Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,812,702 Members 45,845 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Auto vs. Manual sync (& root)

Tip us?
 
roeiboot
Old
#1  
roeiboot's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 117
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus
Question [Q] Auto vs. Manual sync (& root)

first time since getting the Moto X i am disappointed (2nd time if you count the mediocre performance of camera in low(er) light situations), looks like i cannot unlock the boot loader (AT&T non dev)). main reason i wanted it is to manually sync easily.

when i just got the device i was able to manually sync even with items selected in Settings > Accounts > Google.. now i can not get that to work as it did before, any ideas how i can set it up like that again?

thanks!
--
rb

| AT&T Moto X - iPhone 5s - HTC One S |
 
samwathegreat
Old
#2  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,636
Posts: 1,907
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot View Post
first time since getting the Moto X i am disappointed (2nd time if you count the mediocre performance of camera in low(er) light situations), looks like i cannot unlock the boot loader (AT&T non dev)). main reason i wanted it is to manually sync easily.

when i just got the device i was able to manually sync even with items selected in Settings > Accounts > Google.. now i can not get that to work as it did before, any ideas how i can set it up like that again?

thanks!
Bootloader unlocking doesn't have anything to do with syncing....at all. What are you wanting to sync? Make sure everything you want to sync is checked under the specific google account in Settings > Accounts > Google.

There is a possibility of unlocking the BL via the China Middleman (use search) but it will cost you money. No reason to spend money if all you want is to sync (something...?). Be more specific, and I can give better advice. I'm really not understanding...
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.


I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE



Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
roeiboot
Old
#3  
roeiboot's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 117
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
Bootloader unlocking doesn't have anything to do with syncing....at all. What are you wanting to sync? Make sure everything you want to sync is checked under the specific google account in Settings > Accounts > Google.

There is a possibility of unlocking the BL via the China Middleman (use search) but it will cost you money. No reason to spend money if all you want is to sync (something...?). Be more specific, and I can give better advice. I'm really not understanding...
thanks!

i realize they are 2 separate things, what i meant is if i could root and add items to the quick settings screen it would be a easy way to sync.

sorry i wasn't clear. when i first got the Moto X i checked items in Settings > Accounts > Google, yet it was *NOT* an automatic sync, i had to go in and manually sync, which is what i wanted --then i think i enabled photo backup and suddenly i was unable to have items checked without it syncing automatically, so i redid my phone hoping i could have it as i liked it (mainly 'cuz i think -although a novice- syncing uses a bunch of battery, coming from iOS and being used to 7-8hrs usage)

hope i explained it better... so i want items checked in Settings > Accounts > Google, yet on the main screen of Google, under accounts the sync account was gray, and not green.
--
rb

| AT&T Moto X - iPhone 5s - HTC One S |
 
samwathegreat
Old
#4  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,636
Posts: 1,907
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot View Post
thanks!

i realize they are 2 separate things, what i meant is if i could root and add items to the quick settings screen it would be a easy way to sync.

sorry i wasn't clear. when i first got the Moto X i checked items in Settings > Accounts > Google, yet it was *NOT* an automatic sync, i had to go in and manually sync, which is what i wanted --then i think i enabled photo backup and suddenly i was unable to have items checked without it syncing automatically, so i redid my phone hoping i could have it as i liked it (mainly 'cuz i think -although a novice- syncing uses a bunch of battery, coming from iOS and being used to 7-8hrs usage)

hope i explained it better... so i want items checked in Settings > Accounts > Google, yet on the main screen of Google, under accounts the sync account was gray, and not green.
OK, yeah AFAIK that's not normal. It sounds like maybe you have turned on google 2-step verification. Also (I know this sounds stupid) but if you haven't rebooted recently, give it a shot.

Additionally, there are some apps that may help you depending on what your goal is:

This app will allow you to automatically trigger SYNC upon certain events. Like you can auto-sync ONLY on WiFi, and turn it off immediately upon switching back to mobile network: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...autosync&hl=en

This app allows you to add a variety of widgets including a SYNC NOW widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.synker&hl=en

This is the best advice I have for you. No reason the sync should be greyed out unless there is some kind of authentication error OR you have 2-step verification enabled.

Good Luck
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.


I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE



Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]
 
roeiboot
Old
#5  
roeiboot's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 117
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
OK, yeah AFAIK that's not normal. It sounds like maybe you have turned on google 2-step verification. Also (I know this sounds stupid) but if you haven't rebooted recently, give it a shot.

Additionally, there are some apps that may help you depending on what your goal is:

This app will allow you to automatically trigger SYNC upon certain events. Like you can auto-sync ONLY on WiFi, and turn it off immediately upon switching back to mobile network: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...autosync&hl=en

This app allows you to add a variety of widgets including a SYNC NOW widget: https://play.google.com/store/apps/d...d.synker&hl=en

This is the best advice I have for you. No reason the sync should be greyed out unless there is some kind of authentication error OR you have 2-step verification enabled.

Good Luck
i appreciate it.. no 2 step, rebooted several times last night and this morning. trying AutoSync2.. so far flaky at best. i keep searching and/or trying to make it work, guaranteed failure if you say it should not be grayed out in "normal" condition. had a HTC One X which was unrootable and i seem to attract devices who are excluded ;}

thanks!
--
rb

| AT&T Moto X - iPhone 5s - HTC One S |
 
samwathegreat
Old
#6  
samwathegreat's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 1,636
Posts: 1,907
Join Date: Apr 2010

 
DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by roeiboot View Post
i appreciate it.. no 2 step, rebooted several times last night and this morning. trying AutoSync2.. so far flaky at best. i keep searching and/or trying to make it work, guaranteed failure if you say it should not be grayed out in "normal" condition. had a HTC One X which was unrootable and i seem to attract devices who are excluded ;}

thanks!
Not a single sync option is greyed out under settings > accounts > google on my moto x. All I can suggest now is backup and factory reset... Sorry.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.


I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE



Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
 
roeiboot
Old
#7  
roeiboot's Avatar
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Posts: 117
Join Date: Jul 2008
Location: Columbus
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
Not a single sync option is greyed out under settings > accounts > google on my moto x. All I can suggest now is backup and factory reset... Sorry.
no worries... did a factory reset last night, partially for this reason. you helped a lot so no need for sorry. you use Twitter and / or Facebook, one can be turned off sync wise Twitter, other can not. struck me as odd. both not important enough for me to get notifications.
--
rb

| AT&T Moto X - iPhone 5s - HTC One S |

Tags
at&t, manual, root, sync
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes


Sony PS4 Remote Play Ported to All Android Devices

Im pretty sure that every informed gamer out there perked their ears up when Sony came out … more

Change Your Samsung Galaxy S2’s Dialer Background in Real Time

As with anything, if youve looked at something long enough, things can … more

Increase Your Multitasking Workflow with C-Floating Windows

Technology has put life on the fast track. Lazy, relaxed days have turned into … more

Compile Your Own Kernel From Source with Comprehensive Tutorial

One glance at any developer section of any device forum on XDA and youll find … more