5,598,938 Members 31,596 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Can I get the 4.4.2 OTA update while on 4.4 rooted?

Tip us?

Gus194
Old
Thanks Meter 54
Sorry for this OT post but @SymbioticGenius can you check your PM's?

SymbioticGenius
Old
Thanks Meter 92
I guess it's all about priorities. I'm in the US. I got a Dev edition because root was my priority. I also like the idea of a warranty I'll probably never use. I could have gone T-Mobile moto maker and done the same thing but having a fancy color wasn't a priority. I was on Verizon prior to T-Mobile and I left because they refused to lower my payments for me buying an unsubsidized phone. Again, lower payments are a priority to me (saved $100+/month) but it might not be to some. Lastly, only two of the major 4 carriers have locked bootloaders both of whom have developer editions for their network.

All in all, I couldn't care less what people do with their phones, I just see a huge amount of complaints about not being able to root or bricking phones trying to root which to me is sad because no other manufacturer has made it so easy to get a phone, unlock it, root it and keep warranty. Sometimes I just gotta laugh...

MotoX Developer Edition went from German 4.4.2 to Great Britain 4.4.2 to T-Mobile 4.4.2 no problem. Fastboot FTW!

Cozume
Old
(Last edited by Cozume; 17th February 2014 at 09:23 PM.)
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by SymbioticGenius View Post
All in all, I couldn't care less what people do with their phones, I just see a huge amount of complaints about not being able to root or bricking phones trying to root which to me is sad because no other manufacturer has made it so easy to get a phone, unlock it, root it and keep warranty. Sometimes I just gotta laugh...
Here is my analysis of how to get a FREE Dev Ed on Verizon (plus free case and screen protector) if you have an upgrade available:

How to Get a FREE Moto X Dev Ed If You Have an Upgrade Available

Only works if you signed up for the BB reserve gift card and get the current sale price on the iPhone 5s and Dev Ed. But even if you didn't sign-up for the reserve gift card, it is still a pretty good deal.

And if you are not on Verizon but ATT, I would have to see how much the locked GSM iPhones sell for on swappa to price that out.