Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,809,630 Members 39,795 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto x from usa

Tip us?

fede.rico
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Moto x from usa

Hi,this is my first post so i hope that i'm in the right place and not breaking any rules of the forum, anyway...
I'm lookin for a Moto x and i saw really cheap one on ebay from the usa but i have some question:
1: i've found out that i have no problem in using it in italy if it has tha gsm card slot and right frequencies, so ok,
2: i've seen some services that unlock for you the phone with a small fee, it can be done with bad esn/imei? no i suppose but i'm asking anyway.
3: a bad esn phone with gsm slot can be used anyway outside usa since esn is related to cdma?
4: all sprint's phones are only CDMA? can i unlock the gsm to use it outside usa?

Thank you guys 4 your work,
Federico

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,564
I might work....it might not.

But it sure is a gamble with your money. Plus you'd be supporting a thief.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

diablobase
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The Moto X is available in europe since around february(?), you can even buy it directly from motorola on amazon.it
As far as i can see that should be the german version, but the european Moto X (XT1052) has all languages available so you can easily change it.
Besides you would have no problems with any frequencies and even LTE would work (which doesnt with a US Moto X).

This should also be cheaper than importing it from the US as you have to pay additional ~25% taxes.

Hope this helps you, i also imported the Moto X from the US back when it was released and everyone thought it was going to be US only.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 771
Quote:
Originally Posted by fede.rico View Post
Hi,this is my first post so i hope that i'm in the right place and not breaking any rules of the forum, anyway...
I'm lookin for a Moto x and i saw really cheap one on ebay from the usa but i have some question:
1: i've found out that i have no problem in using it in italy if it has tha gsm card slot and right frequencies, so ok,
2: i've seen some services that unlock for you the phone with a small fee, it can be done with bad esn/imei? no i suppose but i'm asking anyway.
3: a bad esn phone with gsm slot can be used anyway outside usa since esn is related to cdma?
4: all sprint's phones are only CDMA? can i unlock the gsm to use it outside usa?

Thank you guys 4 your work,
Federico
  1. Make sure the phone supports ALL frequencies of your carrier. Not all X's support all frequencies. While most support the standard 4 standard GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies, if the phone you buy doesn't support the frequencies your carrier uses for UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ or LTE, you could be stuck as Edge Only. Oh, and from reading threads on the Republic Wireless X it appears that variant X doesn't support the 4 GSM frequencies.
  2. It depends. In the past, the "bad" IMEI/ESN databases were kept by the carrier and not shared. More recently carriers are sharing, but I don't know if this is shared between countries, nor do I know if its shared with SIM Unlock Code sellers.
  3. Since the CDMA X has a SIM slot capable of GSM roaming, reporting a bad ESN might also cause the IMEI to be reported as bad too.
  4. Sprint X does support quad band GSM for global roaming, but apparently only SPRINT has the needed SIM unlock code. To get it, you must be a current sprint customer, with that phone on your line. There are many posts of people buying the Sprint X to use over seas, who are not able to get it SIM Unlocked
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-