Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,732,846 Members 51,091 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] if you can unlock bootloader on motorola.com, why aren't people doing it?

Tip us?

BaconDrips
Old
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 5
Default [Q] if you can unlock bootloader on motorola.com, why aren't people doing it?

How come people aren't talking about this? Would I be able to root if the bootloader is unlocked?

alphadog00
Old
Thanks Meter 42
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconDrips View Post
How come people aren't talking about this? Would I be able to root if the bootloader is unlocked?
The popular carriers like AT&T and VZW don't allow it - so that prevents a large group from doing it.
Samsung Captivate - rooted
iPhone - jailbroken
The Following User Says Thank You to alphadog00 For This Useful Post: [ Click to Expand ]

codymoto
Old
Thanks Meter 0
Cause most carrier phones don't have their option to unlock the boot loader. But yes if you do unluck the boot loader you can root. But you can also root without unlocking thanks to jcase's pwnmymoto root method.

thepolishguy
Old
Thanks Meter 177
Quote:
Originally Posted by BaconDrips View Post
Most people aren't talking about it because I guess they figure you know whether or not you bought a phone that could be unlocked. If you are bootloader unlocked then yes - you just flash su.zip in cwm or twrp and you are good to go.

So if you are on Sprint or T-mobile, US Cellular or international go for it.
ROM supporter. HTC Imagio. Original Droid. Motorola Droid X. Samsung Galaxy S. Sprint Nexus S. Samsung Droid Charge. HTC ThunderBolt. Samasung Galaxy Nexus. Samsung Galaxy Note2. Samsung GalaxyS4. HTC One. MotoX. MotoX Dev Ed. HTC One M8. Samsung Galaxy Note3.

Droyyd
Old
Thanks Meter 33

DONATE TO ME
Unlocking the bootloader voids warranties as well...doing it through the website makes that void permanent whereas if you did it without the website you can still have your phone go through the warranty process as long as you unroot and relock the bootloader. that's what i love about the nexus devices

|Carrier:T-Mobile Unlimited 4G Device:Moto X (DEGSM) |Case:Clear Air Jacket |ROM:STOCK |Kernel:STOCK

Radio2006
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Clock Ugh!!!

Glad I ran into this. I was going through the process to unlock my XT1080M on the site...looks like I'm waiting for the non-Chinese path.

rocketsaucev2
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio2006 View Post
Glad I ran into this. I was going through the process to unlock my XT1080M on the site...looks like I'm waiting for the non-Chinese path.
There's no 'non Chinese' path for Verizon phones. Unless you have a developer edition

Sent from my XT1060

samwathegreat
Old
Thanks Meter 429

DONATE TO ME
Quote:
Originally Posted by Droyyd View Post
Unlocking the bootloader voids warranties as well...doing it through the website makes that void permanent whereas if you did it without the website you can still have your phone go through the warranty process as long as you unroot and relock the bootloader. that's what i love about the nexus devices
While this may be true for Nexus devices, it doesn't apply to the Moto X.

The Moto X bootloader has 3 states:

Locked, Unlocked, and Re-Locked

Once you have unlocked, if you subsequently re-lock, the status changes to "Re-Locked". You can NEVER get it back to "Locked". So regardless of whether you get your code from the official Moto Unlock site or the Middleman, they still know that you had unlocked previously. There is no way around this...
Remember: the "SEARCH" button will often save you a great deal of time waiting for a reply.

Help us keep XDA fun and safe. Please read the RULES, and please respect your fellow members.

Quote of the year:
Quote:
Originally Posted by doitinthedirt View Post
Well Google now doesn't work worth an iPhone. .I've spoken those last two lines ADB shell commands out loud for the past 15 minutes and I don't get root

Radio2006
Old
Thanks Meter 1
Quote:
Originally Posted by rocketsaucev2 View Post
There's no 'non Chinese' path for Verizon phones. Unless you have a developer edition

Sent from my XT1060
Hence the reason I am waiting.

rocketsaucev2
Old
Thanks Meter 38
Quote:
Originally Posted by Radio2006 View Post
Hence the reason I am waiting.
Waiting for what?

Sent from my XT1060