Nvidia and Robotics w/ Barrett Williams – XDA:DevCon 2014

Robotics continues to dominate our videos from this years XDA:DevCon 2014 in … more

Speed Up Deodexing with JoelDroid Batch Deodexer

Android 5.0 Lollipop brings many under-the-hood changes like changing the default compiler … more

Top 5 Apps for 2014 + Top Xposed Mod of 2014 – XDA TV

Its that time of year where you look back and remember the things that happened … more

NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet Gets Android 5.0.1, OTA Available

The NVIDIA SHIELD Tablet is the latest Android-powered device released by famed GPU … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] AMOLED grays - Prospective Buyer

OP rebeleagle

28th June 2014, 07:10 PM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

6 posts
I am a prospective buyer of the Moto X and have my heart set on this phone. However, after using a friend's piece for a while today, I have concerns about the display.

I found the AMOLED display did not render the grays very nicely. They we very reddish brown in my opinion. I understand this is an AMOLED problem, but the X is supposed to have one of the best AMOLEDs out there.

Is this a problem generally in the X or was that perhaps a problem with that particular piece? Is this problem solvable via software?

Thanks!
28th June 2014, 07:26 PM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 95

396 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by rebeleagle

I am a prospective buyer of the Moto X and have my heart set on this phone. However, after using a friend's piece for a while today, I have concerns about the display.

I found the AMOLED display did not render the grays very nicely. They we very reddish brown in my opinion. I understand this is an AMOLED problem, but the X is supposed to have one of the best AMOLEDs out there.

Is this a problem generally in the X or was that perhaps a problem with that particular piece? Is this problem solvable via software?

Thanks!

It's most likely your friends piece.. No reddish brownish grey colors here.
28th June 2014, 07:31 PM   |  #3  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlexander_AlexanderX

It's most likely your friends piece.. No reddish brownish grey colors here.

so the grey's look grey? for example the news/forum/wiki bar near the top of this site? or the quoted text in this post?
Last edited by rebeleagle; 28th June 2014 at 07:35 PM.
28th June 2014, 07:37 PM   |  #4  

396 posts
More
Quote:

so the grey's look grey? for example the news/forum/wiki bar near the top of this site?

Dude. I think I see what you're talking about. Comparing to my dad's note 3, his is more grey and mine looks brownish grey. I've never notice that..
28th June 2014, 07:38 PM   |  #5  
OP Junior Member

6 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by XAlexander_AlexanderX

Dude. I think I see what you're talking about. Comparing to my dad's note 3, his is more grey and mine looks brownish grey. I've never notice that..

Sorry Bro
28th June 2014, 07:45 PM   |  #6  

396 posts
More
Quote:

Sorry Bro

I mean the greys are a bit harder to distinguish on his phone but I see the reddish brownish like greys on mine. *sad face*.. He's still jealous over my phone so I still win lol. The note 3 has a larger display and higher ppi so there are going to be differences.
29th June 2014, 09:58 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 4

118 posts
More
Strange I don't see reddish brown s in mine , the shades of grey I find better than on my sons s4 active.
29th June 2014, 11:28 AM   |  #8  
Flag Driel
Thanks Meter: 8

57 posts
More
I've noticed that the greys gets brownish when the display is set to the lowest brightness
29th June 2014, 12:58 PM   |  #9  
Thanks Meter: 9

113 posts
Browning and reddish, yep. It doesn't really bother me. My pictures look nice and i can't tell the difference from another screen. I think this is more noticeable in the system UI. Everything else is just fine.
29th June 2014, 01:23 PM   |  #10  

4 posts
Grey looks grey on my device. I've compared it to about 20 different devices I own (all with different display types) and I haven't noticed any different beyond greys being a tad darker on AMOLEDs, which isn't surprising.

The only time I found there to be an exception was when I set the brightness to 25% or less and held it up to my (far brighter) LED TV. There's an extremely subtle yellowish tint to it that I only see in this case. Immediately moving it away from my TV it looks perfectly fine again.

Long story short: You should be ok, and I wouldn't consider it a reason to not pick up the phone. Even if it were an issue, the device's pros far outweigh that minor detail. Plus you'd likely get used to it over time. Personally I think the screen looks incredible, better than on most other devices I've used.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread