5,601,223 Members 56,179 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

5GHz Wifi

Tip us?

murso74
Old
Thanks Meter 214
My phone works on 5, but only if I force it. Otherwise it chooses 2.4. 10 feet from the router

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

grenefroggie
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by murso74 View Post
My phone works on 5, but only if I force it. Otherwise it chooses 2.4. 10 feet from the router

There is a reason for that.

When your phone scans for a WiFi network, it scans through 11 wireless channels on 2.4Ghz (in the US). When your phone scans for 5Ghz it has more channels to scan through, 13-15 depending on your router.

That combined with already mentioned reasons such as better 2.4Ghz propagation in homes/offices makes it easier for the phone to connect. Whether 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz, every gain increase of 3dBm doubles transmit power. In one given spot with your router in another room, your 2.4Ghz signal is typically going to be stronger. It is going to choose the 2.4Ghz because the phone scanned and saw it, and the signal was strong.
The Following User Says Thank You to grenefroggie For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

murso74
Old
Thanks Meter 214
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
There is a reason for that.

When your phone scans for a WiFi network, it scans through 11 wireless channels on 2.4Ghz (in the US). When your phone scans for 5Ghz it has more channels to scan through, 13-15 depending on your router.

That combined with already mentioned reasons such as better 2.4Ghz propagation in homes/offices makes it easier for the phone to connect. Whether 2.4Ghz or 5.8Ghz, every gain increase of 3dBm doubles transmit power. In one given spot with your router in another room, your 2.4Ghz signal is typically going to be stronger. It is going to choose the 2.4Ghz because the phone scanned and saw it, and the signal was strong.
I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that actually... Thanks for the refresher

The Following User Says Thank You to murso74 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

T-Keith
Old
Thanks Meter 53
I just removed my password from my g network, the motor x's range is good enough to cover my whole house on n.

Sent from my Nexus 7 using Tapatalk 4
Moto X 32GB
Nexus 7 (2012)
HP printer with Zeen Tablet (2.2)
HP touchpads

Old
Thanks Meter 102
Quote:
Originally Posted by murso74 View Post
I'm embarrassed I didn't think of that actually... Thanks for the refresher

yup. i ended up forgetting my 2.4 bands in favor of the 5. now i'm upset that nothing else in my house uses the 5.

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 163
There is also a chance that depending on the cell band and frequency your phone is using it may disable certain wifi channels as they may interfere with each other. I know depending on certain cell/wifi/bt combos various power levels in the phone are reduced, I wouldn't doubt there are other rules in play as well.

grenefroggie
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
There is also a chance that depending on the cell band and frequency your phone is using it may disable certain wifi channels as they may interfere with each other. I know depending on certain cell/wifi/bt combos various power levels in the phone are reduced, I wouldn't doubt there are other rules in play as well.
In the US, 2100Mhz and 2500Mhz are the closest freqs used near a WiFi router. Channel 11 is 2462Mhz, with 3 more channels left before hitting 2.5Ghz. No carrier to my knowledge uses 5Ghz. DFS starts at 5260 to 5700.

However, BT uses 2.4Ghz, though the radio in your router likely has more output power and will force the BT to change the channel it is on.

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 163
Quote:
Originally Posted by grenefroggie View Post
In the US, 2100Mhz and 2500Mhz are the closest freqs used near a WiFi router. Channel 11 is 2462Mhz, with 3 more channels left before hitting 2.5Ghz. No carrier to my knowledge uses 5Ghz. DFS starts at 5260 to 5700.

However, BT uses 2.4Ghz, though the radio in your router likely has more output power and will force the BT to change the channel it is on.
There is way more in play then that. When a radio transmits on 850 Mhz is also transmits a lower power carrier at 1900 Mhz (known as harmonics) They are greatly reduced in power level but if they are right beside the receiver(as the case would be in a cell phone) it can cause problems. With all the possible bands a phone can transmit and receive on there will always be combinations of harmonics that will reduce the performance of other receivers in the phone. It is also possible to have further issues from mixing products but I won't go into that here.

grenefroggie
Old
Thanks Meter 4
Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve-x View Post
There is way more in play then that. When a radio transmits on 850 Mhz is also transmits a lower power carrier at 1900 Mhz (known as harmonics) They are greatly reduced in power level but if they are right beside the receiver(as the case would be in a cell phone) it can cause problems. With all the possible bands a phone can transmit and receive on there will always be combinations of harmonics that will reduce the performance of other receivers in the phone. It is also possible to have further issues from mixing products but I won't go into that here.
True. I didn't really think to mention harmonics, as most people do not care nor do they understand. There are many things at play, as you said, and I will be the first to say that I do not know all of them, but you raise a good point. I am still not sure if anything running on 1900Mhz would cause issues in the 2.4Ghz band, but I have seen much stranger things happen.