XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

AUDIO QUALITY on Moto X

Tip us?

Nick_HtcOne
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 2
Cloud Search AUDIO QUALITY on Moto X

I currently own an HTC ONE GPE and trying to make a switch to Moto X. HTC ONE is considered to have the best DAC and best audio volume according to GSM arena. My only worry is audio volume and quality via headphones on Moto X ?

I have done tons of research on the topic and there seems to be mixed reviews on audio quality.
What do you guys say -
Is the audio volume loud enough ? Is it louder or par with iphones ?
Is the sound quality comparable with HTC One ?
Do i need to use low impedance or high impedance headphones ?
Or should i use bluetooth headphones like jay bluebird earbuds ?

Let me know

Legacystar
Old
Thanks Meter 58
I thought the moto x had terrible audio quality when I got it but turns out the 3d EQ setting is on my default . to me it made it sound like crap. Turn it off and walla

Sent from my XT1060 using Tapatalk
Current- Galaxy s4
Nexus 7
Past:Galaxy S3
Galaxy Nexus
Motorola Xoom
thunderbolt
Droid x
Droid 1
Samsung Rogue
Lg Voyager best damn texting phone ever

kj2112
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 1647
Not sure about the iPhone 5, but my Moto X speaker puts my wifes 4s to shame. And I just use my Samsung ear buds... They sound pretty good to me.

Sent from my Moto X cell phone telephone.....

Anthony445
Old
Thanks Meter 2
The moto x's speaker is suprisingly loud, clear, and bassy. Headphones sound great.:thumbup:
The Following User Says Thank You to Anthony445 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

RenSoAbrupt
Old
Thanks Meter 27
Quote:
Originally Posted by Anthony445 View Post
The moto x's speaker is suprisingly loud, clear, and bassy. Headphones sound great.:thumbup:
QFT, all my friends and family were surprised on how loud it was. You won't be disappointed by the speakers performance. It was another reason I chose it over the Nexus 5.

Sent from my Moto X

vikramkhalsa
Old
Thanks Meter 52
Definitely louder and richer sound on the speaker than my Nexus 4. However it doesn't sound as good through earphones, at least from what I remember. That could be equalizer settings though.

ski21
Old
Thanks Meter 3
I had the HTC One Mini, and Iphone 5s before I got the MotoX. The Moto X sound is way louder then both of those. I really notice when I put the Moto X on its back while playing music, it makes it louder. This is with WinAmp as the player. I really like the Moto X for playing music. No complaints here.
Motorola X

rymden
Old
(Last edited by rymden; 4th January 2014 at 06:52 PM.)
Thanks Meter 523
My thoughts after a week..

Call quality is good. Nothing to necessarily boast about, but no negatives to report. 75% more than loud enough for me, no complaints about quality on my end.

Speaker sounds good, again nothing to really boast about. I usually don't listen to music from the speaker - podcasts, occasional youtube - so I can't really offer up any detailed diagnosis. Definitely sounds better coming from my Galaxy Nexus, and more than suitable for my daily use.

As for headphones.. I have a decent pair and a crummy pair and they sound comparable with my other devices and music. I mainly use my Jaybird Bluebud headphones and absolutely zero complaints. 16 Ohms* for reference, and they sound great, but I haven't heard any unusual reports about headphone consistency anyways so whatever you have should translate in quality (source consistency provided). Bluetooth issues and 4.4+ seem to be more consistent with speaker setups / car use but don't quote me, but I've had no bluetooth issue between 4.2.2 and 4.4 and my headphones. Can't comment on other bluetooth compatible issues.

Can't find anything in this department to fault the device on, personally, but YMMV, of course

lower impedence is generally regarded as a good thing in iems but for reference;

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Headphones#Impedance