Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,814,562 Members 53,800 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4.3 to 4.4.2 Xt1058

Tip us?

ramarivera
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] 4.4.3 to 4.4.2 Xt1058

I was wondering if i can safely flash the 4.4.2 file from sbf (retail argentina) on a 4.4.3 (from OTA) phone?

M973
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramarivera View Post
I was wondering if i can safely flash the 4.4.2 file from sbf (retail argentina) on a 4.4.3 (from OTA) phone?
I'm sure someone here can explain better than I can, but I've read time and time again don't downgrade, there is the risk of bricking
The Following User Says Thank You to M973 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,645

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Yes, as @M973 has advised, you can not "safely" downgrade back to 4.4.2. The reason is that "gpt.bin" - the partition table can NOT be downgraded. Even if you are able to manually downgrade the rest of the partitions to 4.4.2, you will still have a mismatched gpt.bin, and hence will be at risk of bricking the next time you take an OTA.

Once the 4.4.3 or higher SBF for retail Argentina is released, you CAN safely flash it, without risk of bricking.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ramarivera
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
Yes, as @M973 has advised, you can not "safely" downgrade back to 4.4.2. The reason is that "gpt.bin" - the partition table can NOT be downgraded. Even if you are able to manually downgrade the rest of the partitions to 4.4.2, you will still have a mismatched gpt.bin, and hence will be at risk of bricking the next time you take an OTA.

Once the 4.4.3 or higher SBF for retail Argentina is released, you CAN safely flash it, without risk of bricking.
Is it normal for the ota to have been reelased and still no sign of the 4.4.3 SBF on motorola site?

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,645

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Is it normal for the ota to have been reelased and still no sign of the 4.4.3 SBF on motorola site?
Yes, it is completely normal. Usually, the SBF is not released for days, weeks, or sometimes even months after the OTA comes out.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

aben2amu
Old
(Last edited by aben2amu; 9th August 2014 at 06:39 AM.)
Thanks Meter 57
I went from 4.4.3 Retail Brazil to 4.4.2, it is possible, yes, you may have a gpt.bin mismatch but at the end I took the 4.4.3 OTA and 4.4.4. And it is working fine. The reason I had to downgrade was that my 4.4.3 was rooted and with xposed and uninstalling and flashing stock recovery did not work while booting the 4.4.4 OTA.

So it can be done but with precaution.
Moto X XT1058
ROM: Stock 4.4.4 Retail Brazil

Samsung Note 8.0 GT-N5100
ROM: Stock 4.4.2 rooted

Acer Iconia Tab A500
ROM: FLEXREAPER RELIX 2.0
Android 4.1.2

KidJoe
Old
(Last edited by KidJoe; 9th August 2014 at 01:28 PM.)
Thanks Meter 774
Quote:
Define Moto's site.

For example -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ is neither owned, nor operated, nor sponsored, nor connected to moto in anyway. Its hosted, run, maintained by some "guys" who come across or otherwise FIND the SBF files, and post them. SBF/FXZ files do not appear there until they are found or leaked. How long that takes has no pattern.

On the other hand... This site -> https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ecovery-images *IS* owned and operated by Motorola. It contains the recovery images for the Developer Edition phones (XT1053 and XT1060... note these images also work for the equivalent Non-Dev XT1053 and XT1060 from moto maker and "retail"). Moto posts the images, but it seems its usually AFTER that particular android version has been rolled out to all models in all locations (i.e. the 4.4.2 SBF for the GSM and VZW Dev Edition X didn't show up on Moto's site until after the roll out to 4.4.2 was done on all carriers to all X models, even non-Dev Edition devices).
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-

ramarivera
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by aben2amu View Post
I went from 4.4.3 Retail Brazil to 4.4.2, it is possible, yes, you may have a gpt.bin mismatch but at the end I took the 4.4.3 OTA and 4.4.4. And it is working fine. The reason I had to downgrade was that my 4.4.3 was rooted and with xposed and uninstalling and flashing stock recovery did not work while booting the 4.4.4 OTA.

So it can be done but with precaution.
Thats exactly what i want to do, i have a XT1058 , so so say its safe then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe View Post
Define Moto's site.

For example -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ is neither owned, nor operated, nor sponsored, nor connected to moto in anyway. Its hosted, run, maintained by some "guys" who come across or otherwise FIND the SBF files, and post them. SBF/FXZ files do not appear there until they are found or leaked. How long that takes has no pattern.

On the other hand... This site -> https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ecovery-images *IS* owned and operated by Motorola. It contains the recovery images for the Developer Edition phones (XT1053 and XT1060... note these images also work for the equivalent Non-Dev XT1053 and XT1060 from moto maker and "retail"). Moto posts the images, but it seems its usually AFTER that particular android version has been rolled out to all models in all locations (i.e. the 4.4.2 SBF for the GSM and VZW Dev Edition X didn't show up on Moto's site until after the roll out to 4.4.2 was done on all carriers to all X models, even non-Dev Edition devices).
Yes, my bad, i was talking about http://sbf.droid-developers.org

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,645

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Thats exactly what i want to do, i have a XT1058 , so so say its safe then?

Yes, my bad, i was talking about http://sbf.droid-developers.org
@ramarivera : It is your phone, so you can do with it as you would like. Keep in mind that although the procedure worked for that individual, if you try this, you are doing so at your own risk.

I wish you the best of luck.