Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,000 Members 38,555 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Black screen after trying to root, did i hard bricked my moto x?

Tip us?

monzillo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
Default [Q] Black screen after trying to root, did i hard bricked my moto x?

Hey guys,

So i was interested in installing a custom rom im my moto x and started by trying to root it.
Every thing was going fine, but after i placed the unlock code via CMD, i've got an error during the root process and my phone just died. Now all that i've got is a black screen, no matter if I try to hard reset or anything.

Any idea?

tl;dr my phone just died in the root process, wtf can i do?

nhizzat
Old
Thanks Meter 72
Unlock code? Root process?

Which model do you have? Which version of Android was it on? What exactly were you doing or using to root or unlock?

DANIEL AMBRUSO
Old
Thanks Meter 12
Which model you have used ?

monzillo
Old
Junior Member - OP
Thanks Meter 0
I have a x1058, it was on android 4.4.2 and was using a tutorial from a brazilian guy, wich involved downloading adb and fastboot scripts and run them trough cmd.

KJ
Old
Recognized Contributor
Thanks Meter 3216
You will need to be far more specific in what commands you did, if any...and the specific errors.

Only way we'll know what's happened.
Sent from my new HTC One M8, N7, Moto X, GTab3 or S2.

Need help with poor battery life on the N5...or any device really? Lots of info in first 4 posts! >>>>
[Battery Life Help] Troubleshoot Battery Issues Here....and Tips

LukeNukem
Old
Thanks Meter 29
It may be of some help if you post the tutorial you followed and say exactly at what step things went wrong.

Sent from my Moto X using Tapatalk Pro

HTC Desire
Galaxy S2 GT-I9100
HTC One X endeavoru

Nexus 7 (2013) Flo
ROM: AOSPAL
Kernel: franco.Kernel

Motorola Moto X XT1052
stock rooted

KidJoe
Old
Thanks Meter 740
Quote:
Originally Posted by monzillo View Post
I have a x1058, it was on android 4.4.2 and was using a tutorial from a brazilian guy, wich involved downloading adb and fastboot scripts and run them trough cmd.
The XT1058 has a locked bootloader, so I hope that tutorial didn't have you try to downgrade your ROM in order to use SlapMyMoto/MotoWpNoMo to root and disable write protection.

SlapMyMoto/RockMyMoto/etc, used on 4.4 and lower, involved downgrading the rom to use an exploit in 4.2.2 to gain root. But with 4.4.2 you can't downgrade the rom safely, without risk of bricking your phone anymore. Additionally, 4.4.2 closed the exploits used by SlapMyMoto/RockMyMoto to gain root, and the exploit used by MotoWpNoMo to disable write protection.

As others have suggested, post a link to the turtorial, and any error messages you saw while running the scripts.

Also, try booting into bootloader/fastboot mode. Can you get there? What version bootloader does it say you are on? I believe 30.B4 is 4.4.2 and 30.71 is 4.4 and 4.2.2 w/camera fix. If you have 30.B4, then your only fix might be using RSDLite to flash the 4.4.2 SBF for your carrier, or mFastboot to individually flash all parts of 4.4.2 on your phone, and then forget about rooting unless Moto's web site gives out the bootloader unlock code for your phone.
aka Mark_Venture

My Moto X tips and info

Currently using Verizon Moto X Developer Edition on my personal line.. But I have too many devices to choose from for work and personal... For the full list click -> HERE <-