Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,719 Members 38,099 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] $399 - Is it Unlocked?

Tip us?

ibr4him
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] $399 - Is it Unlocked?

I wonder if the "No Contact" or "Off Contract" $399 Moto X is GSM unlocked for international use or US only?

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3243
Unlocked is unlocked.

Its unlocked for anything.....or its not unlocked ....there's no in between.

Sent from my Moto X cellular telephone...
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

phoenix_rizzen
Old
(Last edited by phoenix_rizzen; 20th January 2014 at 03:31 AM.)
Thanks Meter 180
Depends which lock you are talking about: bootloader, radio, or SIM.

Dev Edition, Rogers/AT&T model XT1058 have unlockable bootloaders.

Rogers/AT&T radio is not locked. I believe the Verizon version is so won't work on other US carriers. But they will all work on non-US carriers.

And they are all SIM locked, but easy to unlock.

Sent from my LG-E971 using Tapatalk

TheSaw
Old
Thanks Meter 414

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_rizzen View Post

Rogers/AT&T radio is not locked. I believe the Verizon version is so won't work on other US carriers. But they will all work on non-US carriers.

Are you sure about those models? I think the TMO can be unlocked, not the AT&T. This is what the official Moto X website says.
GS2 i9100 - CM10.1.3
MotoX [XT1053|32GB|B/WB/B]

KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 20th January 2014 at 12:51 PM.)
Thanks Meter 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by phoenix_rizzen View Post

That is not accurate.

You mention ATT has an unlockable bootloader. Unfortunately the Retail and MotoMaker version for ATT and Verizon have locked bootloaders which can not be unlocked, along with a few other carriers. The codes are not available from Moto's web site, and there is no other path to unlock those bootloaders. The VZW Dev Edition X can have its bootloader unlocked.

As for the Verizon version sim locked and working on other carriers.. The Verizon version (retail, motomaker and dev) is NOT "radio locked" nor is it sim locked, so it will work with a Non-Verizon GSM SIM. Depending on the frequencies of your carrier, the Verizon version will work for GSM/GPRS/EDGE, and possibly work for HSPA/HSPA+, and in some rare cases even LTE can work. It just depends on the bands/frequencies your carrier uses, compared to those supported by the X. I've posted about my VZW X working using my T-Mobile US sim, as have a few others. And I've seen posts of VZW X with ATT sim working.

The ATT version is SIM locked, and you need the unlock codes to use a Non-ATT SIM.

As for all being easy to SIM Unlock, it should be noted that when it comes to the Sprint Moto X, it is sim locked, and Sprint will give SIM Unlock code only if you are a current Sprint Customer with the X on your line/account. No 3rd party places that sell unlock codes have them for sprint moto X. So if the phone is not active on Sprint Service, you wont be able to get a SIM Unlock code for it. But I believe you are correct that any other X which is SIM locked should be "easy" to purchase or otherwise obtain the SIM Unlock codes.

T-Mobile X has an unlockable bootloader. But unlike the Dev Edition, unlocking the bootloader on the MotoMaker for T-Mobile version voids the warranty. The T-Mobile X is also SIM Unlocked out of the box.

I can't comment on Rogers or others.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 743
Quote:
Originally Posted by ibr4him View Post
I wonder if the "No Contact" or "Off Contract" $399 Moto X is GSM unlocked for international use or US only?

Can someone please confirm?

Thanks
Where are you looking? If you buy a "USA carrier branded" X off Moto Maker, or directly from a carrier it will very likely be SIM locked even if its "no contract." The exception being T-Mobile and Verizon which I know are not sim locked, and will work for USA and Non-USA GSM service (depending on the frequencies of the carrier you will be using... it could be as slow as EDGE, or as fast as HSPA+ or LTE).