Attend XDA's Second Annual Developer Conference, XDA:DevCon 2014!
5,772,000 Members 38,716 Now Online
XDA Developers Android and Mobile Development Forum

[Q] Bluetooth Auto-Connect with Car Stereo

Tip us?
 
Se7enLC
Old
#1  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 94
Join Date: Dec 2009
Question [Q] Bluetooth Auto-Connect with Car Stereo

Has anyone else had trouble getting the Moto X to automatically connect to Car Bluetooth?

My previous phone (Galaxy Nexus) worked fine, and so did my tablet (Nexus 7) when I tested it. The Moto X only connects if I toggle bluetooth off and back on again or if I select CAR MULTIMEDIA from the Bluetooth device list (I have a Subaru Outback). Other phones always connected automatically as soon as I turned the car on.

Does anyone have a fix or a workaround?
 
jasoraso
Old
#2  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 132
Posts: 450
Join Date: May 2007
Location: Salt Lake City, UT
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
Has anyone else had trouble getting the Moto X to automatically connect to Car Bluetooth?

My previous phone (Galaxy Nexus) worked fine, and so did my tablet (Nexus 7) when I tested it. The Moto X only connects if I toggle bluetooth off and back on again or if I select CAR MULTIMEDIA from the Bluetooth device list (I have a Subaru Outback). Other phones always connected automatically as soon as I turned the car on.

Does anyone have a fix or a workaround?
Mine is autoconnecting to my Kenwood HU.

Maybe try deleting all previous pairings on BT unit, and then re-pair the Moto X?

As a workaround, you could get an NFC tag and stick it on the dash or somewhere, and program it so when you tap the phone against it, it forces the BT connection.
 
Se7enLC
Old
(Last edited by Se7enLC; 23rd January 2014 at 12:52 AM.)
#3  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 94
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasoraso View Post
Mine is autoconnecting to my Kenwood HU.

Maybe try deleting all previous pairings on BT unit, and then re-pair the Moto X?

As a workaround, you could get an NFC tag and stick it on the dash or somewhere, and program it so when you tap the phone against it, it forces the BT connection.
I did a full reset of the car stereo settings, and I've removed and re-added a number of times. I had been trying to figure out the Trusted Device thing and I only later realized that it only comes up if you have a screen lock other than "slide".

NFC could work, but that's not much easier than just toggling bluetooth. My goal is to have my phone connect even if I don't take it out of my pocket like my old phone did.

I don't know if the issue is specific to Subaru and Moto X or not. My Galaxy Nexus was running 4.4 and worked fine, but I think Moto and AOSP use different Bluetooth.

EDIT: I just tried poking through the options in the car again. It has a setting where you can pick if the connection is initiated by the car or the device, and I switched it. So far it seems to be working!
 
Se7enLC
Old
#4  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 94
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
I did a full reset of the car stereo settings, and I've removed and re-added a number of times. I had been trying to figure out the Trusted Device thing and I only later realized that it only comes up if you have a screen lock other than "slide".

NFC could work, but that's not much easier than just toggling bluetooth. My goal is to have my phone connect even if I don't take it out of my pocket like my old phone did.

I don't know if the issue is specific to Subaru and Moto X or not. My Galaxy Nexus was running 4.4 and worked fine, but I think Moto and AOSP use different Bluetooth.

EDIT: I just tried poking through the options in the car again. It has a setting where you can pick if the connection is initiated by the car or the device, and I switched it. So far it seems to be working!
As it turns out, it *DOESN'T* work. It was a fluke that it appeared to work.

It doesn't matter if it's set to be Car or Device initiated, it does not automatically connect. If I toggle bluetooth or manually initiate a connection from the device end, it will connect and work just fine, however.

Any ideas? Anyone else have a similar experience with the Moto X?
 
Solutions Etcetera
Old
#5  
Solutions Etcetera's Avatar
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 155
Posts: 797
Join Date: Oct 2012
Location: Sierra Nevada (west slope)
I have a Logitech adaptor in my truck and its behavior is that the phone connects to it fine initially, but when power is removed and restored to the Logitech, it will not reconnect automatically. This is unfortunate as starting most vehicles turns off all accessory power while the starter is cranking.

I have another, cheaper bluetooth receiver that does reconnect, but it does not sound as good as the Logitech (and has ground loop issues).

In my case, the behavior is not limited to the Moto X as I have the same behavior with several Nexus devices as well.
 
JoeSchmoe007
Old
#6  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 120
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
Has anyone else had trouble getting the Moto X to automatically connect to Car Bluetooth?

My previous phone (Galaxy Nexus) worked fine, and so did my tablet (Nexus 7) when I tested it. The Moto X only connects if I toggle bluetooth off and back on again or if I select CAR MULTIMEDIA from the Bluetooth device list (I have a Subaru Outback). Other phones always connected automatically as soon as I turned the car on.

Does anyone have a fix or a workaround?
What Android version are you running? If 4.4 - try downgrading to 4.2.2 (I am not responsible if you brick your phone). Google started using new version of Bluetooth stack in 4.4 and it is not compatible with some devices.

I am on 4.2.2 and have zero problem with my car Bluetooth.
 
Se7enLC
Old
#7  
Member - OP
Thanks Meter 19
Posts: 94
Join Date: Dec 2009
Quote:
Originally Posted by JoeSchmoe007 View Post
What Android version are you running? If 4.4 - try downgrading to 4.2.2 (I am not responsible if you brick your phone). Google started using new version of Bluetooth stack in 4.4 and it is not compatible with some devices.

I am on 4.2.2 and have zero problem with my car Bluetooth.
It's a DE, so I'm not worried about bricking... But I haven't been on 4.2 for a long time and I'd rather not go back, even to diagnose a bug.

The major Bluetooth stack change (BlueZ to Bluedroid) actually happened in 4.2, so 4.2.2 would have already had it. There have been other changes, though, of course, and I imagine any of them could be responsible for the regression. Glad to know I'm not the only one with the problem, at least.
 
JoeSchmoe007
Old
#8  
Senior Member
Thanks Meter 8
Posts: 120
Join Date: Mar 2011
Quote:
Originally Posted by Se7enLC View Post
It's a DE, so I'm not worried about bricking... But I haven't been on 4.2 for a long time and I'd rather not go back, even to diagnose a bug.

The major Bluetooth stack change (BlueZ to Bluedroid) actually happened in 4.2, so 4.2.2 would have already had it. There have been other changes, though, of course, and I imagine any of them could be responsible for the regression. Glad to know I'm not the only one with the problem, at least.
I think you should be worried about bricking. This is a quote from now deleted thread:
Quote:
This is a simple chart what can and can't not be downgraded, Thanks to Dray_jr :thumbup:

the only OTA that can downgrade is 4.4 to 4.2.2 Post Cam

here is what we know right now that might make more sense

4.4 to 4.2.2 Pre Cam will Brick
4.2.2 Post Cam to 4.2.2 Pre Cam will Brick.
4.4.2 to to anything will Brick
4.4 to 4.2.2 Post Cam you are ok

Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search
Display Modes