Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required
Post Reply

[Q] Auto vs. Manual sync (& root)

OP roeiboot

3rd August 2014, 04:06 AM   |  #1  
roeiboot's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 5
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
More
first time since getting the Moto X i am disappointed (2nd time if you count the mediocre performance of camera in low(er) light situations), looks like i cannot unlock the boot loader (AT&T non dev)). main reason i wanted it is to manually sync easily.

when i just got the device i was able to manually sync even with items selected in Settings > Accounts > Google.. now i can not get that to work as it did before, any ideas how i can set it up like that again?

thanks!
3rd August 2014, 04:11 AM   |  #2  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,790
 
2,029 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot

first time since getting the Moto X i am disappointed (2nd time if you count the mediocre performance of camera in low(er) light situations), looks like i cannot unlock the boot loader (AT&T non dev)). main reason i wanted it is to manually sync easily.

when i just got the device i was able to manually sync even with items selected in Settings > Accounts > Google.. now i can not get that to work as it did before, any ideas how i can set it up like that again?

thanks!

Bootloader unlocking doesn't have anything to do with syncing....at all. What are you wanting to sync? Make sure everything you want to sync is checked under the specific google account in Settings > Accounts > Google.

There is a possibility of unlocking the BL via the China Middleman (use search) but it will cost you money. No reason to spend money if all you want is to sync (something...?). Be more specific, and I can give better advice. I'm really not understanding...
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd August 2014, 04:34 AM   |  #3  
roeiboot's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 5
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Bootloader unlocking doesn't have anything to do with syncing....at all. What are you wanting to sync? Make sure everything you want to sync is checked under the specific google account in Settings > Accounts > Google.

There is a possibility of unlocking the BL via the China Middleman (use search) but it will cost you money. No reason to spend money if all you want is to sync (something...?). Be more specific, and I can give better advice. I'm really not understanding...

thanks!

i realize they are 2 separate things, what i meant is if i could root and add items to the quick settings screen it would be a easy way to sync.

sorry i wasn't clear. when i first got the Moto X i checked items in Settings > Accounts > Google, yet it was *NOT* an automatic sync, i had to go in and manually sync, which is what i wanted --then i think i enabled photo backup and suddenly i was unable to have items checked without it syncing automatically, so i redid my phone hoping i could have it as i liked it (mainly 'cuz i think -although a novice- syncing uses a bunch of battery, coming from iOS and being used to 7-8hrs usage)

hope i explained it better... so i want items checked in Settings > Accounts > Google, yet on the main screen of Google, under accounts the sync account was gray, and not green.
3rd August 2014, 04:44 AM   |  #4  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,790
 
2,029 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot

thanks!

i realize they are 2 separate things, what i meant is if i could root and add items to the quick settings screen it would be a easy way to sync.

sorry i wasn't clear. when i first got the Moto X i checked items in Settings > Accounts > Google, yet it was *NOT* an automatic sync, i had to go in and manually sync, which is what i wanted --then i think i enabled photo backup and suddenly i was unable to have items checked without it syncing automatically, so i redid my phone hoping i could have it as i liked it (mainly 'cuz i think -although a novice- syncing uses a bunch of battery, coming from iOS and being used to 7-8hrs usage)

hope i explained it better... so i want items checked in Settings > Accounts > Google, yet on the main screen of Google, under accounts the sync account was gray, and not green.

OK, yeah AFAIK that's not normal. It sounds like maybe you have turned on google 2-step verification. Also (I know this sounds stupid) but if you haven't rebooted recently, give it a shot.

Additionally, there are some apps that may help you depending on what your goal is:

This app will allow you to automatically trigger SYNC upon certain events. Like you can auto-sync ONLY on WiFi, and turn it off immediately upon switching back to mobile network: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...autosync&hl=en

This app allows you to add a variety of widgets including a SYNC NOW widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.synker&hl=en

This is the best advice I have for you. No reason the sync should be greyed out unless there is some kind of authentication error OR you have 2-step verification enabled.

Good Luck
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
3rd August 2014, 07:05 AM   |  #5  
roeiboot's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 5
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

OK, yeah AFAIK that's not normal. It sounds like maybe you have turned on google 2-step verification. Also (I know this sounds stupid) but if you haven't rebooted recently, give it a shot.

Additionally, there are some apps that may help you depending on what your goal is:

This app will allow you to automatically trigger SYNC upon certain events. Like you can auto-sync ONLY on WiFi, and turn it off immediately upon switching back to mobile network: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...autosync&hl=en

This app allows you to add a variety of widgets including a SYNC NOW widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.synker&hl=en

This is the best advice I have for you. No reason the sync should be greyed out unless there is some kind of authentication error OR you have 2-step verification enabled.

Good Luck

i appreciate it.. no 2 step, rebooted several times last night and this morning. trying AutoSync2.. so far flaky at best. i keep searching and/or trying to make it work, guaranteed failure if you say it should not be grayed out in "normal" condition. had a HTC One X which was unrootable and i seem to attract devices who are excluded ;}

thanks!
3rd August 2014, 07:08 AM   |  #6  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter: 1,790
 
2,029 posts
Join Date:Joined: Apr 2010
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot

i appreciate it.. no 2 step, rebooted several times last night and this morning. trying AutoSync2.. so far flaky at best. i keep searching and/or trying to make it work, guaranteed failure if you say it should not be grayed out in "normal" condition. had a HTC One X which was unrootable and i seem to attract devices who are excluded ;}

thanks!

Not a single sync option is greyed out under settings > accounts > google on my moto x. All I can suggest now is backup and factory reset... Sorry.
3rd August 2014, 07:13 AM   |  #7  
roeiboot's Avatar
OP Senior Member
Flag Columbus
Thanks Meter: 5
 
126 posts
Join Date:Joined: Jul 2008
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Not a single sync option is greyed out under settings > accounts > google on my moto x. All I can suggest now is backup and factory reset... Sorry.

no worries... did a factory reset last night, partially for this reason. you helped a lot so no need for sorry. you use Twitter and / or Facebook, one can be turned off sync wise Twitter, other can not. struck me as odd. both not important enough for me to get notifications.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread

Tags
at&t, manual, root, sync
Previous Thread Next Thread
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes