5,598,610 Members 43,874 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

Active Notifications lighting all pixels?

Tip us?

Johmama
Old
Thanks Meter 268

DONATE TO ME
Yeah, I don't think that's normal. The whole reason Active Notifications doesn't annihilate your battery life is because only the pixels that need power, get power. That's how AMOLED works. You can turn off each individual pixel. Which is why you don't see something like Active Notifications on phones with an IPS panel such as the Nexus 5. IPS works by lighting a giant backlight, and the pixels act something like shutters, opening and closing as needed. Of course it's more technical than that, but in layman's terms, that's how you can think of it.

So yeah. Something's up. Those pixels should not be lighting up on an AMOLED display. If it were an IPS, that would be normal.

Steve-x
Old
Thanks Meter 161
Two Rogers phones here, neither do that.(I am running 4.4 though)

fury683
Old
Thanks Meter 47

DONATE TO ME
My VZW MM doesn't do that. Seems strage, as it's a big selling point for the phone that it only lights the pixels you need.

guillots
Old
Thanks Meter 11
i have the same problem, im on 4.2.2, i will take it to motorola
Use this...

matt87n
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayaku View Post
The whole screen flickers gray right? I'm on a Rogers X. Mine does that.

Sent from my XT1053 using Tapatalk
YA! a Rogers phone running 4.2 still.. i did a reset but it didnt help

matt87n
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by Johmama View Post
Yeah, I don't think that's normal. The whole reason Active Notifications doesn't annihilate your battery life is because only the pixels that need power, get power. That's how AMOLED works. You can turn off each individual pixel. Which is why you don't see something like Active Notifications on phones with an IPS panel such as the Nexus 5. IPS works by lighting a giant backlight, and the pixels act something like shutters, opening and closing as needed. Of course it's more technical than that, but in layman's terms, that's how you can think of it.

So yeah. Something's up. Those pixels should not be lighting up on an AMOLED display. If it were an IPS, that would be normal.
thanks for the explanation! cant wait for OLEDs to be ubiquitous.. wonder what comes after OLED, or is it the final frontier for active matrix

matt87n
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Since its a problem that only I would notice, and only in the darkest of rooms, I Dont want to go thru the hassle of explaining to the poor guys at the Rogers store why I want to exchange the phone. I'm wondering whether it may be a software related thing... What's the best way to reset the software besides deleting all data.. Is there a way to get down deeper and scrub it clean?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk

WinterApocalypse
Old
(Last edited by WinterApocalypse; 9th January 2014 at 10:35 AM.) Reason: More information
Thanks Meter 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by matt87n View Post
Since its a problem that only I would notice, and only in the darkest of rooms, I Dont want to go thru the hassle of explaining to the poor guys at the Rogers store why I want to exchange the phone. I'm wondering whether it may be a software related thing... What's the best way to reset the software besides deleting all data.. Is there a way to get down deeper and scrub it clean?

Sent from my XT1058 using Tapatalk
Well, it's most likely just a software bug in the Rogers 4.2 rom. As the others who are not on Rogers do not have this issue, your best bet is probably to upgrade to the T-Mobile 4.4 ROM, which is what I'm running (I'm also with Rogers).

EDIT: Just noticed someone had said that they had Rogers phones that didn't have the issue... I say proceed with caution. You can try reflashing the Rogers stock firmware from the internet, see if that clears it up?
HTC One M7
Rogers Wireless

gunnyman
Old
Thanks Meter 2647

DONATE TO ME
I've had 4 Moto X's. They all did this. It doesn't impact battery enough for me to worry about it. It may be the backlight or something though I admit I know very little about how SAMOLED works.
Uncle Gunny says, "MAKE A NANDROID"
LG G2 Uncarriered
LG Gpad 8.3 GPE
Rooted and Xposed
Don't be a d*ck -Wil Wheaton
Unlocking and rooting your HTC One with a Mac
Oh BTW I'm fat.

alpha-niner64
Old
(Last edited by alpha-niner64; 9th January 2014 at 05:20 PM.)
Thanks Meter 60
I think is happening is that there's some code in there that's telling the transistors to discharge throughout the matrix instead (which explains why the whole screen is dim for a second) which helps with reducing the amount of wear on individual parts of the screen (the notification icons itself). If someone can compare the ActiveNotification between 4.2.2 and 4.4, that would be nice.