[Q] 4.4.2->4.4.4 VRZN Rooted

29th July 2014, 04:06 PM   |  #11  
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 796

1,995 posts
More
The only reason to flash stock system.img before taking an OTA is if you made so many changes to system files you can't remember them to undo them. i.e. you modified your system so much that flashing system.img is the fastest way back to stock so it passes the validation checks of the OTA.

I thought there is an Xposed disabler (in the xposed thread) that you can run rather than uninstalling?

That being said.. this information has been the same for EVERY OTA Update. You have to flash stock recovery for the OTA to install, and your system can't be modified too much or it will fail the validation checks built into the OTA.zip. (i.e. there is a manifest file that checks for specific files and their check sums before it will flash the ota).

IF you are close enough to stock (like I am... stock, unlocked, rooted, with adfree, wifi tether for root, greenify, Quick boot, and a few other apps that require root), you can just flash stock recovery and take the OTA.

IF you are close enough to stock... you can also use the following... WITHOUT a PC... i.e. you haven't modified system too much, etc.
  1. Place stock recovery.img, the latest TWRP img, the latest SuperSU.zip and the OTA.zip on your phone's DOWNLOAD folder.
  2. Install Rashr.
  3. Use Rashr to to flash stock recovery (select other from storage, and select your stock recovery). When it completes, pick the option to reboot to stock recovery.
  4. From stock recovery, install the update zip and reboot the phone.
  5. After the update install process is complete, use Rashr to flash TWRP (again, other from storage and pick your TWRP). When prompted, reboot into recovery (so twrp sticks). When in TWRP, select reboot to system.

If you lost root, reboot into TWRP recovery and install SuperSU.zip
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
29th July 2014, 04:34 PM   |  #12  
OP Member
Thanks Meter: 14

54 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

The only reason to flash stock system.img before taking an OTA is if you made so many changes to system files you can't remember them to undo them. i.e. you modified your system so much that flashing system.img is the fastest way back to stock so it passes the validation checks of the OTA.

I thought there is an Xposed disabler (in the xposed thread) that you can run rather than uninstalling?

That being said.. this information has been the same for EVERY OTA Update. You have to flash stock recovery for the OTA to install, and your system can't be modified too much or it will fail the validation checks built into the OTA.zip. (i.e. there is a manifest file that checks for specific files and their check sums before it will flash the ota).

IF you are close enough to stock (like I am... stock, unlocked, rooted, with adfree, wifi tether for root, greenify, Quick boot, and a few other apps that require root), you can just flash stock recovery and take the OTA.

IF you are close enough to stock... you can also use the following... WITHOUT a PC... i.e. you haven't modified system too much, etc.

1. Place stock recovery.img, the latest TWRP img, the latest SuperSU.zip and the OTA.zip on your phone's DOWNLOAD folder.
  2. Install Rashr.
  3. Use Rashr to to flash stock recovery (select other from storage, and select your stock recovery). When it completes, pick the option to reboot to stock recovery.
  4. From stock recovery, install the update zip and reboot the phone.
  5. After the update install process is complete, use Rashr to flash TWRP (again, other from storage and pick your TWRP). When prompted, reboot into recovery (so twrp sticks). When in TWRP, select reboot to system.

If you lost root, reboot into TWRP recovery and install SuperSU.zip

Thanks for the tip. I believe I did it the way I mentioned because last time gravity box didnt have a wifi tether available so I had to modify the system files. this time I didnt touch them.
30th July 2014, 05:20 PM   |  #13  
Thanks Meter: 159

633 posts
Flashing system.img is imo the smartest move to ensure the OTA takes. It's worth it as it only takes a minute and you don't have to even think about what you changed. Plus, it doesn't delete your data.

You are in there flashing stock recovery anyway, might as well.

Sent from my Dev Edition Moto X
The Following User Says Thank You to Schaweet For This Useful Post: [ View ]
30th July 2014, 05:30 PM   |  #14  
Thanks Meter: 1,683

1,961 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by Schaweet

Flashing system.img is imo the smartest move to ensure the OTA takes. It's worth it as it only takes a minute and you don't have to even think about what you changed. Plus, it doesn't delete your data.

+1
1st August 2014, 02:31 PM   |  #15  
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 8

224 posts
More
Quote:

I'm getting an error while attempting to flash the system.img. I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like "data exceeds download buffer". I flashed the recovery.img without issue. I tried to take the OTA and it gets halfway through and craps out with the red exclamation triangle... Any ideas?
1st August 2014, 02:33 PM   |  #16  
Thanks Meter: 159

633 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoid_99

I'm getting an error while attempting to flash the system.img. I don't remember the exact wording but it was something like "data exceeds download buffer". I flashed the recovery.img without issue. I tried to take the OTA and it gets halfway through and craps out with the red exclamation triangle... Any ideas?

Are you using mfastboot to flash system.img? You can't use regular fastboot. Just search for mfastboot.

1st August 2014, 03:13 PM   |  #17  
Flag Huntsville, AL
Thanks Meter: 8

224 posts
More
Quote:

Are you using mfastboot to flash system.img? You can't use regular fastboot. Just search for mfastboot.

Thank you Thank you.... That was it.
The Following User Says Thank You to zoid_99 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd August 2014, 03:35 PM   |  #18  
Thanks Meter: 0

19 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dhoppy

has anyone tried this to upgrade to 4.4.4? (unlocked BL, rooted 4.4.2 on Verizon)

1.6 SU was the only issue I had, I got the latest and had no issue
http://download.chainfire.eu/supersu

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread