Github Tutorial App Shows You How to Use… Github

Github can get pretty complicated and using it can become quite daunting, especially … more

Google Glass-like Clip-On For Regular Glasses Developed by Sony

For the price of $2,000, a pair of glasses that can run apps, take pictures, … more

Micromax Takes OnePlus to Court! Android Wear Receives Lollipop – XDA TV

Android 5.0 Lollipop is available officially for the Moto 360! … more

Google Invites Selected Devs to Buy Project Tango Development Kit

Just about a month ago, the curious Project Tango development kit was … more

Welcome to XDA

Search to go directly to your device's forum

Register an account

Unlock full posting privileges

Ask a question

No registration required

[Q] Black screen after trying to root, did i hard bricked my moto x?

OP monzillo

7th May 2014, 04:36 AM   |  #1  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
Hey guys,

So i was interested in installing a custom rom im my moto x and started by trying to root it.
Every thing was going fine, but after i placed the unlock code via CMD, i've got an error during the root process and my phone just died. Now all that i've got is a black screen, no matter if I try to hard reset or anything.

Any idea?

tl;dr my phone just died in the root process, wtf can i do?
7th May 2014, 08:53 AM   |  #2  
Thanks Meter: 132

707 posts
Unlock code? Root process?

Which model do you have? Which version of Android was it on? What exactly were you doing or using to root or unlock?
7th May 2014, 11:48 AM   |  #3  
Thanks Meter: 12

161 posts
More
Which model you have used ?
7th May 2014, 02:27 PM   |  #4  
OP Junior Member
Thanks Meter: 0

2 posts
I have a x1058, it was on android 4.4.2 and was using a tutorial from a brazilian guy, wich involved downloading adb and fastboot scripts and run them trough cmd.
8th May 2014, 03:01 AM   |  #5  
XDA: ASSIST
Recognized Contributor
Flag The boonies - southwest Ontario
Thanks Meter: 4,859

13,346 posts
More
You will need to be far more specific in what commands you did, if any...and the specific errors.

Only way we'll know what's happened.
8th May 2014, 11:56 AM   |  #6  
Thanks Meter: 29

131 posts
More
It may be of some help if you post the tutorial you followed and say exactly at what step things went wrong.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk Pro
8th May 2014, 12:49 PM   |  #7  
Recognized Contributor
Flag Thorndale/Romansville, PA
Thanks Meter: 957

2,274 posts
More
Quote:
Originally Posted by monzillo

I have a x1058, it was on android 4.4.2 and was using a tutorial from a brazilian guy, wich involved downloading adb and fastboot scripts and run them trough cmd.

The XT1058 has a locked bootloader, so I hope that tutorial didn't have you try to downgrade your ROM in order to use SlapMyMoto/MotoWpNoMo to root and disable write protection.

SlapMyMoto/RockMyMoto/etc, used on 4.4 and lower, involved downgrading the rom to use an exploit in 4.2.2 to gain root. But with 4.4.2 you can't downgrade the rom safely, without risk of bricking your phone anymore. Additionally, 4.4.2 closed the exploits used by SlapMyMoto/RockMyMoto to gain root, and the exploit used by MotoWpNoMo to disable write protection.

As others have suggested, post a link to the turtorial, and any error messages you saw while running the scripts.

Also, try booting into bootloader/fastboot mode. Can you get there? What version bootloader does it say you are on? I believe 30.B4 is 4.4.2 and 30.71 is 4.4 and 4.2.2 w/camera fix. If you have 30.B4, then your only fix might be using RSDLite to flash the 4.4.2 SBF for your carrier, or mFastboot to individually flash all parts of 4.4.2 on your phone, and then forget about rooting unless Moto's web site gives out the bootloader unlock code for your phone.

Post Reply Subscribe to Thread
Previous Thread Next Thread