5,598,938 Members 30,891 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ADB device unauthorized, no root, can't figure it out?

Tip us?

Xenther
Old
(Last edited by Xenther; 1st January 2014 at 06:46 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Default [Q] ADB device unauthorized, no root, can't figure it out?

Hey, all. So, I just got a Moto X through AT&T, and I'm looking to root it. It came with the 4.4 update already on it, so I've been trying to follow the appropriate guides from jcase, but I'm running into an error very early on. After I download the ADT bundle and get adb installed and have it up and running, I was at first finding that my device wasn't showing up when I did the command "adb devices". I fixed this by getting the drivers from motorola with their device manager download, but...

Now I'm getting it showing up as an unauthorized device. I have USB debugging enabled, to start. I never received an authorization option when plugging my phone into my computer. I have it set to PTP, not MTP. I've tried toggling the USB debugging off and on multiple times, I've tried the revoke usb debugging authorization multiple times, and I've gone through and deleted the .android folder in C->Users->me. Since I don't have root, I can't go through and delete any sort of folder in my phone involving adb, because I saw that a lot as I've been doing google searches on how to try and fix this before posting here. One of my attempts when deleting .android involved me unplugging my Moto X, deleting the .android folder, running adb kill-server and then adb start-server commands, and rebooting my Moto X before plugging it back in. I still have never received an option to authorize my device.

I am running on Windows 8.1, if that makes any difference. I checked my adb version using the command, and it shows me running adb version 1.0.31. I am rather new to playing around with phones and whatnot, and all of the things I have tried were things that I found through google searches that pointed me to threads here at XDA. I'm willing to try pretty much anything, and I will report back and give further information if needed.

Thanks in advance, all

dray_jr
Old
(Last edited by dray_jr; 1st January 2014 at 05:14 PM.)
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
Originally Posted by Xenther View Post
Hey, all. So, I just got a Moto X through AT&T, and I'm looking to root it. It came with the 4.4 update already on it, so I've been trying to follow the appropriate guides from jcase, but I'm running into an error very early on. After I download the ADT bundle and get adb installed and have it up and running, I was at first finding that my device wasn't showing up when I did the command "adb devices". I fixed this by getting the drivers from motorola with their device manager download, but...

Now I'm getting it showing up as an unauthorized device. I have USB debugging enabled, to start. I never received an authorization option when plugging my phone into my computer. I have it set to PTP, not MTP. I've tried toggling the USB debugging off and on multiple times, I've tried the revoke usb debugging authorization multiple times, and I've gone through and deleted the .android folder in C->Users->me. Since I don't have root, I can't go through and delete any sort of folder in my phone involving adb, because I saw that a lot as I've been doing google searches on how to try and fix this before posting here. One of my attempts when deleting .android involved me unplugging my Moto X, deleting the .android folder, running adb kill-server and then adb start-server commands, and rebooting my Moto X before plugging it back in. I still have never received an option to authorize my device.

I am running on Windows 8.1, if that makes any difference. I checked my adb version using the command, and it shows me running adb version 1.0.31. I am rather new to playing around with phones and whatnot, and all of the things I have tried were things that I found through google searches that pointed me to threads here at XDA. I'm willing to try pretty much anything, and I will report back and give further information if needed.

Thanks in advance, all
i also use mine on MTP but im running win7

issue def sounds like you did not allow the connection. have you tried uninstalling the drivers in device manager for the phone restarting and letting windows reinstall them and see if you can get the toast on your phone and accept it.

if that fails i would try competley reinstalling everything or trying another computer, another cable, another port.
Sprint Moto X TWRP 4.4 Self Detoxed
Profiles:Twitter
Guides:MotoX Guides |
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Xenther
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by dray_jr View Post
i also use mine on MTP but im running win7

issue def sounds like you did not allow the connection. have you tried uninstalling the drivers in device manager for the phone restarting and letting windows reinstall them and see if you can get the toast on your phone and accept it.

if that fails i would try competley reinstalling everything or trying another computer, another cable, another port.
I tried PTP because people were saying that they were having better luck with phones in PTP, not MTP. I haven't tried uninstalling the drivers yet, which might be the issue. I tried initially just plugging my phone in before I downloaded the Motorola Device Manager program, so I'll try going through and uninstalling the drivers, and the MDM program, and then reinstalling (when I get home from work).

I'll try another port, and I can also try another computer, so I'll also do that when I get home. Thanks for your response, and I'm really hoping this works

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
I tried PTP because people were saying that they were having better luck with phones in PTP, not MTP. I haven't tried uninstalling the drivers yet, which might be the issue. I tried initially just plugging my phone in before I downloaded the Motorola Device Manager program, so I'll try going through and uninstalling the drivers, and the MDM program, and then reinstalling (when I get home from work).

I'll try another port, and I can also try another computer, so I'll also do that when I get home. Thanks for your response, and I'm really hoping this works

i looked threw a couple threads of people having this issue. this is the order i would troubleshoot myself one other thing i have read is something about unsigned drivers which i dont think you should be having any issues with it but if you ever see a window that states about unsigned drivers reboot your PC while tapping F8 and tap the down arrow till you highlight Disable driver signature required i think is what it says and see if that helps

1. drivers only(make sure you restart after you remove the drivers and make sure you check the box for delete drivers)
2. different port
3. different cable
4. complete reinstall of adb and everything.( also restart after you uninstall everything.)
5. different computer (or use virtual PC if you don't have another PC)
6. re post here lol

Hope this all helps man
The Following User Says Thank You to dray_jr For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

Xenther
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
i looked threw a couple threads of people having this issue. this is the order i would troubleshoot myself one other thing i have read is something about unsigned drivers which i dont think you should be having any issues with it but if you ever see a window that states about unsigned drivers reboot your PC while tapping F8 and tap the down arrow till you highlight Disable driver signature required i think is what it says and see if that helps

1. drivers only(make sure you restart after you remove the drivers and make sure you check the box for delete drivers)
2. different port
3. different cable
4. complete reinstall of adb and everything.( also restart after you uninstall everything.)
6. re post here lol

Hope this all helps man
Thanks again, so much, for all this! I'll go through all of these in about... two hours or so. I'll report back regardless of the outcome. You're awesome for this!

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 172
No problem man hope it fixes your problem

Sent from my XT1056 using xda app-developers app

Xenther
Old
(Last edited by Xenther; 2nd January 2014 at 02:06 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:

2. different port
3. different cable
6. re post here lol

Hope this all helps man

So, I've done everything in this list, and also added trying forums.motorola.com/posts/caa12135bd?commentId=725256#725256 out. I'm pretty much out of ideas, because everything I've searched showed pretty much everything you've suggested (and that I tried!) as suggestions

I appreciate the help, but so far (at this rate), I think I might just not have to root. This is super frustrating to me! :P

EDIT: Actually, I think I finally have something here! After hooking it up to another computer, installing the adk and everything, making sure all the drivers showed up as installed correctly and getting nothing I pretty much resided to giving up. I, for whatever reason, decided to try and run adb. After I did, and ran the start-server command, it gave me the window to accept my laptop's fingerprint! Finally on to follow the rest of the guides!

Thanks!!!

Second edit: So, proceeding to step 3 or so in RockMyMoto, I'm encountering another issue. When running Impactor and trying to run telnet on port 2222 or whatever that is, I get an error that says Signature Bugs unavailable. If I'm understanding correctly, I have to do everything in this guide to downgrade to 4.2.2 or whatever the version with the camera update is, because there isn't a root available for 4.4 without downgrading. But now I'm seeing that I somehow need to downgrade from 4.4 to the previous version in order to get Impactor/telnet working correctly?

I'm super lost now :C

dray_jr
Old
(Last edited by dray_jr; 2nd January 2014 at 03:21 AM.)
Thanks Meter 172
well in order to root 4.4 you have to downgrade to 4.2.2 camera update. if your not sure on how to do it here is a link to a video on how to do it
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446515

and if you are having issues with telnet here is a guide that might help
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2509676

if after reading that if you are still lost i can setup remote access via Teamviewer and show you how to do it. but only if you are comfortable with it.

Xenther
Old
(Last edited by Xenther; 2nd January 2014 at 04:46 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
well in order to root 4.4 you have to downgrade to 4.2.2 camera update. if your not sure on how to do it here is a link to a video on how to do it
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446515

and if you are having issues with telnet here is a guide that might help
http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2509676

if after reading that if you are still lost i can setup remote access via Teamviewer and show you how to do it. but only if you are comfortable with it.
So I'm going to work on downgrading to 4.2.2 camera update right now. Thanks for all these links and offers for help . I'll report back, hopefully with a successful root

EDIT: A question for you. Am I able to run my phone in ART runtime after I root it, should I stay in dalvik or w/e it is, or does it not matter?

dray_jr
Old
Thanks Meter 172
Quote:
So I'm going to work on downgrading to 4.2.2 camera update right now. Thanks for all these links and offers for help . I'll report back, hopefully with a successful root

EDIT: A question for you. Am I able to run my phone in ART runtime after I root it, should I stay in dalvik or w/e it is, or does it not matter?

i wouldn't see why not but i am not sure