Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,785,791 Members 50,794 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Moto x from usa

Tip us?

fede.rico
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Moto x from usa

Hi,this is my first post so i hope that i'm in the right place and not breaking any rules of the forum, anyway...
I'm lookin for a Moto x and i saw really cheap one on ebay from the usa but i have some question:
1: i've found out that i have no problem in using it in italy if it has tha gsm card slot and right frequencies, so ok,
2: i've seen some services that unlock for you the phone with a small fee, it can be done with bad esn/imei? no i suppose but i'm asking anyway.
3: a bad esn phone with gsm slot can be used anyway outside usa since esn is related to cdma?
4: all sprint's phones are only CDMA? can i unlock the gsm to use it outside usa?

Thank you guys 4 your work,
Federico

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,316
I might work....it might not.

But it sure is a gamble with your money. Plus you'd be supporting a thief.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

diablobase
Old
Thanks Meter 0
The Moto X is available in europe since around february(?), you can even buy it directly from motorola on amazon.it
As far as i can see that should be the german version, but the european Moto X (XT1052) has all languages available so you can easily change it.
Besides you would have no problems with any frequencies and even LTE would work (which doesnt with a US Moto X).

This should also be cheaper than importing it from the US as you have to pay additional ~25% taxes.

Hope this helps you, i also imported the Moto X from the US back when it was released and everyone thought it was going to be US only.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 747
Quote:
Originally Posted by fede.rico View Post
Hi,this is my first post so i hope that i'm in the right place and not breaking any rules of the forum, anyway...
I'm lookin for a Moto x and i saw really cheap one on ebay from the usa but i have some question:
1: i've found out that i have no problem in using it in italy if it has tha gsm card slot and right frequencies, so ok,
2: i've seen some services that unlock for you the phone with a small fee, it can be done with bad esn/imei? no i suppose but i'm asking anyway.
3: a bad esn phone with gsm slot can be used anyway outside usa since esn is related to cdma?
4: all sprint's phones are only CDMA? can i unlock the gsm to use it outside usa?

Thank you guys 4 your work,
Federico
  1. Make sure the phone supports ALL frequencies of your carrier. Not all X's support all frequencies. While most support the standard 4 standard GSM/GPRS/EDGE frequencies, if the phone you buy doesn't support the frequencies your carrier uses for UMTS/HSPA/HSPA+ or LTE, you could be stuck as Edge Only. Oh, and from reading threads on the Republic Wireless X it appears that variant X doesn't support the 4 GSM frequencies.
  2. It depends. In the past, the "bad" IMEI/ESN databases were kept by the carrier and not shared. More recently carriers are sharing, but I don't know if this is shared between countries, nor do I know if its shared with SIM Unlock Code sellers.
  3. Since the CDMA X has a SIM slot capable of GSM roaming, reporting a bad ESN might also cause the IMEI to be reported as bad too.
  4. Sprint X does support quad band GSM for global roaming, but apparently only SPRINT has the needed SIM unlock code. To get it, you must be a current sprint customer, with that phone on your line. There are many posts of people buying the Sprint X to use over seas, who are not able to get it SIM Unlocked
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-