XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

4g always on?

Tip us?

frenchie007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Default 4g always on?

Hi, I'm finally an official moto x user! Got it unlocked and using it on my carrier in France.
Anyway I just unlocked it, set the APN settings for my carrier (SFR in france) and noticed that the 4g icon appeared and seems to be active. I don't believe my data plan is compatible with 4g.

My questions are: is the phone actually using 4g, even though my plan doesn't enable it by default?
And if so, will it bring subsequent costs?

Thanks!

Sent from my XT1058 using xda app-developers app
Moto X - Stock and Slapped!
Galaxy Note 10.1 - rom : Android Revolution HD

Nexus S - DEAD
HTC Aria - DEAD

chrisbass
Old
Thanks Meter 92
I'd say your best bet is to contact your carrier and ask them the same questions. I'm sure they'll have a better idea of what's actually going on with your data connection and what data speeds your running.

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk
The Following User Says Thank You to chrisbass For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
My Moto X also has the 4G always on. That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm pulling 4G down though. You need to ask yourself the following:

What type of data is your plan commissioned for?
This is relevant because the Moto X will display the 4G symbol when it senses that it can pull down HSPA+. Quick history lesson: HSPA+ isn't technically 4G. The 3GPP hadn't fully set the standard for what 4G would be when US carriers just decided to deem HSPA+ as 4G. Once the 3GPP settled on their standard, it was already too late; the marketing for "4G!" had begun, and they agreed to let the carriers continue to call this sub-4G standard 4G (hell, if you wanna get really technical, LTE doesn't even meet the 4G standard, but that's another discussion). How this pertains to you: find out what type of data your plan uses. What your carrier deems "4G" might be different than what the Moto X deems "4G". So what could be happening is that your data plan doesn't include LTE (which your carrier may call 4G) but includes HSPA+ (what your phone calls 4G).
The Following User Says Thank You to Johmama For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frenchie007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johmama View Post
My Moto X also has the 4G always on. That doesn't necessarily mean that I'm pulling 4G down though. You need to ask yourself the following:

What type of data is your plan commissioned for?
This is relevant because the Moto X will display the 4G symbol when it senses that it can pull down HSPA+. Quick history lesson: HSPA+ isn't technically 4G. The 3GPP hadn't fully set the standard for what 4G would be when US carriers just decided to deem HSPA+ as 4G. Once the 3GPP settled on their standard, it was already too late; the marketing for "4G!" had begun, and they agreed to let the carriers continue to call this sub-4G standard 4G (hell, if you wanna get really technical, LTE doesn't even meet the 4G standard, but that's another discussion). How this pertains to you: find out what type of data your plan uses. What your carrier deems "4G" might be different than what the Moto X deems "4G". So what could be happening is that your data plan doesn't include LTE (which your carrier may call 4G) but includes HSPA+ (what your phone calls 4G).
I just read that my plan at SFR uses what they call dual carrier which is in fact hspa+. So according to what you are saying this would trigger the 4g icon and since it is part of my plan it would come at no additional cost, which is great!
So just a final question just to be sure: if my phone detects LTE, will it use it instead of hspa+ (Even though my data plan does not include it)?

Nexus S - DEAD
HTC Aria - DEAD

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by frenchie007 View Post
I just read that my plan at SFR uses what they call dual carrier which is in fact hspa+. So according to what you are saying this would trigger the 4g icon and since it is part of my plan it would come at no additional cost, which is great!
So just a final question just to be sure: if my phone detects LTE, will it use it instead of hspa+ (Even though my data plan does not include it)?
This would be up to your carrier and how they handle this. Your phone will take advantage of any data it can pull down. It's up to your carrier to decide what data you are able to pull. In most cases (in fact, I can't think of a case where this isn't true), you can only pull down what your plan is commissioned for. If your plan doesn't include LTE, it's probably a safe bet that your phone won't ever use it. This happens on the carrier's end. Your SIM card is how they keep track of your minutes, data, and texts used, data standard you're able to access, etc. and if they see your SIM as not on an LTE plan, they won't allow access to their LTE network.

If you want to be 100% sure, it might be wise to check your carrier's website to see exactly how they handle this. Like I said, I don't know of any carrier that allows access to their LTE network to people that don't have an LTE plan, then charge them for it, but I suppose it could be possible (albeit, somewhat shady).
The Following User Says Thank You to Johmama For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

frenchie007
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johmama View Post
This would be up to your carrier and how they handle this. Your phone will take advantage of any data it can pull down. It's up to your carrier to decide what data you are able to pull. In most cases (in fact, I can't think of a case where this isn't true), you can only pull down what your plan is commissioned for. If your plan doesn't include LTE, it's probably a safe bet that your phone won't ever use it. This happens on the carrier's end. Your SIM card is how they keep track of your minutes, data, and texts used, data standard you're able to access, etc. and if they see your SIM as not on an LTE plan, they won't allow access to their LTE network.

If you want to be 100% sure, it might be wise to check your carrier's website to see exactly how they handle this. Like I said, I don't know of any carrier that allows access to their LTE network to people that don't have an LTE plan, then charge them for it, but I suppose it could be possible (albeit, somewhat shady).
Okay thanks a bunch for all the info. For now I'll leave 4g on, and if I see any additional costs come up I'll look more into it. Thanks!

Nexus S - DEAD
HTC Aria - DEAD

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Your phone will also show LTE in very small print along the side of the "4G" if it is connected using LTE. The phone will "prefer" LTE over HSPA if the carrier has provisioned it in your sim card and the phone has a compatible radio for LTE in your area.
The US carriers messed everything up insisting phones display 3G, 4G etc instead of displaying the real type of connection they are using.

The Following User Says Thank You to Steve-x For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]