XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] 4.4 root OTA

Tip us?

JJHunterx
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 15
Default [Q] 4.4 root OTA

I know from previous phones if I rooted and installed a custom recovery that I wouldn't be able to take an OTA update.

Would still I be able to receive a new OTA update (say 4.4.2) if my Moto X (4.4) is Rooted without write protection?

titanshadow
Old
Thanks Meter 87
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHunterx View Post
I know from previous phones if I rooted and installed a custom recovery that I wouldn't be able to take an OTA update.

Would still I be able to receive a new OTA update (say 4.4.2) if my Moto X (4.4) is Rooted without write protection?
I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to install the OTA with a custom recovery.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Cyanogenmod is to the average user as caviar is to the general.

https://plus.google.com/+DavidHagar/

matt99017d
Old
Thanks Meter 162

DONATE TO ME
With the new root method (wp off) you keep the stock recovery. The only real way to know is too try. I guess its feasible..... But I've seen rooted devices boot loop in OTA's too....time will tell!

Sent from non rooted motoX :'(

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 171
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt99017d View Post
With the new root method (wp off) you keep the stock recovery. The only real way to know is too try. I guess its feasible..... But I've seen rooted devices boot loop in OTA's too....time will tell!

Sent from non rooted motoX :'(

it is not something i would do when the next OTA comes out i would revert to stock and take the OTA or i would wait for a root and go from there. i do know for a fact with a custom recovery if you take a OTA your device will bootloop. with WP off i am not sure what would happen but again i would not recommend trying because it could case some major issues.
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |