FULL backup ... how?

OP d0g

26th August 2014, 05:37 AM   |  #1  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 97

848 posts
I'm about to flash stock 4.4.2 prior to flashing 4.4.4 soak ... and I can't figure out how to do a complete backup of phone, in case things get screwy.

I can't do nandroid; not enough space.

I tried rsync, but couldn't get rsync running on phone as server.

I'm trying to just copy everything over with SFTP, but there are so many duplicate folders...
/storage/emulated/0 =
/storage/emulated/legacy =
/data/media/0 =
/mnt/shell/emulated/0,
etc etc.

and they don't appear as symlinks.

I tried 'adb backup ' etc ... but I don't want an ".ab" file that I cannot look into.

Is there an easier way?

thanks
26th August 2014, 07:43 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 1,731

1,990 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0g

I'm about to flash stock 4.4.2 prior to flashing 4.4.4 soak ... and I can't figure out how to do a complete backup of phone, in case things get screwy.

I can't do nandroid; not enough space.

I tried rsync, but couldn't get rsync running on phone as server.

I'm trying to just copy everything over with SFTP, but there are so many duplicate folders...
/storage/emulated/0 =
/storage/emulated/legacy =
/data/media/0 =
/mnt/shell/emulated/0,
etc etc.

and they don't appear as symlinks.

I tried 'adb backup ' etc ... but I don't want an ".ab" file that I cannot look into.

Is there an easier way?

thanks

Copy enough stuff off the internal memory to do your backup. Then copy the backup to your PC....then put everything back.

A full backup should only take a couple gigabytes. Moving your pictures, or music or whatever is taking up all that space should suffice.

If you are returning to stock, everything will be erased anyways....unless you modify the XML or manually flash and skip the erase userdata command.

Regardless, your backup won't be fully usable once you are on 4.4.4. If you restore it, your partition table and/or bootloader will be mismatched and you will likely get FCs if you restore back to it.

Are you on a custom ROM or something?

Additionally, if you PROPERLY flash back to stock 4.4.2 (erasing userdata - which is advisable), there's nothing that will go 'screwy'...

What variant are you on? If you are using an XT1060, there is a better way.
The Following User Says Thank You to samwathegreat For This Useful Post: [ View ]
26th August 2014, 04:27 PM   |  #3  
OP Senior Member
Flag Los Angeles
Thanks Meter: 97

848 posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by samwathegreat

Copy enough stuff off the internal memory to do your backup. Then copy the backup to your PC....then put everything back...
Are you on a custom ROM or something?...
What variant are you on? If you are using an XT1060, there is a better way.

Ah, so you're saying, remove photos/videos/etc so there's room for a full nandroid, yes?

No custom ROM; I'm on XT1056.
26th August 2014, 05:42 PM   |  #4  
Thanks Meter: 1,731

1,990 posts
Donate to Me
Quote:
Originally Posted by d0g

Ah, so you're saying, remove photos/videos/etc so there's room for a full nandroid, yes?

No custom ROM; I'm on XT1056.

Yes, it will erase it - unless you modify the XML or manually flash and skip the erase userdata command. I suggested that you take a nandroid backup, then reboot. Connect to your PC, and copy the entire nandroid backup to your PC.

Regardless, you should connect the phone to your PC and save everything on the SDCARD.
26th August 2014, 07:39 PM   |  #5  
Thanks Meter: 520

2,553 posts
Use Philz cwmr & you can do a backup right to your computer (USB mount or OTG). Or use online backup apk (play) & do a nandroid right from your home screen to your OTG card.
Last edited by aviwdoowks; 26th August 2014 at 10:37 PM.
The Following User Says Thank You to aviwdoowks For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th August 2014, 02:52 AM   |  #6  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,164

10,387 posts
More
As indicated.... Kind of a waste of time. If you go to 4.4.4 then try to nandroid restore to 4.4.2...assuming it even works... You'll be on the wrong bootloader. Then you risk many issues, the worst being a possible brick if you take an OTA down the road... Or for another reason.

Just backup apps and data if you wish... With titanium backup for example... Then if you want to be safe, transfer all your pics and what not, and the titanium backup file to your pc. Then upgrade.

You're pretty much stuck with 4. 4.4.... So a nandroid is pretty much not needed.
The Following User Says Thank You to KJ For This Useful Post: [ View ]
27th August 2014, 05:05 AM   |  #7  
Thanks Meter: 100

553 posts
Use 'adb pull' to get whatever you want off the phone onto your computer.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread