Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,740,872 Members 52,910 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] ATT takes a week to sim unlock Moto X

Tip us?

mailxd
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 1
Post [Q] ATT takes a week to sim unlock Moto X

I have an existing ATT line (for years), currently with a S3 (with contract till late 2014).
I bought a second-hand Moto X with ATT logo on it.

When I got the S3 in 2012, I got an unlock code directly from ATT in 15min, before I travel abroad.
This time, ATT told me that they no longer directly unlock phones. Instead, the process becomes as follows:
1) fill in the device unlock request (the webpage didn't work for me, showing imei cannot be unlocked at this time; but the online chat agent filed the request on my behalf and put an 'urgent' tag on it...)
2) "someone" will call me in 3 days after the request and tell me about my "options" (wt...)
3) the request should be resolved either way a week from the initial request date

So far I've done 1, but I'm traveling in two days. From your experiences, is it possible that they will eventually refuse to send the unlock code? Does it really take a whole week? Do they always make the call in step 2 (2 days already since my request).

If I'm willing to pay 12usd, any chance those ebay/online services fail to unlock the device ?

Thanks.

thedosbox
Old
Thanks Meter 24
FWIW, I unlocked a Rogers Moto X in a few hours with cellunlocker dot net.
My days not taking you seriously have come to a middle