MultiROM Once Again Available for the Galaxy S4

Multiboot, or the ability to select betweenmultiple operating systems on a single device at … more

Build an Impractical But Awesome Lego Mindstorm Dock

The vast majority of what we cover here on the XDA-Developers News Portal relates to … more

MultiROM Makes its Way Over to the HTC One (M8)

While browsing our forum, you will undoubtedly find more than a few enticing ROMs available … more

Welcome to the New XDA-Developers Portal!

You may recall that a few weeks ago, we opened up the XDA-2015 forum themesto intrepid users … more
Post Reply

4.4.2 root method?

9th April 2014, 07:33 PM   |  #1  
sivarticus85's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta GA
Thanks Meter: 151
 
832 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Youmobile shared this article in G+ today stating this root method works for 4.4.2 users. I thought one didn't exist yet?

http://www.youmobile.org/blogs/entry/Root-Moto-X-KitKat

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
9th April 2014, 07:46 PM   |  #2  
southern87's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag The Command Center
Thanks Meter: 97
 
464 posts
Join Date:Joined: May 2008
More
I think he meant 4.2.2...itd the same as the 4.4 root steps

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app
9th April 2014, 08:34 PM   |  #3  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 800
 
1,998 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Discussed here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...x-qa/-t2710834

Step 11 tells you to downgrade the Bootloader (MOTOBOOT.IMG) and GPT.BIN which is part of the security stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those the main components involved with bricking when trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 and lower?

And you'd still have Write Protection Enabled if you have a locked bootloader (so changes will be lost when you power off/on)

EDIT: And step 15 of that web page points you to the SlapMyMoto thread here on XDA... and we know that SlapMyMoto doesn't work on 4.4.2.
Last edited by KidJoe; 9th April 2014 at 08:38 PM.
9th April 2014, 08:39 PM   |  #4  
sivarticus85's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta GA
Thanks Meter: 151
 
832 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

Discussed here -> http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...x-qa/-t2710834

Step 11 tells you to downgrade the Bootloader (MOTOBOOT.IMG) and GPT.BIN which is part of the security stuff. Correct me if I'm wrong, but aren't those the main components involved with bricking when trying to downgrade from 4.4.2 to 4.4 and lower?

And you'd still have Write Protection Enabled if you have a locked bootloader (so changes will be lost when you power off/on)

Oh... Didn't see that post.

Yeah I noticed that when reading through the steps.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app
9th April 2014, 08:41 PM   |  #5  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 800
 
1,998 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivarticus85

Oh... Didn't see that post.

its ok.. that thread title isn't the most descriptive.
The Following User Says Thank You to KidJoe For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th April 2014, 09:37 PM   |  #6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 507
 
2,503 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by sivarticus85

Oh... Didn't see that post.

Yeah I noticed that when reading through the steps.

Sent from my XT1060 using XDA Premium 4 mobile app

There is an aio utility in the original dev section.

Also could ss be installed with this limited yet to be published, root? Or this impactor? On 442 that is.
10th April 2014, 05:19 PM   |  #7  
KidJoe's Avatar
Senior Member
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 800
 
1,998 posts
Join Date:Joined: Aug 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks

There is an aio utility in the original dev section.

the AIO untilities and root processes for 4.4 don't work on 4.4.2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by aviwdoowks

Also could ss be installed with this limited yet to be published, root? Or this impactor? On 442 that is.

Yes, rooted 4.4, and use safestrap for 4.4.2 is about the only option if you can't unlock your bootloader.
10th April 2014, 06:07 PM   |  #8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 507
 
2,503 posts
Join Date:Joined: Sep 2012
Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

the AIO untilities and root processes for 4.4 don't work on 4.4.2.


Yes, rooted 4.4, and use safestrap for 4.4.2 is about the only option if you can't unlock your bootloader.

I meant: to go from 442 to the limited yet to be revealed root & install ss w/o write access.
11th April 2014, 03:48 AM   |  #9  
sivarticus85's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Atlanta GA
Thanks Meter: 151
 
832 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jan 2011
More
In case anyone is wondering, I still tried it, and it doesn't work. Telnet doesn't work on 4.4.2.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Top Threads in Moto X Q&A by ThreadRank