Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,734,036 Members 52,045 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Need Assistance. Cannot update to 4.4

Tip us?

Jay10826
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Question [Q] Need Assistance. Cannot update to 4.4

Hello, I would very much appreciate any help provided.

I just got a moto x developer edition gsm. I'll be using it on tmobile.

I've rooted lots of android phones and have never had this many problems. I tried a lot of different things on these forums and have had some success but i'm stuck now.

I was able to unlock the bootloader using motorola's site. I also have TWRP recovery installed (2.6.3.1). Currently the phone has 4.2.2 (build 13.9.0Q2.x-116-x-17-57) and its rooted, working fine.

The moral of the story is that i'm unable to update to 4.4. I've tried the OTA update twice and it downloads fine, then reboots to twrp to install it and it fails, saying something about its not ghost. Although in my system version it does say ghost. I also downloaded the 4.4 rom and manually tried to install it using twrp, also fails.

I'm not totally sure if the rom i'm on now is the same one that the phone came with. The rom that's on it now was obtained from this page:
http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0
(Android 4.2.2 Blur_Version.139.12.57.ghost_row.Retail.en.US) for t-mobile US

Please help me be able to update to 4.4 and ideally keep root.

BladeRunner
Old
Thanks Meter 98
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay10826 View Post
Hello, I would very much appreciate any help provided.

I just got a moto x developer edition gsm. I'll be using it on tmobile.

I've rooted lots of android phones and have never had this many problems. I tried a lot of different things on these forums and have had some success but i'm stuck now.

I was able to unlock the bootloader using motorola's site. I also have TWRP recovery installed (2.6.3.1). Currently the phone has 4.2.2 (build 13.9.0Q2.x-116-x-17-57) and its rooted, working fine.

The moral of the story is that i'm unable to update to 4.4. I've tried the OTA update twice and it downloads fine, then reboots to twrp to install it and it fails, saying something about its not ghost. Although in my system version it does say ghost. I also downloaded the 4.4 rom and manually tried to install it using twrp, also fails.

I'm not totally sure if the rom i'm on now is the same one that the phone came with. The rom that's on it now was obtained from this page:
http://sbf.droid-developers.org/phone.php?device=0
(Android 4.2.2 Blur_Version.139.12.57.ghost_row.Retail.en.US) for t-mobile US

Please help me be able to update to 4.4 and ideally keep root.
You need to be stock, unrooted, with stock recovery to take the OTA. Use the sbf you have to flash back your stock system and recovery and you should be good to go to accept the update.

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 650
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jay10826 View Post
The moral of the story is that i'm unable to update to 4.4. I've tried the OTA update twice and it downloads fine, then reboots to twrp to install it and it fails, saying something about its not ghost. Although in my system version it does say ghost. I also downloaded the 4.4 rom and manually tried to install it using twrp, also fails..
that is your problem. The OTA installs will not install via 3rd party recovery like TWRP and CWM.

fastboot flash the stock recovery back on your phone and try the OTA.

Jay10826
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Thanks for the help guys, going back to completely stock enabled me to get to 4.4. After that luckily I found out that rooting and installing twrp was very simple, unlike all the info i was reading in the developer forum. All set now

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Why didn't you flash the official firmware manually using fastboot? Once done, boot into Android and run adb reboot bootloader. Fastboot flash recovery twrp.img, select recovery, adb push su.zip /sdcard/, flash su.zip, adb reboot?