Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,729,619 Members 46,737 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AMOLED grays - Prospective Buyer

Tip us?

rebeleagle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Sign [Q] AMOLED grays - Prospective Buyer

I am a prospective buyer of the Moto X and have my heart set on this phone. However, after using a friend's piece for a while today, I have concerns about the display.

I found the AMOLED display did not render the grays very nicely. They we very reddish brown in my opinion. I understand this is an AMOLED problem, but the X is supposed to have one of the best AMOLEDs out there.

Is this a problem generally in the X or was that perhaps a problem with that particular piece? Is this problem solvable via software?

Thanks!

XAlexander_AlexanderX
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeleagle View Post
I am a prospective buyer of the Moto X and have my heart set on this phone. However, after using a friend's piece for a while today, I have concerns about the display.

I found the AMOLED display did not render the grays very nicely. They we very reddish brown in my opinion. I understand this is an AMOLED problem, but the X is supposed to have one of the best AMOLEDs out there.

Is this a problem generally in the X or was that perhaps a problem with that particular piece? Is this problem solvable via software?

Thanks!
It's most likely your friends piece.. No reddish brownish grey colors here.
Current Device: MOTO X
Rooted, Dev Unlocked
Recovery: TWRP
Previous Devices: T-Mobile Wing, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G, Droid Incredible 2, LG G2X, HTC Rezound, LG Optimus L9 P769, AT&T HOX+

rebeleagle
Old
(Last edited by rebeleagle; 28th June 2014 at 06:35 PM.)
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlexander_AlexanderX View Post
It's most likely your friends piece.. No reddish brownish grey colors here.
so the grey's look grey? for example the news/forum/wiki bar near the top of this site? or the quoted text in this post?

XAlexander_AlexanderX
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
so the grey's look grey? for example the news/forum/wiki bar near the top of this site?
Dude. I think I see what you're talking about. Comparing to my dad's note 3, his is more grey and mine looks brownish grey. I've never notice that..
Rooted, Dev Unlocked
Previous Devices: T-Mobile Wing, T-Mobile MyTouch 3G, Droid Incredible 2, LG G2X, HTC Rezound, LG Optimus L9 P769, AT&T HOX+

rebeleagle
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlexander_AlexanderX View Post
Dude. I think I see what you're talking about. Comparing to my dad's note 3, his is more grey and mine looks brownish grey. I've never notice that..
Sorry Bro

XAlexander_AlexanderX
Old
Thanks Meter 78
Quote:
Sorry Bro
I mean the greys are a bit harder to distinguish on his phone but I see the reddish brownish like greys on mine. *sad face*.. He's still jealous over my phone so I still win lol. The note 3 has a larger display and higher ppi so there are going to be differences.
Rooted, Dev Unlocked

kenrw7
Old
Thanks Meter 2
Strange I don't see reddish brown s in mine , the shades of grey I find better than on my sons s4 active.

jydis
Old
Thanks Meter 7
I've noticed that the greys gets brownish when the display is set to the lowest brightness
Sent from my Moto X

pintasmapila
Old
Thanks Meter 9
Browning and reddish, yep. It doesn't really bother me. My pictures look nice and i can't tell the difference from another screen. I think this is more noticeable in the system UI. Everything else is just fine.

skudd
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Grey looks grey on my device. I've compared it to about 20 different devices I own (all with different display types) and I haven't noticed any different beyond greys being a tad darker on AMOLEDs, which isn't surprising.

The only time I found there to be an exception was when I set the brightness to 25% or less and held it up to my (far brighter) LED TV. There's an extremely subtle yellowish tint to it that I only see in this case. Immediately moving it away from my TV it looks perfectly fine again.

Long story short: You should be ok, and I wouldn't consider it a reason to not pick up the phone. Even if it were an issue, the device's pros far outweigh that minor detail. Plus you'd likely get used to it over time. Personally I think the screen looks incredible, better than on most other devices I've used.