Lollipop Leak for Sprint Galaxy S5, TWRP for Micromax Canvas Magnus – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop has been leaked for the Sprint … more

Velocity is Like OpenTable on Steroids

We all enjoy a night out with friends or our significant other from time to time. However, there is … more

Android Lollipop Lands for the Sony Xperia Z Ultra

The undisputed king of the beasts–at least in Sony’s current stable,is the … more

Android 5.0 Lollipop in 3D–EVO 3D, That Is!

It is that time of the year once again. Flowers bloom (or snow falls, depending on which … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] 4.4.3 to 4.4.2 Xt1058

OP ramarivera

9th August 2014, 03:46 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

7 posts
I was wondering if i can safely flash the 4.4.2 file from sbf (retail argentina) on a 4.4.3 (from OTA) phone?
9th August 2014, 03:58 AM   |  #2  
Flag NJ
Thanks Meter: 34

475 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by ramarivera

I was wondering if i can safely flash the 4.4.2 file from sbf (retail argentina) on a 4.4.3 (from OTA) phone?

I'm sure someone here can explain better than I can, but I've read time and time again don't downgrade, there is the risk of bricking
The Following User Says Thank You to M973 For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th August 2014, 04:20 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 1,778

2,025 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Yes, as @M973 has advised, you can not "safely" downgrade back to 4.4.2. The reason is that "gpt.bin" - the partition table can NOT be downgraded. Even if you are able to manually downgrade the rest of the partitions to 4.4.2, you will still have a mismatched gpt.bin, and hence will be at risk of bricking the next time you take an OTA.

Once the 4.4.3 or higher SBF for retail Argentina is released, you CAN safely flash it, without risk of bricking.
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
9th August 2014, 05:43 AM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Yes, as @M973 has advised, you can not "safely" downgrade back to 4.4.2. The reason is that "gpt.bin" - the partition table can NOT be downgraded. Even if you are able to manually downgrade the rest of the partitions to 4.4.2, you will still have a mismatched gpt.bin, and hence will be at risk of bricking the next time you take an OTA.

Once the 4.4.3 or higher SBF for retail Argentina is released, you CAN safely flash it, without risk of bricking.

Is it normal for the ota to have been reelased and still no sign of the 4.4.3 SBF on motorola site?
9th August 2014, 05:48 AM   |  #5  

2,025 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Is it normal for the ota to have been reelased and still no sign of the 4.4.3 SBF on motorola site?

Yes, it is completely normal. Usually, the SBF is not released for days, weeks, or sometimes even months after the OTA comes out.
9th August 2014, 07:35 AM   |  #6  
Flag Santiago
Thanks Meter: 57

392 posts
More
I went from 4.4.3 Retail Brazil to 4.4.2, it is possible, yes, you may have a gpt.bin mismatch but at the end I took the 4.4.3 OTA and 4.4.4. And it is working fine. The reason I had to downgrade was that my 4.4.3 was rooted and with xposed and uninstalling and flashing stock recovery did not work while booting the 4.4.4 OTA.

So it can be done but with precaution.
Last edited by aben2amu; 9th August 2014 at 07:39 AM.
9th August 2014, 02:25 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 914

2,186 posts
More
Quote:

Define Moto's site.

For example -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ is neither owned, nor operated, nor sponsored, nor connected to moto in anyway. Its hosted, run, maintained by some "guys" who come across or otherwise FIND the SBF files, and post them. SBF/FXZ files do not appear there until they are found or leaked. How long that takes has no pattern.

On the other hand... This site -> https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ecovery-images *IS* owned and operated by Motorola. It contains the recovery images for the Developer Edition phones (XT1053 and XT1060... note these images also work for the equivalent Non-Dev XT1053 and XT1060 from moto maker and "retail"). Moto posts the images, but it seems its usually AFTER that particular android version has been rolled out to all models in all locations (i.e. the 4.4.2 SBF for the GSM and VZW Dev Edition X didn't show up on Moto's site until after the roll out to 4.4.2 was done on all carriers to all X models, even non-Dev Edition devices).
Last edited by KidJoe; 9th August 2014 at 02:28 PM.
9th August 2014, 05:52 PM   |  #8  
OP Junior Member

7 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aben2amu

I went from 4.4.3 Retail Brazil to 4.4.2, it is possible, yes, you may have a gpt.bin mismatch but at the end I took the 4.4.3 OTA and 4.4.4. And it is working fine. The reason I had to downgrade was that my 4.4.3 was rooted and with xposed and uninstalling and flashing stock recovery did not work while booting the 4.4.4 OTA.

So it can be done but with precaution.

Thats exactly what i want to do, i have a XT1058 , so so say its safe then?

Quote:
Originally Posted by KidJoe

Define Moto's site.

For example -> http://sbf.droid-developers.org/ is neither owned, nor operated, nor sponsored, nor connected to moto in anyway. Its hosted, run, maintained by some "guys" who come across or otherwise FIND the SBF files, and post them. SBF/FXZ files do not appear there until they are found or leaked. How long that takes has no pattern.

On the other hand... This site -> https://motorola-global-portal.custh...ecovery-images *IS* owned and operated by Motorola. It contains the recovery images for the Developer Edition phones (XT1053 and XT1060... note these images also work for the equivalent Non-Dev XT1053 and XT1060 from moto maker and "retail"). Moto posts the images, but it seems its usually AFTER that particular android version has been rolled out to all models in all locations (i.e. the 4.4.2 SBF for the GSM and VZW Dev Edition X didn't show up on Moto's site until after the roll out to 4.4.2 was done on all carriers to all X models, even non-Dev Edition devices).

Yes, my bad, i was talking about http://sbf.droid-developers.org
9th August 2014, 06:01 PM   |  #9  

2,025 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:

Thats exactly what i want to do, i have a XT1058 , so so say its safe then?

Yes, my bad, i was talking about http://sbf.droid-developers.org

@ramarivera : It is your phone, so you can do with it as you would like. Keep in mind that although the procedure worked for that individual, if you try this, you are doing so at your own risk.

I wish you the best of luck.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread