Now Gesture Tweaks Replaces Google Now with Custom Action

On most modern Android devices with software navigation keys, swiping up from the … more

ToqAN Fixes Android 5.0 Notification Bug on Qualcomm Toq

The Qualcomm Toq is probably one of the lesser known smartwatches on the market … more

How to Root and Unlock the Google Nexus 6 on a Mac – XDA TV

In the past, XDA Developer TV Producer droidmodd3rx has shown you how to … more

Set Up Your MediaTek Device with Comprehensive Beginner’s Guide

As can be seen with the use of MediaTek chips in Android One devices … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] $399 - Is it Unlocked?

OP ibr4him

19th January 2014, 03:43 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1

120 posts
I wonder if the "No Contact" or "Off Contract" $399 Moto X is GSM unlocked for international use or US only?

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks
19th January 2014, 04:11 PM   |  #2  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,876

13,406 posts
More
Unlocked is unlocked.

Its unlocked for anything.....or its not unlocked ....there's no in between.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...
20th January 2014, 04:04 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 252

600 posts
Depends which lock you are talking about: bootloader, radio, or SIM.

Dev Edition, Rogers/AT&T model XT1058 have unlockable bootloaders.

Rogers/AT&T radio is not locked. I believe the Verizon version is so won't work on other US carriers. But they will all work on non-US carriers.

And they are all SIM locked, but easy to unlock.

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk
Last edited by phoenix_rizzen; 20th January 2014 at 04:31 AM.
20th January 2014, 10:01 AM   |  #4  
Cluj
Thanks Meter: 414

863 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_rizzen

Rogers/AT&T radio is not locked. I believe the Verizon version is so won't work on other US carriers. But they will all work on non-US carriers.

Are you sure about those models? I think the TMO can be unlocked, not the AT&T. This is what the official Moto X website says.
20th January 2014, 01:15 PM   |  #5  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 957

2,278 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_rizzen

That is not accurate.

You mention ATT has an unlockable bootloader. Unfortunately the Retail and MotoMaker version for ATT and Verizon have locked bootloaders which can not be unlocked, along with a few other carriers. The codes are not available from Moto's web site, and there is no other path to unlock those bootloaders. The VZW Dev Edition X can have its bootloader unlocked.

As for the Verizon version sim locked and working on other carriers.. The Verizon version (retail, motomaker and dev) is NOT "radio locked" nor is it sim locked, so it will work with a Non-Verizon GSM SIM. Depending on the frequencies of your carrier, the Verizon version will work for GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and possibly work for HSPA/HSPA+, and in some rare cases even LTE can work. It just depends on the bands/frequencies your carrier uses, compared to those supported by the X. I've posted about my VZW X working using my T-Mobile US sim, as have a few others. And I've seen posts of VZW X with ATT sim working.

The ATT version is SIM locked, and you need the unlock codes to use a Non-ATT SIM.

As for all being easy to SIM Unlock, it should be noted that when it comes to the Sprint Moto X, it is sim locked, and Sprint will give SIM Unlock code only if you are a current Sprint Customer with the X on your line/account. No 3rd party places that sell unlock codes have them for sprint moto X. So if the phone is not active on Sprint Service, you wont be able to get a SIM Unlock code for it. But I believe you are correct that any other X which is SIM locked should be "easy" to purchase or otherwise obtain the SIM Unlock codes.

T-Mobile X has an unlockable bootloader. But unlike the Dev Edition, unlocking the bootloader on the MotoMaker for T-Mobile version voids the warranty. The T-Mobile X is also SIM Unlocked out of the box.

I can't comment on Rogers or others.
Last edited by KidJoe; 20th January 2014 at 01:51 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
20th January 2014, 02:37 PM   |  #6  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 957

2,278 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibr4him

I wonder if the "No Contact" or "Off Contract" $399 Moto X is GSM unlocked for international use or US only?

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks

Where are you looking? If you buy a "USA carrier branded" X off Moto Maker, or directly from a carrier it will very likely be SIM locked even if its "no contract." The exception being T-Mobile and Verizon which I know are not sim locked, and will work for USA and Non-USA GSM service (depending on the frequencies of the carrier you will be using... it could be as slow as EDGE, or as fast as HSPA+ or LTE).
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread