5,594,151 Members 47,213 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] What are the advantages of Dev Edition?

Tip us?

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by piccit View Post
Again, no. His problem was from running 4.2.2.

I don't feel like finding the posts, but others have reported success being on 4.4.2, reflashing 4.4 system + recovery, and taking the 4.4->4.4.2 OTA without problems
And I have seen more than a few who are on the new boot loader and gone back to 4.4 and ended up hard bricked, so for the safety of most user I will continue to hold my ground on this one, happened also on 4.2.2 to 4.4 also

Sent on my Lenoto A2109 tablet
]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes

Ryno77
Old
Thanks Meter 266
Quote:
Originally Posted by edthesped View Post
Okay, what about running 4.4.2 system on 4.4 boot loader? When 4.4.2 hits BMW I plan on flashing system and modem files only. I figure worst case I'll bout loop and will have to reinstall 4.4 then decide if it's worth moving forward. I have a custom recovery so I can't accept an ota.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk

---------- Post added at 11:34 PM ---------- Previous post was at 11:33 PM ----------

Sorry for the double post i was trying to fix auto correct. I swear i turned it off.

Sent from my SM-P600 using Tapatalk
Quote:
Originally Posted by flashallthetime View Post

Curious what the answer to the question is. I, like the above poster see no reason to update my bootloader if it means I can't go back. If Verizon ever comes out with this update I would like to flash everything but the bootloader...any issue with this?

flashallthetime
Old
Thanks Meter 1276
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ryno77 View Post
Curious what the answer to the question is. I, like the above poster see no reason to update my bootloader if it means I can't go back. If Verizon ever comes out with this update I would like to flash everything but the bootloader...any issue with this?
Moto changes the game with every update , so I can't say you can do that or not. See the 4.2.2 post camera update came out , you couldn't run a kitkat ROM without some security issues and the settings menu fc'ing. It required the kitkat modem. So who knows. Worst case you'll need to update eventually
Hope that helps

]Dr EVIL EVO HAHAHAHHAHAHAHA
Don"t ask me for help,couldn't careless if your phone explodes
The Following User Says Thank You to flashallthetime For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

ieemric
Old
Thanks Meter 1
I am also looking at the difference between Developer Version and Non-Developer Version.

If just talking about the locked or unlocked bootloader, I think we can unlock the bootloader of Non-Developer Version. (I am outside US so warranty doesn't matter to me)

If also consider factory image, look like Motorola only provide factory image for Developer Edition, am I right?

So, for me, if I am going to flash ROM and kernel, am I more suitable to go for Developer Edition?

penser
Old
Thanks Meter 97
So there's no way to unlock AT&T bootloader? And can you buy the Dev Edition from a carrier? The Moto X is really tempting, but I kinda want some custom ROMs.

Sent from my MB886 using Tapatalk
Devices:
LG G2 - Stock ATT 4.4.2

Atrix HD - Stock ATT 4.1.1