Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,741,079 Members 50,858 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Does ATT look for tether the same as TMobile?

Tip us?

KCJunkman
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Default [Q] Does ATT look for tether the same as TMobile?

I will be moving to ATT by the end of the month, currently using the untether mod through exposed, working great. I was wondering if this method will work after I switch to ATT..searched around, but didnt see this anywhere recently discussed

KCJunkman

JoeSchmoe007
Old
Thanks Meter 8
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJunkman View Post
I will be moving to ATT by the end of the month, currently using the untether mod through exposed, working great. I was wondering if this method will work after I switch to ATT..searched around, but didnt see this anywhere recently discussed

KCJunkman
I have XT1053 DE with unlocked bootloader and rooted on AT&T GoPhone. I can confirm that built-in USB and WiFi tethering work fine but I only used them for a short while just to see that it works. I don't know if AT&T detects it and if it does - what it will do. I also don't know if postpaid AT&T any different.

NightThyme
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by KCJunkman View Post
I read on another site that there is some sort of tether cloaker for ATT if you are rooted but I can't remember where I read it.

h1m
Old
Thanks Meter 19
To tether on TMobile you need to be rooted? I'm switching over and would like to know before I do.

KCJunkman
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 7
Well, I am on the unlimited plan, which started to come with a 2.5 gig hotspot. When I wasn't rooted, obviously my data rose on the hotspot when is tethered my iPad, but after rooting and using exposed etc. my hotspot data has stayed at .1 meg for that last 2 weeks

Sent from my iPad using Tapatalk

morehush
Old
Thanks Meter 32
I got a slap on the wrist from AT&T after I used tethering for about a week. I called them for something and they essentially said "if you keep doing that, we'll start charging you for a tethering plan."

wmdunn
Old
Thanks Meter 173
AT&T Mobile Share plans have a bucket of data, and it can be used on the device or tethering ... doesn't matter how you use it.
"Wise men still seek him ... "

NightThyme
Old
Account currently disabled
Thanks Meter 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by morehush View Post
I got a slap on the wrist from AT&T after I used tethering for about a week. I called them for something and they essentially said "if you keep doing that, we'll start charging you for a tethering plan."
do you have a grandfathered unlimited data plan.

morehush
Old
Thanks Meter 32
Nope, at the time I had a 2gb data plan.