5,595,918 Members 31,389 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

ART on Moto x

Tip us?

binary visions
Old
Thanks Meter 51
I haven't switched to ART on my Moto X yet because I generally treat me phone as needing to be stable all the time. I did switch to ART on my Nexus 7, though, and most apps worked just fine. My Yahoo Sports app experiences a very long delay (~5 seconds) when I try to look at any individual game stats for the first time after I open the app.

My NFL Sunday Ticket app also doesn't appear to be as stable, sometimes force closing which I didn't usually get before, but I haven't done back-to-back testing to see if it's actual cause/effect.

gueszman
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 6
Good to know. Im using Gravitybox and i have noticed the performance slowed down a bit. But nothing important.

Enviado desde mi XT1058 mediante Tapatalk
Xperia X10... Xperia Arc... Xperia S... Galaxy Nexus... Moto X ...

imail724
Old
Thanks Meter 1
So what exactly is the benefit of switching to ART?

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk

wsrobert
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by binary visions View Post
I haven't switched to ART on my Moto X yet because I generally treat me phone as needing to be stable all the time. I did switch to ART on my Nexus 7, though, and most apps worked just fine. My Yahoo Sports app experiences a very long delay (~5 seconds) when I try to look at any individual game stats for the first time after I open the app.

My NFL Sunday Ticket app also doesn't appear to be as stable, sometimes force closing which I didn't usually get before, but I haven't done back-to-back testing to see if it's actual cause/effect.
I just switched to ART last night on my moto x and am having the same experience you detail. If an app is already open, its lightening fast to respond/open back up. But some apps when opening for the first time take longer than they did on dalvik. Facebook for instance, takes nearly twice as long to initially open.

Tip (if you havent already) - under developer options, change the window, transition and animator duration to .5 seconds (down from 1 second). Its literally instantaneous moving between apps and such.

bloggert
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Anyone having issues with switching to ART? Every time I pick the ART option, the phone reboots and just reverts back to Dalvik. This is on a Moto X Dev. Edition.

vr3690
Old
Thanks Meter 0
I switched to apps and I think I noticed things going smoother and faster (scrolling and opening-switching apps). But that just might be the placebo effect at work.

Then WhatsApp stopped working so I had to switch back to dalvik