Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,808,781 Members 47,998 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Help me figure out what to do with my Moto X

Tip us?

cucamelsmd15
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default Help me figure out what to do with my Moto X

Currently, heres my situation: Moto X, non DE, on VZW. Currently still on 4.4, although I just received the notification for 4.4.2 this afternoon.

I havent rooted yet, because mistakenly, I thought I was already on 4.4.2 since this phone is less than a week old. My mistake.

Id like to root in order to bypass the Exchange PIN requirement, as well as unbloat the phone. But, coming from an unlocked Galaxy Nexus on Verizon, I have to question if its really worth it since the bootloader is locked. i.e. can I stay up to date with AOSP based roms without an unlocked bootloader?

mercado79
Old
(Last edited by mercado79; 2nd March 2014 at 09:11 PM.)
Thanks Meter 380
From my understanding, you (we... I'm in the same boat) can only flash stock based ROMs. Some, like Eclipse, are highly customized. I'm rooted and have Safestrap installed. Highly recommend you do the same.

Safestrap is an apk you install after rooting which installs a TWRP-based bootloader for Nandroid backup and flashing ROMs/files.

--Edit--

Here's some info I'd shared with another user:

Safestrap is an apk you install which loads a bootloader of sorts on your phone. When you boot up, you'd get an option to boot into a custom "recovery", even on locked phones. It's a modified version of TWRP. So, you install the app once rooted. I did it while on 4.2.2. Then you just need to find ROMs which devs have created specifically for Safestrap and flash that via recovery. Make sure to create a Nandroid backup (via recovery of course) before messing around with anything. There are two that I know of (both currently based on 4.4, but both devs plan to release 4.4.2 versions soon).

Stock ROM flashable via Safestrap here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/108826-ro...140455-kitkat/

Eclipse custom ROM here: http://forum.xda-developers.com/moto...-v2-2-t2521509

You can download the Safestrap 3.65 apk (which should work fine on rooted 4.4, but again.. I installed it while on 4.2.2) here: http://rootzwiki.com/topic/104161-re...65-2013-11-13/
Moto X
Stable ROM: Eclipse 3.2.1 via Safestrap (Kit Kat 4.4.2)

Google Nexus 7 FHD
Stable ROM: Rastakat
Alt ROM: Stock Rooted

cucamelsmd15
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by mercado79 View Post
From my understanding, you (we... I'm in the same boat) can only flash stock based ROMs. Some, like Eclipse, are highly customized. I'm rooted and have Safestrap installed. Highly recommend you do the same.

Safestrap is an apk you install after rooting which installs a TWRP-based bootloader for Nandroid backup and flashing ROMs/files.

Sent from my Moto X
Which root method did you use?

mercado79
Old
Thanks Meter 380
SlapMyMoto, but you can easily downgrade to the camera update version of 4.2.2 (the Moto X Toolkit makes it ridiculously easy), root it, install Safestrap, and go from there.

Sent from my Moto X
Moto X
Stable ROM: Eclipse 3.2.1 via Safestrap (Kit Kat 4.4.2)

Google Nexus 7 FHD
Stable ROM: Rastakat
Alt ROM: Stock Rooted

binary visions
Old
(Last edited by binary visions; 2nd March 2014 at 10:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 64
"Unbloat" is bit of a misnomer here, I think. It comes with a few VZW apps which can be disabled. Deleting them will not speed up your phone more than disabling them will.

Also, if your sole reason to root is to disable the single security precaution that your company asks of you in order to protect their data and intellectual property, well, as an IT employee myself, I'd suggest against it. You might even open yourself up to legal action if their data or networks were compromised due to you bypassing their security protocols. If you can't deal with the PIN lock, I'd recommend just removing the exchange account entirely - use the web interface if it's available.

Just my $0.02. There are lots of great reasons to root your phone. Just not sure the two you listed are among them.