5,604,219 Members 49,556 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] AT&T, unlocked, no mobile data in Europe?

Tip us?

daemontus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] AT&T, unlocked, no mobile data in Europe?

Hi. I live in Europe, I was jealous of you guys, so I ordered Moto on ebay. To save some cash, I ordered locked AT&T version. Everything went great, I was able to unlock the phone, it accepted the sim card, I can make calls and send SMS. So far, so good.
Then I turned on mobile data. And...nothing happend.
To clarify: Using the same sim card, I was able to use mobile data on good old Samsung i9000, so the data is activated. It's there and should work.
So I started looking around in settings, tried turning on the data roaming and looked into the "about phone" section.
Here's what it says:
Mobile Network Type: EDGE
Service state: In service
Roaming: Not roaming
Mobile Network State: Disconnected

Is there something I need to do to "force" the connection, or should I rather discuss this with my mobile network provider?

Thanks for any help

P.S. I tried the usual stuff like reboot and eject sim and put it back, I even switched from ART back to Dalvik, The phone is running latest avaliable KitKat and is not rooted.

mickliq
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemontus View Post
Hi. I live in Europe, I was jealous of you guys, so I ordered Moto on ebay. To save some cash, I ordered locked AT&T version. Everything went great, I was able to unlock the phone, it accepted the sim card, I can make calls and send SMS. So far, so good.
Then I turned on mobile data. And...nothing happend.
To clarify: Using the same sim card, I was able to use mobile data on good old Samsung i9000, so the data is activated. It's there and should work.
So I started looking around in settings, tried turning on the data roaming and looked into the "about phone" section.
Here's what it says:
Mobile Network Type: EDGE
Service state: In service
Roaming: Not roaming
Mobile Network State: Disconnected

Is there something I need to do to "force" the connection, or should I rather discuss this with my mobile network provider?

Thanks for any help

P.S. I tried the usual stuff like reboot and eject sim and put it back, I even switched from ART back to Dalvik, The phone is running latest avaliable KitKat and is not rooted.
You didn't mention whether you checked the APN settings. My guess is that because you purchased a locked AT&T device and then unlocked it, you don't have an APN setup for your European provider. APN will be in Settings -> More -> Mobile Networks ->Access Point Names. If you go in there and either there is nothing listed or it's not the APN your mobile provider recommends, you will need to manually create the proper APN. I'm sure a quick Google Search for your provider's APN settings on Android will get you the answer.
Current Devices:

Moto X XT1053 | 32GB | Black/Black Woven | KangaKat 2.0 (KitKat 4.4.2 ROM) | TWRP 2.6.3.1
Sony z1 compact | 16GB+64GB MicroSD | White/Silver | CM11 nightly build rooted / BL unlocked | TWRP recovery
Fido Galaxy S4 i337m | 16GB + 64GB Micro SD | Sapphire | Dandroid GPe KitKat 4.4.2 ROM | TWRP 2.6.0.0
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2013 i7 2.8Ghz | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | Thunderbolt display
iPad Mini Retina | 32GB | Wi-Fi
The Following User Says Thank You to mickliq For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

daemontus
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Quote:
Originally Posted by mickliq View Post
You didn't mention whether you checked the APN settings. My guess is that because you purchased a locked AT&T device and then unlocked it, you don't have an APN setup for your European provider. APN will be in Settings -> More -> Mobile Networks ->Access Point Names. If you go in there and either there is nothing listed or it's not the APN your mobile provider recommends, you will need to manually create the proper APN. I'm sure a quick Google Search for your provider's APN settings on Android will get you the answer.
I knew I was missing something important "Copied" the APN settings from old phone and it worked like charm. Thanks a lot

Interesting thing is that on that old Samsung, I tried new ROM every month or so and never had this problem. The phone just "knew" what to do. Guess these are the perks of unlocked devices, right?

mickliq
Old
Thanks Meter 66
Quote:
Originally Posted by daemontus View Post
I knew I was missing something important "Copied" the APN settings from old phone and it worked like charm. Thanks a lot

Interesting thing is that on that old Samsung, I tried new ROM every month or so and never had this problem. The phone just "knew" what to do. Guess these are the perks of unlocked devices, right?
Glad that worked. Correct, Custom ROM's often self-provision based on a database of Carrier/APN's.
Current Devices:

Moto X XT1053 | 32GB | Black/Black Woven | KangaKat 2.0 (KitKat 4.4.2 ROM) | TWRP 2.6.3.1
Sony z1 compact | 16GB+64GB MicroSD | White/Silver | CM11 nightly build rooted / BL unlocked | TWRP recovery
Fido Galaxy S4 i337m | 16GB + 64GB Micro SD | Sapphire | Dandroid GPe KitKat 4.4.2 ROM | TWRP 2.6.0.0
MacBook Pro Retina 13" 2013 i7 2.8Ghz | 1TB SSD | 16GB RAM | Thunderbolt display
iPad Mini Retina | 32GB | Wi-Fi