motorola at full price and show them the receipt? I don't want to sign up with At&t.

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 670
Quote:
Will At&t unlock it for me if I show them that I bought it from Motorola at full price and show them the receipt? I don't want to sign up with At&t.
Nope. What carrier do you have?

Fremens_Dune
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Nope. What carrier do you have?
I currently have boost mobile but I wanted to get the Moto X unlocked so that I could switch to other GSM networks such as At&t, T-Mobile, or Straight talk. Since I paid the full price of the phone, I wanted the flexibility of switching to any carrier I want. Is that not possible?

aooga
Old
Thanks Meter 670
Quote:
I currently have boost mobile but I wanted to get the Moto X unlocked so that I could switch to other GSM networks such as At&t, T-Mobile, or Straight talk. Since I paid the full price of the phone, I wanted the flexibility of switching to any carrier I want. Is that not possible?
Not with AT&T. You can use those unlocking sites that cost around $15, but I wouldn't.

For your situation, I would get the tmobile variant. Its sim unlocked and bootloader unlockable. You can get it from motomaker as well, just choose it at the carrier selection tab at the end. It doesn't have any tmobile branding or logos or anything. It'll work on all the GSM carriers, LTE and HSPA.

Fremens_Dune
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Not with AT&T. You can use those unlocking sites that cost around $15, but I wouldn't.

For your situation, I would get the tmobile variant. Its sim unlocked and bootloader unlockable. You can get it from motomaker as well, just choose it at the carrier selection tab at the end. It doesn't have any tmobile branding or logos or anything. It'll work on all the GSM carriers, LTE and HSPA.
Thanks, you have been a great help.