[Q] 4.4 root OTA

OP JJHunterx

17th January 2014, 10:23 PM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 15

120 posts
I know from previous phones if I rooted and installed a custom recovery that I wouldn't be able to take an OTA update.

Would still I be able to receive a new OTA update (say 4.4.2) if my Moto X (4.4) is Rooted without write protection?
17th January 2014, 10:45 PM   |  #2  
Flag Lexington, KY
Thanks Meter: 93

610 posts
Donate to Me
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by JJHunterx

I know from previous phones if I rooted and installed a custom recovery that I wouldn't be able to take an OTA update.

Would still I be able to receive a new OTA update (say 4.4.2) if my Moto X (4.4) is Rooted without write protection?

I'm pretty sure that you won't be able to install the OTA with a custom recovery.

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
18th January 2014, 12:48 AM   |  #3  
Flag white city oregon
Thanks Meter: 177

897 posts
Donate to Me
More
With the new root method (wp off) you keep the stock recovery. The only real way to know is too try. I guess its feasible..... But I've seen rooted devices boot loop in OTA's too....time will tell!

Sent from non rooted motoX :'(
18th January 2014, 01:53 AM   |  #4  
Flag Fort Myers,FL
Thanks Meter: 225

543 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt99017d

With the new root method (wp off) you keep the stock recovery. The only real way to know is too try. I guess its feasible..... But I've seen rooted devices boot loop in OTA's too....time will tell!

Sent from non rooted motoX :'(

it is not something i would do when the next OTA comes out i would revert to stock and take the OTA or i would wait for a root and go from there. i do know for a fact with a custom recovery if you take a OTA your device will bootloop. with WP off i am not sure what would happen but again i would not recommend trying because it could case some major issues.
Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread