Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,733,098 Members 46,833 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] adb "waiting for device"

Tip us?

motoxuser
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] adb "waiting for device"

I spent a good part of the day reading through all the steps to get my new device (just arrived, 4.4) rooted. I've had several rooted devices before, but always used tools to do it.

Never used adb before, but managed to get the SDK installed and have been playing around with it. That's as far as I got, however.

On my mac, using terminal, I can get adb to see my device (type ./adb devices and it lists it as connected).

When I go through this guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446515

to do any fastboot commands, I always get "waiting for device." Previously I got some kind of pipe error. Yes, usb debugging is on.

I think I'm pretty close to getting flashed down to 4.2.2, just can't get the adb to work.

tl;dr - adb gives me "waiting for device" forever. any ideas how to fix?

Thanks very much!

jayboyyyy
Old
Thanks Meter 180
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxuser View Post
I spent a good part of the day reading through all the steps to get my new device (just arrived, 4.4) rooted. I've had several rooted devices before, but always used tools to do it.

Never used adb before, but managed to get the SDK installed and have been playing around with it. That's as far as I got, however.

On my mac, using terminal, I can get adb to see my device (type ./adb devices and it lists it as connected).

When I go through this guide

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2446515

to do any fastboot commands, I always get "waiting for device." Previously I got some kind of pipe error. Yes, usb debugging is on.

I think I'm pretty close to getting flashed down to 4.2.2, just can't get the adb to work.

tl;dr - adb gives me "waiting for device" forever. any ideas how to fix?

Thanks very much!
if your phone is turned on when it is connected to the computer then you can't run fastboot commands. you can only run adb commands. If your phone is in "fastboot mode" / bootloader screen, then you can run fastboot commands but not adb commands. Not sure this is your issue but based on your info it is my best guess at where you are having problems.

motoxuser
Old
(Last edited by motoxuser; 8th January 2014 at 01:43 AM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by jayboyyyy View Post
if your phone is turned on when it is connected to the computer then you can't run fastboot commands. you can only run adb commands. If your phone is in "fastboot mode" / bootloader screen, then you can run fastboot commands but not adb commands. Not sure this is your issue but based on your info it is my best guess at where you are having problems.
that sounds about right! thanks!

how do I get the phone into fastboot mode/bootloader screen? or better yet, when i'm doing this whole process, in what mode should the phone be and how do I get it there?

mjphillips1981
Old
Thanks Meter 53

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by motoxuser View Post
that sounds about right! thanks!

how do I get the phone into fastboot mode/bootloader screen? or better yet, when i'm doing this whole process, in what mode should the phone be and how do I get it there?
adb reboot bootloader in terminal

you can you my tool kits to help you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2591875

motoxuser
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mjphillips1981 View Post
adb reboot bootloader in terminal

you can you my tool kits to help you.

http://forum.xda-developers.com/show....php?t=2591875
great! I'll do that - actually, I just sent you a PM - i'm trying to work my way through the mac tool now and got stuck. appreciate it!