Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,804,353 Members 40,649 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

FULL backup ... how?

Tip us?

d0g
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 91
Default FULL backup ... how?

I'm about to flash stock 4.4.2 prior to flashing 4.4.4 soak ... and I can't figure out how to do a complete backup of phone, in case things get screwy.

I can't do nandroid; not enough space.

I tried rsync, but couldn't get rsync running on phone as server.

I'm trying to just copy everything over with SFTP, but there are so many duplicate folders...
/storage/emulated/0 =
/storage/emulated/legacy =
/data/media/0 =
/mnt/shell/emulated/0,
etc etc.

and they don't appear as symlinks.

I tried 'adb backup ' etc ... but I don't want an ".ab" file that I cannot look into.

Is there an easier way?

thanks

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,574

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0g View Post
I'm about to flash stock 4.4.2 prior to flashing 4.4.4 soak ... and I can't figure out how to do a complete backup of phone, in case things get screwy.

I can't do nandroid; not enough space.

I tried rsync, but couldn't get rsync running on phone as server.

I'm trying to just copy everything over with SFTP, but there are so many duplicate folders...
/storage/emulated/0 =
/storage/emulated/legacy =
/data/media/0 =
/mnt/shell/emulated/0,
etc etc.

and they don't appear as symlinks.

I tried 'adb backup ' etc ... but I don't want an ".ab" file that I cannot look into.

Is there an easier way?

thanks
Copy enough stuff off the internal memory to do your backup. Then copy the backup to your PC....then put everything back.

A full backup should only take a couple gigabytes. Moving your pictures, or music or whatever is taking up all that space should suffice.

If you are returning to stock, everything will be erased anyways....unless you modify the XML or manually flash and skip the erase userdata command.

Regardless, your backup won't be fully usable once you are on 4.4.4. If you restore it, your partition table and/or bootloader will be mismatched and you will likely get FCs if you restore back to it.

Are you on a custom ROM or something?

Additionally, if you PROPERLY flash back to stock 4.4.2 (erasing userdata - which is advisable), there's nothing that will go 'screwy'...

What variant are you on? If you are using an XT1060, there is a better way.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

d0g
Old
Senior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 91
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat View Post
Copy enough stuff off the internal memory to do your backup. Then copy the backup to your PC....then put everything back...
Are you on a custom ROM or something?...
What variant are you on? If you are using an XT1060, there is a better way.
Ah, so you're saying, remove photos/videos/etc so there's room for a full nandroid, yes?

No custom ROM; I'm on XT1056.

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 1,574

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0g View Post
Ah, so you're saying, remove photos/videos/etc so there's room for a full nandroid, yes?

No custom ROM; I'm on XT1056.
Yes, it will erase it - unless you modify the XML or manually flash and skip the erase userdata command. I suggested that you take a nandroid backup, then reboot. Connect to your PC, and copy the entire nandroid backup to your PC.

Regardless, you should connect the phone to your PC and save everything on the SDCARD.
Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Looking for a new carrier? Check out Republic Wireless!
Plans starting at $10 for unlimited talk/text and $25 with unlimited data.
Use this link to save $20. RW is my carrier and I couldn't be happier with them.

I successfully CRACKED the SIM-LOCK on the Sprint XT1056 Moto X. Read about it HERE

Donate to me via BitCoin - 1samwaLJ7EdQFGME1dkUGPFZywUEKnXcT

aviwdoowks
Old
(Last edited by aviwdoowks; 26th August 2014 at 10:37 PM.)
Thanks Meter 480
Use Philz cwmr & you can do a backup right to your computer (USB mount or OTG). Or use online backup apk (play) & do a nandroid right from your home screen to your OTG card.
I am Maxx'ed, X + 1/2
Moto X, Ultra, Razr M & msm8960 STUFF

-----------------------------
----------------------------------
My xt907 Noob & Goodies links

My Moto X / Ultra links

Using TapaTalk or Xda app: You Blind!, Get a Real Browser!

Android File Transfer SUCKS! Is there a no root solution for Osx? I am resorting to Parallels DeskTop-W7.
The Following User Says Thank You to aviwdoowks For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3,513
As indicated.... Kind of a waste of time. If you go to 4.4.4 then try to nandroid restore to 4.4.2...assuming it even works... You'll be on the wrong bootloader. Then you risk many issues, the worst being a possible brick if you take an OTA down the road... Or for another reason.

Just backup apps and data if you wish... With titanium backup for example... Then if you want to be safe, transfer all your pics and what not, and the titanium backup file to your pc. Then upgrade.

You're pretty much stuck with 4. 4.4.... So a nandroid is pretty much not needed.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life? Any device welcome, even tho its an N5 thread. Please specify if on a device other than N5. Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 75
Use 'adb pull' to get whatever you want off the phone onto your computer.