Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,778,438 Members 44,619 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4.4.3 zombie apps draining battery

Tip us?

gcbxda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Default 4.4.3 zombie apps draining battery

Just got my Dev edition. Upgraded to 4.4.2 and after a while to 4.4.3

All seemed fine until i noticed that Google play books used 40% of the battery... Weird since i opened it, scrolled the list and closed... It wasn't even in the recent app list...

I killed it and added to the disable list (i use fbreader anyway)... Now today (second day with phone) the same happened with YouTube...

It used 30% of the battery. I watched a10s clip... App info said 10s foreground... 30 min background... And again, it wasn't even on the recent app list to be closed. Just went to apps and force closed.

Now I'm worried that this is a thing with everything Google (which honestly i can disable all but gmail and maps) or the OS...

Anyone getting the same? I'm not sure what to search for to find similar threads...

I'm guessing this is either common or i have a ducked device since i got it twice for the 2 days i have it...

Sent from my XT1053 using XDA Free mobile app
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1402963724779.jpg
Views:	143
Size:	30.1 KB
ID:	2802445   Click image for larger version

Name:	1402963741383.jpg
Views:	175
Size:	42.6 KB
ID:	2802446  
--

Moto X, buyer remorse, stock.
nexus one, buyer remorse. cm7.1
hp touchpad, pure awesomeness. cm9 nightly + stock webOS
alcatel touch one fire. firefoxOS from source every slow weekend or so.

gcbxda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Typos courtesy of getting used to new keyboard
Also can't find an edit button...

--

scorpion667
Old
Thanks Meter 133
Ugh that's really weird. If you're rooted it will be a lot easier to fix but for now reboot the phone and use it like that for another day. Sometimes the OS and apps need time to settle. For example I did a fresh flash two days ago and my Google services had a 1 hour and 13 minute wakelock yesterday where as today it's behaving very well. But YouTube doing that is weird. Never auto update your apps as 85% of updates are crap across the board. Try going to apps under settings and click uninstall updates for YouTube. This should revert YouTube to the version that came with 4.4.3, unless that's already the latest. But yeah for now try and "tickle" YouTube by logging out, wiping cache and data for it under settings/apps and log back in, see if it starts behaving. I'll monitor this thread to try and help.

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Moto X [Rogers XT1058]
Stock 4.4.2, Rooted and heavily debloated
Moto X Debloat guide

Retired:
2x S2 i9100, iphone 4s, S3 I747, iphone 5, Nexus 4, HTC One

gcbxda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
Thanks. I did all that yesterday and rebooted. So far everything seems fine. So i think you're spot on. Tho it is a bad sign to have those bugs

The phone did lock up twice on me after that.

Once playing webm on chrome. But i just disabled it a while later. Firefox beta ftw! ( ff is the Only reason i have up my nexus one)

Another time when i inserted the Sim with the phone on and right away unlocked the slider... It froze mid slider animation. Think i hit some race condition there. Hopefully i won't be inserting sim cards all the time...

Overall i think i will be able to live with that phone. Now only if i could use nfc unlock with my assine employer email policy...

--

gcbxda
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 4
It may have happened again. It's reporting a widget (simple calendar) as using 15min of cpu with 4min of foreground time. I had opened its setting screen 15 min ago. After i liked it from the recent task list it stopped counting new cpu time. But it's still showing as the top battery user for now.

Since that setting screen has ads, i will just write this off as a sleazy ad library for now.

--